Affinity suggestions

Do you think Milovana.com is perfect in every way? Hopefully not, so what can we do to improve? Every idea, suggestion or criticism is highly appreciated.
camel
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Straight
I am a: Switch

Affinity suggestions

Post by camel »

I was replying to someone about web teases and started thinking about this...

You know what I think would be neat here? If there was a way to suggest teases based on correlating what you've rated to how others have rated them. Right now, when I'm helping to rate a tease, my vote gets lumped in with everyone else's, and we collectively define "mainstream" here. The teases tend close to the middle of the road because that gets the highest ratings... which is great for me because they generally appeal to me... but I could see how a custom suggestion functionality could really cause this thing to appeal to more people.

Netflix, Amazon, and Yahoo Music do a great job of that. Netflix does the best job because you can find out both the average and what it guesses your score would be.

A web tease featuring Goths, for example, might not be my thing, nor most people's thing, but there'd probably be a subculture for that here if the ratings system rewarded and encouraged subcultures.

It would reward users who rate teases more quickly and more personally, thus converting many public lurkers into creating an account.