1-star raters

Do you think Milovana.com is perfect in every way? Hopefully not, so what can we do to improve? Every idea, suggestion or criticism is highly appreciated.
Incubo
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Straight

Re: 1-star raters

Post by Incubo »

I don't know that there's ever really going to be a way to get around that.
I mean, what you're describing are just annoying users who want to be jerks. They aren't really breaking any rules or anything, so I'm not sure there's really much Seraph0x can fairly do about it.

I've seen it happen to a number of teases from a number of different authors. Within 15 mintues of posting, they've got anywhere from 3-5 1 stars, yet on some you know that readers couldn't have even gotten through it yet. I'd suppose they just hate that particular author, but it seems to happen to everyone more or less.

On the "not my cup of tea" subject, I know what you're saying and I guess I agree to some point, but I still rate them. Well, some of them anyway. I'm sure anyone who's read mine can tell that I'm a "story" kind of guy. Tickle my mind with a well written story and it won't matter much what the specific tasks or kinks were. For example: I liked Citizen's MAFAT series even though I'm not into the whole feminization thing. It was still a well written interesting story, so I gave it high marks. Was it the best feminization series ever? Hell, I don't know. Not my cup of tea, but still...I can appreciate it for what it is. On the other side: I don't much care for the stroke x times....pinch this...smack that sort of teases that have no story behind them. So I don't rate them unless they're just horribly written. I figure, in a tease like that, if you can't even make the effort to spell "stroke" correctly, then you didn't really put much effort into your tease at all and probably deserve a low score.

Sorry, back to the topic.... :lol:

As an author, the only part about these low ratings that irks me a little is no feedback. I write for me really. I do it because I like writing. I don't particularly care what the ratings are on my teases, but when they start getting these low marks, I do start to wonder why. If you hate it enough to give it a one, it'd be nice if you were respectful enough to the authors to at least tell them why you hated it so much. I'm not saying I'm necessarily going to change just to suit you, but it'd be nice to know that you bombed my writing because you just don't like stories, or your particular fetish wasn't included, you found a typo and it completely killed your "mood", or what ever it is that ticked you off about it. Maybe I'll change for the next one, maybe I won't, but I certainly can't if you don't say anything.

I agree about the discouraging authors part too. No one likes to have their hard work crapped on for no reason. If they're just going to get bombed by silent trolls, then I'm sure many authors will indeed just quit writing. Personally, I'll write anyway, but I admit a swarm of silent ones does tempt me to just quit sharing.
dtspam
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Straight
I am a: Switch

Post by dtspam »

Could it be, that (some) of those ratings aren't from people at all?
There is never a tease consequently rated 1 either, not even the spam stuff.
Maybe there are some bots (search engines, spam bots, whatever), "voting" at random and thus all ratings have some tendency towards the 3.
I don't think it matters, though.
Everything above 4 is usually worth checking out, everything below 2 usually isn't.
huang
Explorer
Explorer

Post by huang »

Maybe we allow voting only after the tease? That would be fair.

But well, every tease gets some 1 star votes, it somewhat balances out I guess.

Or we can implement a compulsory reason writing regarding the review you give..