The Handy - Mounting Suggestion

This is the place for all suggestions, releases and feedback regarding Milovana Hardware efforts.
Lucifie
Explorer
Explorer
Sexual Orientation: Straight

The Handy - Mounting Suggestion

Post by Lucifie »

Hi Milovanians,

I just got the Handy some days ago and thought it would be even better if you dont have to hold it the whole time. So I just took some spare parts I found and constructed a very compact mounting on which you can sit. It's just an idea and you can modify it as you need.

I had seen other approaches but those were blocking parts of the motion path so I clamped it not completely. Still it holds very firmly and avoides the shaking which you get while holding the Handy alone with your hands.

What you need I cannot give you weblinks as I had not to buy those parts
  • 2x pipe bracket for diameter = 69mm (DE: Schraubrohrschelle)
  • 2x screw that fits the pipe bracket to mount it to the plank
  • 2x metal bracket ~50mm with 10mm hole for the screw
  • 1x plank (example: 22 x 72 x 500mm)

Assembling
Line up one bracket at one end of the plank and mark your first hole. The distance to the second hole is 17,5cm (center to center). This ensures that you still can reach all buttons on the Handy and not block the motion path.
Drill your holes and mount the metal bracket and the lower pipe brackets.
Insert the Handy and push it against the bracket as seen in the picture. Attach the upper half of one of the pipe brackets and tighten it a bit. The Handy is now ready to be used.

How to use
Place a blanket (multiple layers) on a bench and place the mount on it. Place some more blankets and a pillow on the long end of the blank until it get's a comfortable heigh if you sit on it. You should not feel the blank during your session. I have used a pillow with small polystyrene balls inside that works quite well.

Possible Improvements Not tested yet
Sink the screws on the underside.
Change the plank size

If you try it, please give me some feedback and maybe some ideas how to improve it.

I am also currently working on a simple windows application that can control the Handy with an xbox controler so you dont have to press the buttons on the Handy if you are not using a script. Since you are now hands free this was something to play with.
If you want to help testing/improving this application just write me a PM and I will send you a beta version when I am back from vacation.
Attachments
Mounting Idea.jpg
Mounting Idea.jpg (414.92 KiB) Viewed 7529 times
mument
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
I am a: None of the above

Re: The Handy - Mounting Suggestion

Post by mument »

The Handy definitely needs some sort of mounting. I'm working on a desk mount at the moment and will let you know how it goes. I want to have a mount where the Handy can be removed without too much effort so I'll be working on a short plank (like yours) as the base with something at the top and bottom to stop movement up and down, and velcro straps to hold the Handy in the holder. The back of the plank will have a strip of wood or metal running centrally along the length which can be held in a vice which can clamp onto my desk and have adjustment for angle: https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Sta ... Hobby-Vice
The vice should come in the next day or two and hopefully the rest should be fairly easy to assemble.
Lucifie
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Lucifie »

Little update

I have mounted the board from my first post to a rack (11.1kg inc. Handy) which can now be placed under a table. After some first tests I had to thought about a solution to hold the second side as the weight was drawing Handy downwards and it slightly slipped out of its position after a while.

Solution: In the pictures you can see that one pipe bracket is cut in the middle to allow Handy to move the full range. I have splitted it and then removed about 5-6mm from each side and bent the brackat a little bit open. The gap looks bigger than a 10mm cut but that is still the same bracket.

This setup is now somewhat stable that it does not need a separate fixture. I never had to tighten the screws afterwards again.
Attachments
Setup.jpg
Setup.jpg (298.61 KiB) Viewed 4536 times
Afapp
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Afapp »

Hello. Is there any chance the Handy could be used as a inexpensive fucking machine? Could you kluge a vac-u-loc connection and an extension on the moving part and use a mount?
Lucifie
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Lucifie »

This was asked before and the devs told us that the motor is not strong enought for this kind of use.