⌨️ Keystroke v1.0 [Feedback & Hack Share]

All about the past, current and future webteases and the art of webteasing in general.
---

Favorite Early Zone (vote twice)

✏️ School 🏫
29%
👑 Princess Tower 👸
17%
🌈 Color World 🎨
12%
🏠 House 🛏️
17%
🚁 Military Zone 🎖️
13%
🏝️ Beach 🏖️
13%

Total votes: 229

deity
Explorer
Explorer

Re: ⌨️ Keystroke v1.0 [Feedback & Hack Share]

Post by deity »

I have a question i found
21/36 hacks, but it doesnt give me anymore
Spoiler: show
even explorer doesnt help
Did i find them all or do i have to do something tricky?
I also dont understand the hints for the 3 codes with This hack message is different... enter This hack message is different... code This hack message is different... need could you give me an hint. Even the genie didnt have hacks left to give me so im stuck
indyc
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by indyc »

For the multipart hacks, if you know the entire "set" you simply type and submit them one at a time in the correct order.
FatherDarkness wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:35 pm This tease is fantastic. There is so much to discover. It would be nice to have a bit more variation with bosses, so it's not always the same ones at the end of each level.
I'm so glad it landed so well for you! There are multiple bosses on most levels but I am working to add more boss variety as well. The boss encounters take me a really long time and I'm still trying to get through bugs/reworks. The patreon version already has a second library boss.
deity wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:53 pm I have a question i found
I also dont understand the hints for the 3 codes with This hack message is different... enter This hack message is different... code This hack message is different... need could you give me an hint. Even the genie didnt have hacks left to give me so im stuck
Unless there is a bug that I don't know about you should be able to get to all 36 hacks eventually, some are just way more rare than others.

If the genie is saying that she doesn't have anymore to give it means that you have found all of the common and uncommon hacks (her gift excludes any rare/ultra rare/legendary)

Let me know if you have any other questions!
FatherDarkness
Explorer
Explorer
Sexual Orientation: Straight
I am a: Dom (Male)

Post by FatherDarkness »

deity wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:53 pm
One of the hacks you are missing the middle one.
1) enter
2) pizza
3) code

and it takes 2 of each caterpillar, ladybug, and bee to work. Type in one, then the next, then the next.
The "missing data" shows you which position in the entry order the part of the hack goes.
deity
Explorer
Explorer

Post by deity »

indyc wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:11 pm For the multipart hacks, if you know the entire "set" you simply type and submit them one at a time in the correct order.
FatherDarkness wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:35 pm This tease is fantastic. There is so much to discover. It would be nice to have a bit more variation with bosses, so it's not always the same ones at the end of each level.
I'm so glad it landed so well for you! There are multiple bosses on most levels but I am working to add more boss variety as well. The boss encounters take me a really long time and I'm still trying to get through bugs/reworks. The patreon version already has a second library boss.
deity wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:53 pm I have a question i found
Unless there is a bug that I don't know about you should be able to get to all 36 hacks eventually, some are just way more rare than others.

If the genie is saying that she doesn't have anymore to give it means that you have found all of the common and uncommon hacks (her gift excludes any rare/ultra rare/legendary)

Let me know if you have any other questions!
aah okay, thanks for the information.

I expected that i had to do something odd or very specfic, I even tried several runs with
older, younger, redheads etc.
since I expected some trickery thanks to trail of succubus, but guess I just spam a few more rounds

But got to say I love the tease, also a great fan of you other work, (trails of) But this one is better for a quick play, and for now it is easier to get 100%
deity
Explorer
Explorer

Post by deity »

FatherDarkness wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:37 pm
deity wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:53 pm
One of the hacks you are missing the middle one.
1) enter
2) pizza
3) code

and it takes 2 of each caterpillar, ladybug, and bee to work. Type in one, then the next, then the next.
The "missing data" shows you which position in the entry order the part of the hack goes.
sorry for hte late response just missed this one.

