1-star raters

Do you think Milovana.com is perfect in every way? Hopefully not, so what can we do to improve? Every idea, suggestion or criticism is highly appreciated.
Nezhul
Experimentor
Experimentor
Sexual Orientation: Straight

1-star raters

Post by Nezhul »

I'v noticed that every tease get's a few 1-star votes, sometimes it happens the minute after release, when it's clear that it couldn't be even remotely appreciated yet. It doesn't really affect anything as every tease of every author gets it. Seems to me, some people are just rating everything with 1-star (especially flash - it's easy to rate right away).

Maybe we could moderate this situation somehow, and take away the right to vote from users who rate everything low just to troll upon?

Or just make an option in the profile to view user's votes, so the community would know their heroes )
Check out my new site, and read SexTV story there!
Also I have the DARK section that features feature Erotic Horror.
I also launched a SubscribeStar recently! Please come check it out!
Updated whenever I feel like it. :wave: :love:
cactusman
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Re: 1-star raters

Post by cactusman »

Nezhul wrote:I'v noticed that every tease get's a few 1-star votes, sometimes it happens the minute after release, when it's clear that it couldn't be even remotely appreciated yet. It doesn't really affect anything as every tease of every author gets it. Seems to me, some people are just rating everything with 1-star (especially flash - it's easy to rate right away).

Maybe we could moderate this situation somehow, and take away the right to vote from users who rate everything low just to troll upon?

Or just make an option in the profile to view user's votes, so the community would know their heroes )
First, such ratings of teases are not votes, they are ratings. I think it's useful to use that terminology, as it shouldn't be confused with voting for TOTM, for example.

But I've noticed the same thing. (And it's not me doing it!) I think it makes authors feel bad, so I think if people like milovana, then they should learn to live and let live. Expressing their preferences with such ratings is going to discourage the authors here. Even negative comments in postings would be better, as at least the author would get some feedback.

Still, I don't think it's sensible to have a way to view user ratings. For one thing, most users of the site are probably anonymous. For another, there should be some expectation that these ratings are private.

My theory is that the bad ratings result from radically different user preferences. Some people may think that they are just making ratings to make it easier to find the kind of teases that they like. That is true, to some extent, but if we have two completely opposed sets of preferences (e.g., people who like cum-eating and those who don't, to steer away from the sexual preferences that lead to more heat than light), then their votes will tend to cancel each other out, leaving all teases with a 3 rating or so, unless people voluntarily decide to just not rate teases at all that are against their preferences. So again, it's important for all users here to take this live and let live attitude.

A technical fix might be to have automatic tag filtering for users who are logged in. Continuing my example, users who like cum-eating could put that in their user profile, and then they would only see teases that feature cum-eating, and none that don't. Then each user would have a virtual web site with the teases that they like (only), and wouldn't encounter teases that would make them want to rate them low just based on their preferences.
denton
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
I am a: Submissive

Post by denton »

Well, i for one only rate teases low that in my opinion are written badly or for some reason just don't work. If a tease includes something i don't like, then i'll just not do it/stop doing it. That's just common sense to me.

I think imdb has a pretty complex voting system that seems to work but maybe it could be a first step to ignore (or have them have lower influence) ratings from users who only give bad ratings or only give out 1s and 5s, as they are usually not 'objective' or actually rating the tease.
“Shame to say, though. Lack of pussy will change even a good man's demeanor.”
Bunk Moreland (The Wire)
lockgrid
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by lockgrid »

I guess its just that when people like teases they vote 5 and when they don't they vote 1. Granted some people use the whole scale of voting but some will just go "Eh I didn't like it, 1."
MissLusciousLisa
Explorer
Explorer

Post by MissLusciousLisa »

mmmm I don't think it's people vote 1 because they don't like it. My tease today started off at a 1.9 as did my previous tease so I kinda also think it is just people who vote 1 to try annoy authors.
denton
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by denton »

