Overhaul of Voting.

Do you think Milovana.com is perfect in every way? Hopefully not, so what can we do to improve? Every idea, suggestion or criticism is highly appreciated.
les
Experimentor
Experimentor
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual/Bi-Curious
I am a: Dom (Male)
Sub/Slave(s): My serfs
All 2 True is head Serf

Overhaul of Voting.

Post by les »

I have been following Indy's recent torment,with wonder as to why he is torturing himself so.

I do not think this site seems pretty focused on ratings, and votes, and TOTM.

I believe this because so few votes are actually cast.

The most viewed tease

Femdom Tease & Denial #1
http://www.milovana.com/webteases/showtease.php?id=479
was Viewed 60159 times
Rated 3.9
Based on 1850 votes
and not a TOTM nominee

this is only 3%
on looking it seems that a vote rate of three percent is fairly typical.

Going back over the last year
the most votes in a TOTM was a total of 98
Yes NINETY EIGHT.
With the winner getting 38
last May

Perhaps the voting sytem(s) should be reviewed.

So as Indy is such a valued mediator
perhaps a change will help him to bounce :bounce: back to his old self :indian: .

there thats opened the can
let us see if we can get rid of the worms,
before more damage is done.

I do feel most negative comments come from jealousy
Not constructive criticism.

Les
                                          Lord Les
                                 Be careful what you wish for!

Growing OLD Is Inevitable,
          But Growing UP... Is Optional
                    OR
                              Why do I have to stop being a KID now I can afford it.

                                
                                                                                                                                                   
whacker44
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Re: Overhaul of Voting.

Post by whacker44 »

so do you just need an orgasm :love:
AngelAnna837
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by AngelAnna837 »

lesub wrote:
So as Indy is such a valued mediator
perhaps a change will help him to bounce :bounce: back to his old self :indian: .

Les[/size][/b]
His old self is an indian? he never told me that :P
les
Experimentor
Experimentor
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual/Bi-Curious
I am a: Dom (Male)
Sub/Slave(s): My serfs
All 2 True is head Serf

Post by les »

I meant the smiley to show Indy as the chief,
and in charge of himself.
sorry if I was misunderstood.
                                          Lord Les
                                 Be careful what you wish for!

Growing OLD Is Inevitable,
          But Growing UP... Is Optional
                    OR
                              Why do I have to stop being a KID now I can afford it.

                                
                                                                                                                                                   
Triple Alfa
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Triple Alfa »

When it comes to the voting system there are a few points that could use rethinking. For normal teases the ability to vote on any page(like in flash teases) would make negative votes more common. This because most people that dislike a tease before the end won't make the effort of manually skipping to the end and voting.

Also I'd like to see a comments page for every tease.(Accessible from the webtease search page and within the tease itself.) This instead of people making "FB: xxxxx" posts in the forum. It will make it much easier to leave a comment then is currently the case.

Lastly I'd like to note my issues with the current TOTM voting system. First of all it is based in the forum and not as a poll on the front page. Because of this the attention it gets is significantly reduced. Secondly the voting itself is pretty meaningless. Most people will not have experience with more then one tease, sometimes none at all. This is because you're comparing teases from all genres. What you end up with is most votes being based on lack of experience rather then opinion. After all, how can you vote for something you don't know nor want to know.

In the end I think the TOTM system doesn't really work, but the voting system does pretty well. The above could just help get more people to participate.
cumhardy
Experimentor
Experimentor
I am a: None of the above

Post by cumhardy »

Triple Alfa wrote:When it comes to the voting system there are a few points that could use rethinking. For normal teases the ability to vote on any page(like in flash teases) would make negative votes more common. This because most people that dislike a tease before the end won't make the effort of manually skipping to the end and voting.

Also I'd like to see a comments page for every tease.(Accessible from the webtease search page and within the tease itself.) This instead of people making "FB: xxxxx" posts in the forum. It will make it much easier to leave a comment then is currently the case.

Lastly I'd like to note my issues with the current TOTM voting system. First of all it is based in the forum and not as a poll on the front page. Because of this the attention it gets is significantly reduced. Secondly the voting itself is pretty meaningless. Most people will not have experience with more then one tease, sometimes none at all. This is because you're comparing teases from all genres. What you end up with is most votes being based on lack of experience rather then opinion. After all, how can you vote for something you don't know nor want to know.

