Availability of Rating distributions...

Do you think Milovana.com is perfect in every way? Hopefully not, so what can we do to improve? Every idea, suggestion or criticism is highly appreciated.
Human
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Availability of Rating distributions...

Post by Human »

Can the distribution of ratiings be made available? Ie, x people voted 5, y people voted 4 etc?
Something like amazon.

Why this?

Because sometimes a tease may cater to a minority audience, be rated highly by the minority, but get low ratings due to the majority of people. The tease author may then feel that the tease is no good, when this is not the case, as he/she thinks nobody liked the tease in the absence of rating distributions.
Last edited by Human on Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:love: :love: :love: Stoya :love: :love: :love:                 :love: :love: :love: Denisa Heaven :love: :love: :love:
:love: :love: :love: Blue Angel :love: :love: :love:                 :love: :love: :love: Caprice :love: :love: :love:
masterstroke
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Re: Availability of Rating distributions...

Post by masterstroke »

Human: Welcome to the world of statistics. As Mark Twain once said, "There are three types of lies: Lies, damned lies and statistics."

Aviddrummer: If you slide your pointer over the stars on your tease, it will tell you how many people have voted on your tease.

8-)
les
Experimentor
Experimentor
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual/Bi-Curious
I am a: Dom (Male)
Sub/Slave(s): My serfs
All 2 True is head Serf

Post by les »

Could we know how many completed the tease?

A quote about statistics

Thomas Keyes is the personification of one who,
As Mark Twain asserted,
Uses statistics
“Like a drunk uses a lamppost:
For support rather than illumination.”

Les
                                          Lord Les
                                 Be careful what you wish for!

Growing OLD Is Inevitable,
          But Growing UP... Is Optional
                    OR
                              Why do I have to stop being a KID now I can afford it.

                                
                                                                                                                                                   
camel
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Straight
I am a: Switch

Post by camel »

I love this idea. I would love to see the subtotals of how many people gave my teases a 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5.

It would also help tease authors who didn't get highly rated. For example, a tease based on a particularly rare fetish might get twenty 5s and 100 2s, which is a great sign that most people simply aren't into it but the there was also a heavy following!

I also like it because individual votes say more this way, which is a good thing.
cactusman
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by cactusman »

Seraph0x put in a feature to let you know how many votes go into the rating some time ago.
To see the number of votes, place your mouse cursor above the stars in the summary of your tease, and you'll see a little tool tip show up that says something like "Based on 200 votes". For example, right now my tease "Your Investigation Concludes" has had 144 votes. (Note: this won't work on a touch screen interface, you have to have a mouse to "hover" over the stars.)

I often find the ratings swing up and down a fair bit especially when a tease is new, simply because so few have voted on it.
Salerio
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Salerio »

I feel compelled to point out that what we have now is a statistic, the average, i.e. a function of the sample. However, showing the full distribution - x at 5 stars, y at 4 stars, etc - would not show a single statistic. Those who seem to have skepticism of statistics should hence be in support!
cactusman
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by cactusman »

Salerio wrote:I feel compelled to point out that what we have now is a statistic, the average, i.e. a function of the sample. However, showing the full distribution - x at 5 stars, y at 4 stars, etc - would not show a single statistic. Those who seem to have skepticism of statistics should hence be in support!
Right, it would show 5 statistics :-D

To be serious, I also would support some way to know this kind of information.
camel
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by camel »

cactusman wrote:Right, it would show 5 statistics :-D
Actually, 7. :tease: (assuming that we keep the overall average and the total number of ratings)
Vinny Vodka
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Vinny Vodka »

The more information authors can get about how their works are received, the better I would think. To that end I'd also advocate adding a little comment box to each tease for readers to leave, (if desired), private messages to the author.
Human
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Human »

Vinny Vodka wrote:The more information authors can get about how their works are received, the better I would think. To that end I'd also advocate adding a little comment box to each tease for readers to leave, (if desired), private messages to the author.
That is also a good idea; even if its onliy used to say thanks to the author.
:love: :love: :love: Stoya :love: :love: :love:                 :love: :love: :love: Denisa Heaven :love: :love: :love:
:love: :love: :love: Blue Angel :love: :love: :love:                 :love: :love: :love: Caprice :love: :love: :love:
cactusman
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by cactusman »

Vinny Vodka wrote:The more information authors can get about how their works are received, the better I would think. To that end I'd also advocate adding a little comment box to each tease for readers to leave, (if desired), private messages to the author.
People can already write private messages to the author, so there's little point in implementing a new capability for this unless you want other readers to be able to see the comments also. But even that is already possible by leaving feedback in the forum, so again I think nothing new is really needed here, except willingness of the readers to actually give comments.

As a writer of webteases I really appreciate the comments I receive, and thus I would suggest that you all write comments to the authors of the teases you like, even if the teases are pretty old.
Human
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Human »

cactusman wrote:
People can already write private messages to the author, so there's little point in implementing a new capability for this unless you want other readers to be able to see the comments also. But even that is already possible by leaving feedback in the forum, so again I think nothing new is really needed here, except willingness of the readers to actually give comments.

As a writer of webteases I really appreciate the comments I receive, and thus I would suggest that you all write comments to the authors of the teases you like, even if the teases are pretty old.
While technically, there isnt anything added by Vinny's suggestion, practically it makes a difference if I can just click a feedack button instead of PM'ing, creating a thread, writing a thread title etc.
Vinny Vodka
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Vinny Vodka »

Human wrote:While technically, there isnt anything added by Vinny's suggestion, practically it makes a difference if I can just click a feedack button instead of PM'ing, creating a thread, writing a thread title etc.
In addition to that I was thinking it would allow lurkers to give their two cents without having to create an account first. I probably shouldn't have brought it up in this thread though as it's a pretty different thing from the availability of ratings distributions idea and I don't want to distract away from that one.
camel
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by camel »

Agreed. Affordance is important.

It would be great to have a feedback link that searches for a topic of "Tease Name (#Number)" and if it can't find one, starts one.