I wouldn't be surprised if people did that. I also think that authors shouldn't focus too much on the rating. A tease that is great but only appeals to few people might not get high ratings, whereas a tease that is of average quality might get better ratings because it appeals to a larger audience. I think the webtease-section of the forum is a better source for actual feedback :-)

And MissLusciousLisa, your tease is definitely not a 1.9 ;-)
“Shame to say, though. Lack of pussy will change even a good man's demeanor.”
Bunk Moreland (The Wire)
IndiNyle
Explorer
Explorer

Post by IndiNyle »

Denton wrote:And MissLusciousLisa, your tease is definitely not a 1.9 ;-)
+1 :)

Perhaps the Admins can work out if certain people go round voting negatively to all teases
Nezhul
Experimentor
Experimentor

Post by Nezhul »

Yes, off course, rating is not something really that important. It's just annoying to have a lower rating because some mindless lurkers... :closedeyes:
SexualChoc
Chat Moderator
I am a: Switch

Post by SexualChoc »

:offtopic:

But just in case...
You wanted to know the current winner of the Lowest star rating is......

http://www.milovana.com/webteases/showtease.php?id=8696

So sometimes One star is appropriate! :lol:
all2true
is my other profile. see my chastity belt link :
http://www.milovana.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16#p139016
dubble
Experimentor
Experimentor

Post by dubble »

I wonder if there's a different or better way to rate teases. I know we all don't like every tease. But as for me, for example, if there's a gay tease, I just stop viewing and do not rate it. I am not gay and I'm not into it, so I just stop. That's not to say it is or is not a good tease, it is just not 'up my alley' so to speak. We will never get everyone here to think that way, a fair way, because there are people who will continue to rate a tease as a '1' because it is not their thing. Right? People rate teases based on different things, too... spelling, vocabulary, models, length, flash vs. non-flash, author, etc., so the ratings are an overall feeling, not specific. That's how I see it anyway.

Maybe in the ratings, an option of a 'not my cup of tea' button could be a possibility that would not affect the overall rating of a tease. Possible? That could also help narrow down what the majority of people here like to see in a tease for those who want to hit the larger viewing audience... although I rather enjoy the diversity here. Just my thoughts on this late evening. :hmmm:
Current SitRep: Chilling. Life is good.

Varium et mutabile semper femina
Nezhul
Experimentor
Experimentor

Post by Nezhul »

Same here. I see a tease that's not for me - I don't rate it. I rate only those who are in my line (but I still may not like it due to this or that reasons. If I don't like CBT, how can I rate it? Maybe it's the best CBT tease on the site? I just can't find my ground there to make ANY descision.

And rating something that you totally don't like is just strange.

By the way, even teases that are really almost for EVERYONE (Something for everyone) get those 1-stars, tho you can't possibly imagine how it could be better.
Evals
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Evals »

:innocent:
Evals
dix
Experimentor
Experimentor
I am a: None of the above

Post by dix »

One of the reasons I no longer write teases. People just hitting low scores for the hell of it or because their particular fetish isn't catered for. Oh well.

dix.
Nezhul
Experimentor
Experimentor

Post by Nezhul »

really, such people are killing their own fun. The more teases - the more fun. The more inadequate votes - the less motivation to write (wich is not 5-minute task) - the less teases - the less fun. :-|
Oh2BTeased
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Oh2BTeased »

There's likely a certain percentage of 1 star votes that most teases receive. What might be considered "vote noise". So if the vast majority of teases get 3% to 5% (I'm not sure what the actual numbers might be) 1 star votes then that might be considered the "noise floor". Whatever this level of noise might be if a particular tease can't garner enough votes to significantly exceed this noise floor level then it's truly a bad tease or poorly received.

It would take a bit work to discover the true noise floor but once done it could be a reference for the administrators to use when deciding the TOTM nominees or site worthiness.

Just a thought.