What firewall is better to install?

Post all technical issues and questions here. We'll gladly help you wherever we can.
willmiller
Curious Newbie
Curious Newbie

What firewall is better to install?

Post by willmiller »

What will be a better one firewall I can download and use for free that will come with my windows xp and won't slow it down?
justme82
Explorer
Explorer

Post by justme82 »

i'm using zone-alarm (http://www.zonelabs.com/) it's free for personal use
punkrngd
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by punkrngd »

i know you said you didnt want to spend money, but windows came out with a thing called "linveonecare" and it pretty much rocks. i bought it for about 50 bucks and circuit city came and set it all up, along with securing my wirelessnetwork (for free) its a really good deal and it doesnt take up a shitload of memory. ohh and its like 5 bucks a year to renew, hope thathelps
omssx
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by omssx »

I reccomend Avast anti-virus as it includes a network shield which is essentially a firewall as well as a very good anti virus and other tools like IM shields etc... its also totally free, just register for the key and its free to use for ever with free updates all the time so its always up to date.

Used it on a few machines now and not one problem.
dark
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by dark »

I heard the best is a hardware firewall. If you have a router it should be enough. Software Firewalls can make the system more weak. But there are different opinions about.
seraph0x
Administrator
Administrator

Post by seraph0x »

I'm using a router to block from any unwanted incoming connections and the Agnitum Outpost firewall to stop malicious software that already made it to my computer from dialing out.

Generally software firewalls aren't that bad, but they can take up quite a bit of performance and you have to decide whether that's worth it.