Thanks for the info. hope the hidden conent is good.
Errant__
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Errant__ »

After playing this way too many times already, I'm far overdue to provide feedback. First off, indyc, this is amazing! Incredibly creative, and I've had a blast playing through it. And I'm so glad that Trials didn't end up being your final project after all, and that you're getting duly rewarded for your artistry -- you more than deserve it.

Here are a bunch of assorted thoughts on the game:

- I love the hypno content and some of the other status effects -- I just wish they had more of an effect on the game. I'm sure that's coming in the future :)

- The intro, to me, is super confusing, especially from an "explaining the story" POV. I remember watching it multiple times, even having played the game a few times, and still wondering what exactly was going on.

- I'm sure others have mentioned this, but having to double click is really annoying and breaks the flow of the game. If there was some way to substitute that with, say, pressing space bar... it would be amazing! But I figure there's some technical limitation here...

- I swear, sometimes the typing precision is incorrect (e.g. it's being more lenient than it should be, for example thinking I did a perfect when I didn't -- and I'm not talking about punctuation/capitalization changes). If I find a concrete example of this I can share.

- I don't understand why the hack database resets after you win the game. Shouldn't it be a permanent thing? I have kind of similar feelings about the "weakness" calibration resetting (maybe a partial reset is okay, so you still have some variety?).

- Speaking of weaknesses, I *LOVE* that idea, but I felt like I didn't see much changing based on how I was trying to calibrate it. I assume this is mostly because there isn't that much content per level right now, so it's hard to slot in enough of the "right" stuff.

- Maybe my most fundamental piece of feedback is that I find the incentives of the game a little... confusing. I suppose it's kind of the natural tension of the game -- winning vs... uhm, enjoying. This comes out especially strongly in the deleting vs keeping decision: if I'm "weak" to a particular enemy, shouldn't I delete them? But that kind of feels like ruining the point of the game. Now it's true, deleting comes with the downside of never seeing that girl anymore, so I guess it's a tough choice :blush:

- Another kind of strange incentive: the optimal strategy for purely winning seems to be to type just well enough to strong, but not perfect. That way you never get the timer down to the point where it's hard, but you still do enough damage to win fights.

- It would be nice if there was a slightly decreased chance of getting hack rewards that are ones you've received already. I've played a lot trying to get the multi-part hack pieces, but no luck so far.

- You can kind of "cheat" by using cheap or free hacks to see past the glitches without taking damage :)

- Despite trying to piss her off as much as possible, I still have no idea what Ember's concern level does :lol:

That's all for now, I'm sure I'll have more in future playthroughs :). Thank you for making this, and I'm very excited to see how it grows!
Formerly Errant_...
indyc
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by indyc »

Errant__ wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:26 am After playing this way too many times already, I'm far overdue to provide feedback. First off, indyc, this is amazing! Incredibly creative, and I've had a blast playing through it. And I'm so glad that Trials didn't end up being your final project after all, and that you're getting duly rewarded for your artistry -- you more than deserve it.
Why thank you! I do wish there was more discussion but I guess Milovana isn't the place for that anymore.
Errant__ wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:26 am - The intro, to me, is super confusing, especially from an "explaining the story" POV. I remember watching it multiple times, even having played the game a few times, and still wondering what exactly was going on.
Hmmm, my whole "plot" was that your computer was infected by a virus that drew you in. I guess I was hoping that it would be light enough to not require much explanation but let me know if you have ideas or feedback in what places made you go "what...?" or "why?". I always have trouble introducing or concluding things haha.
Errant__ wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:26 am - I'm sure others have mentioned this, but having to double click is really annoying and breaks the flow of the game. If there was some way to substitute that with, say, pressing space bar... it would be amazing! But I figure there's some technical limitation here...
Yes, definitely a technical limitation. Even more have looked at it since it was discussed months ago without succeeding. Rest assured that no one is as irritated about it as I am. In the meantime I think using tab will work in a similar way but it isn't nearly as helpful as space.
Errant__ wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:26 am - I don't understand why the hack database resets after you win the game. Shouldn't it be a permanent thing? I have kind of similar feelings about the "weakness" calibration resetting (maybe a partial reset is okay, so you still have some variety?).

