Offline tease program

All about the past, current and future webteases and the art of webteasing in general.
---
Drum
Explorer
Explorer

Offline tease program

Post by Drum »

Hi all,

I've been working on a offline tease editor which is not nearly done yet. I kinda wanted to know if there is an interest before I sink time into something that nobody really wants.

Currently it works like this:
Pages can be made similar to the already excellent nyx editor. Sounds,images and buttons can be added. And there will also be a scripting language behind it (haven't decided which one yet).

The scripting language can be used for variables and such. But more importantly the scripting language can intervene or react to a page change allowing the script to change a page to something else. It can also ask for user input etc. Basically it allows for a lot more possibilities then is currently possible with the nyx editor.

The disadvantage is of course that its not as easily distributable as an online tease.

So my question is, is there an interest and if so what features would you like to see in such an application?
caphalor42
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Offline tease program

Post by caphalor42 »

Will it be easy to use your offline tease editor? (significantly easier than nyx? Selfexplaining at best) If this is the case and it additionally covers all the important nyx editor functionalities (i must admit i never used nyx and can't even find it at the moment. ), then you may want to think about a (maybe not always trivial) way of exporting from your offline editor to nyx. In this way you could circumvent the distributing disadvantage (at the cost of extra work and lost functionality in the nyx version). The advantage of this strategy would be - given the usability of your prog is good - that people will use it when they want to create some sophisticated online teases. And if your program does a great job at the online stuff it will be lot easier to draw peoples attention to your prog. Imho, usability is the most important point. If an author needs to have some hardcore knowledge about some complicated cryptic commands the project will probably fail, even when your ideas are good in principle...
Lucky
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Lucky »

Some months ago I made a beta version of an offline flash-tease viewer and published a download link here, but Milovana's community doesn't seem to be interested in it because of many spam links on the forum. Such attitude is not a stimulative one :-/ , that is why I didn't made and published any other versions and use it only personally.

So, when you'll be ready to publish result take you time to describe it and present as good as much possible. Otherwise you'll be ignored by many virus-spam-scared members. Furthermore, maybe it would be better to contact administrators. They sometimes write posts about the "need to decrease a server load", but in case with flash-tease viewer it doesn't seem effective for them I think :-/

Good luck :-)
diddums
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by diddums »

I really like the sound of it! Do please keep at it.
Triple Alfa
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Triple Alfa »

Any improvement on or addition to what already exists, whether online or offline, is very much appreciated. I've been focusing on PCM3 lately, but it's mostly for my own pleasure as the community for it seems to be dead. Any chance of getting an offline program with an active community is worth it.

The advantage of offline vs. online for me is mainly persistence of data. The current online offer doesn't include any form of persistent data. Thus creating anything that lasts longer then one session is impossible without (complex) user-intervention. There are of course many other advantages, such as being able to use local data, as well.

So as for feature requests:

1) Persistent data.
2) Extensive user input.(PCM3 lacks this)
3) Using user-indicated directories/files for pictures, sounds, videos, etc.
4) Debugger.
5) Good documentation on both features and the (custom) language(s) used.
6) WYSIWYG-style editor without all the advanced stuff. This usually helps a lot in getting a community going and makes sure people aren't overwhelmed.(Though this might be a lot of extra work depending on the amount of implemented features.)
7) A location for the community. Either a new forum or maybe here with the assistance of milovana.

I don't know if you've heard of PCM3 before, but if you haven't I'd check it out here to get some idea of what is already out there.

Again, it's great to see a development like this.
Holdingout1
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Holdingout1 »

I also would encourage you on your efforts

Personally, I still use and program in PCM2, since it is much quicker, offers more flexibility, then Nyx in my opinion. Like the poster above it seems that the community is dead or almost dead which is too bad. There were some folks with great talent and creativity out there creating scripts.

Anyways just a note to tell you to keep it up :smile:
solipsist
Explorer
Explorer
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual/Bi-Curious
I am a: Submissive
Dom/me(s): Ms160

Post by solipsist »

Speaking of pcm3, I had a burst of enthusiasm in the first half of last year and did a stack of work on it, getting nearly to the stage of a 0.6 release. Unfortunately my spare time disappeared and I never got as far as releasing it.

What I did have time to do was:

. 'imp' language implementation rewritten from scratch. Fixed some bugs
but probably introduced others.
- New implementation is >1000x faster than the old.
- Programmers should find the new implementation much easier to modify. I certainly
do :)
. Metronome rewritten to be much more reliable - it actually taps out a fairly
regular beat, rather than the irregular tappings of the old.
. Scripts can call functions in other scripts. This will let the pcm3 authors distribute
function libraries.
. Variables can now be declared 'constant', meaning that they can't be assigned to
after their initialization.
. There is a new mechanism for building scripts with user-configurable options. If you
declare a variable as "configuration", you can supply a default value that the user
can override in a personal properties file - this way you can keep your image
directories where you like, and not have to hack the scripts you run.
. The language now supports 'for' loops of two varieties:
for <interval> do <body> end;
which repeats a group of actions for a certain time, and
for <var> = <low> to <high> do <body> end;
which increments a counter from <low> to <high>, like the most common
uses of for loops in languages like perl, C etc.
. New objects can be constructed from old by replacing zero or more field
values.
y = x { f = exp }
creates an algebraic value y that is a copy of x, but with field f
value replaced with 'exp'. Expressions can use the values of other
fields in the object, eg
type T = C {int n, int s};
T b = a {n=n-1, s=s+n};
Note this *copies* the object, and doesn't change the original.

I've also started work on a method of bundling scripts, images, sounds etc into a single jar file, as well as improving the distribution of PCM itself (just a single pcm.jar).

More details soon.
Nezhul
Experimentor
Experimentor
Sexual Orientation: Straight

Post by Nezhul »

EOS is in the stage of Beta, it will be released pretty soon, I hope, and will contain the full functionality of java. I don't know if you need another editor or not.
Check out my new site, and read SexTV story there!
Also I have the DARK section that features feature Erotic Horror.
I also launched a SubscribeStar recently! Please come check it out!
Updated whenever I feel like it. :wave: :love:
painwhip
Curious Newbie
Curious Newbie

Post by painwhip »

Cybermistress shut down.

When if not now release it?
green
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Open to new ideas!
I am a: Switch

Post by green »

Nezhul wrote:EOS is in the stage of Beta, it will be released pretty soon, I hope, and will contain the full functionality of java. I don't know if you need another editor or not.
its javascript ;)

on Topic:
If you make an offline editor, do also create a feature to export teases, so that they can be uploaded and in some way be viewed with a webbrower (Java, flash, javascript or plain html).

And like others said, presentation and advertisement is very important, even for a free programme. Or people won't use it, cause too few people get in contact with your software.

~green~
You can own the earth and still - All you'll own is earth until
You can paint with all the colors of the wind