Editor/proofreader access

Do you think Milovana.com is perfect in every way? Hopefully not, so what can we do to improve? Every idea, suggestion or criticism is highly appreciated.
ts
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Editor/proofreader access

Post by ts »

Just an idea...

A tease have one owner/author, who is the only one who can publish or delete the tease. (I.e the creator just as it is today)

A tease can have one (or maybe more, I am not sure what is best) editor - who can edit only the text.

To give the authors complete control, a copy-tease feature would be nice - They can make their tease, make a copy and assign it to an editor - Then review the changes, publish the edited tease as is, publish the original tease they wrote, or copy the changes they liked into the original and then publish it. (This is starting to sound a bit like a revision-control system, but that would be overkill for webteases - It still has to be easy to use - And I think the copy-system is simple enough for every one to understand)

My reasons to suggest this is:
1. Better teases (Some teases could use proofreading)
2. More teases (You have have a great idea, but spell poor - no problem)
3. Activate the non-creative (I want to contribute to the site, but my creative skills are poor - And I dont think I am alone...)

This is a "nice to have" feature - So I don't expect you to do anything about it before Nyx is complete, but if it is something you would consider, I will be happy to dicuss how it could be done...

--
ts
seraph0x
Administrator
Administrator

Post by seraph0x »

Sounds interesting in principle. :-) The question is, how many people would actually use it? :hmmm:
joeliwan
Explorer
Explorer

Post by joeliwan »

Personally, I think it's a great idea, and I'd be happy to proofread for those who would like a second set of eyes on their webteases before they go public. But more important would be finding out how many potential authors would go to the bother of asking for an editor and looking over the changes said editor made.
Iammax
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Iammax »

Agreed. I can't tell you how many times a tease has been ruined for my grammar-geek self due to typos and errors. I'd love to help out with proofreading.
bondageslave36
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by bondageslave36 »

I think that is a fantastic idea. Perhaps, when someone publishes a new tease, it will not instantly go live, but go into an area for editing. Any changes would need to be approved by the author of the tease. Once this is done, the tease goes live. If nobody looks at the tease for editing within 24 hours (or whatever seraph chooses), the tease goes live without editing, leaving the option open to "suggest an edit".
MartinC
Explorer
Explorer

Post by MartinC »

I would volunteer for some work as a grammar/spelling assistant too. I agree that sometimes a tease can be ruined by having to break concentration to try to figure out what the author actually intended to say. I think we should certainly encourage any and all tease authors; and remove any obstacles in the way of their writing.

I also think we should encourage anyone with the guts to admit that their spelling/grammar is not up to scratch. They may well have great teases that just need a little language assistance.

So if the technology allows it, perhaps the permissions system could be broadened to allow two types of editing: Author Editing, and Spellchecker Editing.

PS. You wouldn't believe how carefully I checked this post for typos. ;-)
seraph0x
Administrator
Administrator

Post by seraph0x »

Great, sounds like there is a bit of interest in this feature. Well, one thing that would be really quick to add is the ability for the author to add co-authors to his tease who can add the tease as well.

The whole revision control stuff - that the co-authors changes have to be approved first - is *really* complex, because it requires the whole editor to be changed and even the way the teases are saved in the database.

So my offer at this point is to add the co-author feature without any revision control. Would that be useful, what do you guys think?
camel
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Straight
I am a: Switch

My thought exactly!

Post by camel »

seraph0x, I agree. It would be good to be able to add co-authors, who are people who can make changes to the tease, but can't publish or change the list of co-authors.

You could also have a Readers list of people who can read the tease before it's published, but I myself would vote against it if given a voice on it. It would serve a purpose, it would be used, but it also would hurt the tone/community, IMHO.