It definitely should not be doing this, the hack database should be permanent until you wipe it yourself and I am now very worried that there is a major bug in what is a core of the game. This would deal with the saves which are super hard for me to fix! I just went and tried to recreate it but it worked in my few runs. Tell me more!
Errant__ wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:26 am - Speaking of weaknesses, I *LOVE* that idea, but I felt like I didn't see much changing based on how I was trying to calibrate it. I assume this is mostly because there isn't that much content per level right now, so it's hard to slot in enough of the "right" stuff.
I wonder if I explained the weaknesses/preferences system correctly. Each time you lose to a girl or save her, it is a vote to see more of her attributes. Each time you delete or run from a girl, it is a vote to see less of those attributes. That is all that it is doing and it doesn't make you weaker or stronger against anything. (Thematically you are "weak" against them because they are visually tempting to you and why would you not want to see more?) However, you are correct - I need about twice as much content as the already massive content for it to make more of an impact.
Errant__ wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:26 am - Another kind of strange incentive: the optimal strategy for purely winning seems to be to type just well enough to strong, but not perfect. That way you never get the timer down to the point where it's hard, but you still do enough damage to win fights.

I am still trying to figure out if the bigger impact on timers getting shorter is submitting things faster but I honestly don't know yet. Some of the behind the scenes code rarely works the way I think it will and there has been a ton of trial and error with me never being 100% finished with it. But yes, partial submissions are definitely a very "strong" way to play but not good for speedrunning hacks.
Errant__ wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:26 am - It would be nice if there was a slightly decreased chance of getting hack rewards that are ones you've received already. I've played a lot trying to get the multi-part hack pieces, but no luck so far.

- You can kind of "cheat" by using cheap or free hacks to see past the glitches without taking damage :)

I "think" it is doing that just barely but yes, it is mostly random chance. I REALLY wanted it to be nearly impossible to fill your hack database alone to make you have to spark discussion and try to trade with others in the milovana forums or anywhere else. I don't think I ever explained that desire well enough and Milovana kinda crashed when I was about to give everyone the tutorial.

The "cheat" is supposed to work like that for the most part.
Errant__ wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:26 am - Despite trying to piss her off as much as possible, I still have no idea what Ember's concern level does :lol:
When her concern gets to 5 she will cut the fight short into an autoloss. Maybe I set that value too high?

Thanks so much for the detailed feedback! I wouldn't make stuff if I wasn't able to discuss it!
edger477
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Straight
I am a: None of the above

Post by edger477 »

I love how someone shared your tease to milovana-projects channel in Joanne's discord, and then another user came and reported how that link contains a virus :w00t:

I laughed so hard.... but the message was deleted later
grelgen
Explorer
Explorer

Post by grelgen »

here's a really terrible replacement option for double clicking to type
https://milovana.com/webteases/showteas ... 2dd92efee4

basically each button click could append the text to the submission string. you could maybe just put the whole keyboard up there and make us click each key.
Errant__
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Errant__ »

indyc wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:20 pm Hmmm, my whole "plot" was that your computer was infected by a virus that drew you in. I guess I was hoping that it would be light enough to not require much explanation but let me know if you have ideas or feedback in what places made you go "what...?" or "why?". I always have trouble introducing or concluding things haha.
I re-read it, and now that I understand the story it mostly makes sense, but I think it's a little overwhelming for a new player. I think part of my confusion was Liya's affiliation. There's a very brief mention of why, but it didn't really make sense to me that she's part of the virus (because why would the virus be explaining how to beat itself)? The double clicking explanation is also very confusing until you've played a bit; and the stuff about program and integrity is very abstract until you've actually played.
indyc wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:20 pm Yes, definitely a technical limitation. Even more have looked at it since it was discussed months ago without succeeding. Rest assured that no one is as irritated about it as I am. In the meantime I think using tab will work in a similar way but it isn't nearly as helpful as space.
I'm curious -- I noticed that this (moving to the next prompt with space) actually works perfectly in the Tori volleyball game. What's the difference between that and the regular prompts? Is it because the regular prompts have two choices (type or skip)? If so, maybe you could make skipping happen by typing nothing (or typing "s") instead of a button?
indyc wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:20 pm It definitely should not be doing this, the hack database should be permanent until you wipe it yourself and I am now very worried that there is a major bug in what is a core of the game. This would deal with the saves which are super hard for me to fix! I just went and tried to recreate it but it worked in my few runs. Tell me more!
Of course, when I tried to reproduce it once more, it actually preserved my database between games... so perhaps it's been fixed. What I can tell you is that every single time I won prior to that, my entire save seemed to disappear (all hacks gone, name isn't remembered, etc.). I had to use a text file to keep track of the hacks between games.

I have encountered a new bug instead, though: sometimes when beating a boss, it basically skips over showing me the hack -- I see the green screen for like half a second, and then it moves on to the next stage. I believe the new hack might still appear in the database though.
indyc wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:20 pm I wonder if I explained the weaknesses/preferences system correctly. Each time you lose to a girl or save her, it is a vote to see more of her attributes. Each time you delete or run from a girl, it is a vote to see less of those attributes. That is all that it is doing and it doesn't make you weaker or stronger against anything. (Thematically you are "weak" against them because they are visually tempting to you and why would you not want to see more?) However, you are correct - I need about twice as much content as the already massive content for it to make more of an impact.
I think it's reasonably well-explained in the game -- I guess it's just a hard conflict with my strong desire to win at all costs :-P. So for me, I was almost thinking about it the other way: if it was a really hard/tempting fight, deleting it is more conducive to winning, and so the AI should actually boost attributes of girls I deleted :)
I think the way you have it for deleting makes sense, though. I'm not quite so sure about running -- depends if you're running because it's challenging, or because you actually don't like the fight. In my case, rather than running away from fights I don't like, I try to just speed through and delete them.
indyc wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:20 pm When her concern gets to 5 she will cut the fight short into an autoloss. Maybe I set that value too high?
I tried several times to do the things I thought would anger her the most, and only got to 3. But maybe I missed something.

BTW, two misspelled prompts: "Satruated bliss", "target aquired"
Last edited by Errant__ on Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly Errant_...
Errant__
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Errant__ »

Another thought: have you considered adjusting preferences based on number of turns spent (normalized by the program's max integrity), and/or number of turns skipped?
Formerly Errant_...
shadows
Explorer
Explorer

Post by shadows »

As far as the weakness system goes, I think my main problem with it is a lack of information. It's probably doing its job, but sometimes the attributes of the girls aren't immediately obvious to me. It wasn't until i got the hack that lets me adjust my preferences that I even knew what any of the categories were. Listing the girls attributes, either before you choose to save her or after, would give more information about the system, and when you see similar attributes pop up in the future you can see the effect your decisions have made.
indyc
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by indyc »

Errant__ wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:46 am I'm curious -- I noticed that this (moving to the next prompt with space) actually works perfectly in the Tori volleyball game. What's the difference between that and the regular prompts? Is it because the regular prompts have two choices (type or skip)? If so, maybe you could make skipping happen by typing nothing (or typing "s") instead of a button?
I got really excited thinking that what I did on the volleyball scene was a key to my problems but I wasn't able to recreate what you experienced. It is working like the other scenes to me, just without the double click needed. Space does not start typing for me, only tab like the other encounters.
Errant__ wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:46 am I have encountered a new bug instead, though: sometimes when beating a boss, it basically skips over showing me the hack -- I see the green screen for like half a second, and then it moves on to the next stage. I believe the new hack might still appear in the database though.
Though it could be shown better visually this isn't a bug. Bosses don't always drop a hack. Thanks for the other reports, I'll get them fixed.
Errant__ wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:51 am Another thought: have you considered adjusting preferences based on number of turns spent (normalized by the program's max integrity), and/or number of turns skipped?
Personally I'm having enough problems conveying what the preference system is doing that if I added any more complication it would make it a harder task. Based off of the encounter length might be a better option for preferences mechanically but it's harder to give player feedback and harder to code.
shadows wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:49 am As far as the weakness system goes, I think my main problem with it is a lack of information. It's probably doing its job, but sometimes the attributes of the girls aren't immediately obvious to me. It wasn't until i got the hack that lets me adjust my preferences that I even knew what any of the categories were. Listing the girls attributes, either before you choose to save her or after, would give more information about the system, and when you see similar attributes pop up in the future you can see the effect your decisions have made.
Yeah, I have thought about ways to list it but haven't figured out where or how. I also think people would disagree with a lot of the attribute values I decided haha.
deity
Explorer
Explorer

Post by deity »

only saw now that the idea is to share hacks well in that case.

i got 24/36
refresh 2 caterpillars: reset program encounter
pause 2 caterpillars slow timer 2 sec
repair 2 ladybugs repare 15 files and redo prompt
Vcard 4 lady bugs become virgin again
quarter 4 ladybugs remove 25% corrutpion
stringer 2 bees reduce 5 stability opponent
again 1 caterpillar :face more prgorams from zone
boss 3 bees face boss next
teleport 8 caterpillars go to next level
frag 3 caterpillars cease file fragmentation
rip 2spider reduce progam stability by 4 remove glich. file corruption +5%
aoe 1 bee reduce program stability by 2 per opponent
undress gain 1 spider raise corruption by 3 (assume you lose clothes)
girls: 2 caterpillars adjust encounters attributes
clear : 1 spider remove glitch current photo
file 3 ladybugs add 20 files
hive (all bees) reduce program stability by 2 per bee used
this is one combined but has to be filled in one by one
summons : (cost 2 lady bugs)
pizza (cost 2 bees)
code (cost 2 caterpillars)

missing parts of this one
need (cost 3 bees)

explore 4 caterpillars find additional hacks)
swim view liya swimsuits.
If you have any i am missing please tell me.
indyc
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by indyc »

deity wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:31 am only saw now that the idea is to share hacks well in that case.

i got 24/36
refresh 2 caterpillars: reset program encounter
pause 2 caterpillars slow timer 2 sec
repair 2 ladybugs repare 15 files and redo prompt
Vcard 4 lady bugs become virgin again
quarter 4 ladybugs remove 25% corrutpion
stringer 2 bees reduce 5 stability opponent
again 1 caterpillar :face more prgorams from zone
boss 3 bees face boss next
teleport 8 caterpillars go to next level
frag 3 caterpillars cease file fragmentation
rip 2spider reduce progam stability by 4 remove glich. file corruption +5%
aoe 1 bee reduce program stability by 2 per opponent
undress gain 1 spider raise corruption by 3 (assume you lose clothes)
girls: 2 caterpillars adjust encounters attributes
clear : 1 spider remove glitch current photo
file 3 ladybugs add 20 files
hive (all bees) reduce program stability by 2 per bee used
this is one combined but has to be filled in one by one
summons : (cost 2 lady bugs)
pizza (cost 2 bees)
code (cost 2 caterpillars)

missing parts of this one
need (cost 3 bees)

explore 4 caterpillars find additional hacks)
swim view liya swimsuits.
If you have any i am missing please tell me.
I originally meant one at a time but this is fine just this once to get things started haha! Well done so far. Which one is your favorite?

There are even more hacks including at least 4 legendary hacks in the next version to look forward too as well.