In the end I think the TOTM system doesn't really work, but the voting system does pretty well. The above could just help get more people to participate.

I gotta agree with pretty much everything you said here. Especially having voting on each page, and the TOTM voting as a poll on the front page.

Looking at last months totm, 49 people voted in total. Considering highly rated teases can get 10,000+ views, I can see a big problem with it being on the forum. The totm votes cant really reflect the views of everyone doing the teases. Put a poll on the front page like you say, then everyone can vote.
cumhardy
Experimentor
Experimentor

Post by cumhardy »

Indigo wrote:You're forgetting one critical aspect, you don't need to be a registered member to view a tease, and most folks don't view a tease only once. The number of views aren't a true representation of how many people see a tease, just how many times (x) amount of viewers actually looked at it.
Even if you took all the views of each nominated tease (lets underestimate it and say 5000 views per tease, so thats 25,000 views total)... say each person viewed the tease 3 times, thats still 8000+ individuals (sorry for the hackneyed maths, just trying to get a rough figure, its probably wrong though) but whatever the figure, its still a big difference to the <50 people voting on totm

Indigo wrote: The second is, a member may only vote on a tease once, whereas if it were open-ended on the frontpage, a guest might vote on a tease multiple times, throwing the voting system into chaos, and make it virtually impossible to ensure a fair vote.
But guests can rate teases, and those ratings are what the TOTM nominations are based on.
If guests can directly influence the TOTM by rating teases, they should also be able to vote without going to the forum.
Plus with the rating system, I think theres something that stops same IP adresses rating the same tease twice. Couldnt this be used for a front-page TOTM vote?
Evals
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Straight
I am a: Submissive

Post by Evals »

I've already mentioned already I am in favor of voting anywhere in a tease. And I agree with triple alfa that dedicated feedback pages are a great idea. What I'd like to ask though is what's so bad about making it so you have to be a member to rate teases, period? Sure, you'd have a fewer number of votes, but you'd also:

- Increase number of user registrations
- Direct feedback/comment pages help motivate authors, even simple "thanks!" count
- In turn gives authors more positive response to write more teases
- Makes problem of manipulated ratings much more manageable

As far as the TOTM voting, I think it should definitely be moved to the front page. And it would be also be nice to have it based on an automated system that doesn't rely on people to post.

Maybe we could also change the type of rating. Right now it's a very basic, pick your favorite type of vote. It'd be nice to see it turn into a preferential type of vote. IE to make it simpler on the user, list the five top rated teases and put them in a list to allow members to vote. You can arrange the teases in that list in different orders, changing which "slots" they're in. The tease on top gets your first vote, the one after gets your second vote, etc. It's simple when implemented, just rank what you want to win in order or preference, More info here.
Evals
cumhardy
Experimentor
Experimentor

Post by cumhardy »

Evals wrote: Maybe we could also change the type of rating. Right now it's a very basic, pick your favorite type of vote. It'd be nice to see it turn into a preferential type of vote. IE to make it simpler on the user, list the five top rated teases and put them in a list to allow members to vote. You can arrange the teases in that list in different orders, changing which "slots" they're in. The tease on top gets your first vote, the one after gets your second vote, etc. It's simple when implemented, just rank what you want to win in order or preference, More info here.
I think that has been discussed before. From what I remember a few people thought it was a good idea but it got dismissed by the mods because 'a lot of people take totm seriously' whatever that means....
Evals
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Evals »

cumhardy wrote:
Evals wrote: Maybe we could also change the type of rating. Right now it's a very basic, pick your favorite type of vote. It'd be nice to see it turn into a preferential type of vote. IE to make it simpler on the user, list the five top rated teases and put them in a list to allow members to vote. You can arrange the teases in that list in different orders, changing which "slots" they're in. The tease on top gets your first vote, the one after gets your second vote, etc. It's simple when implemented, just rank what you want to win in order or preference, More info here.
I think that has been discussed before. From what I remember a few people thought it was a good idea but it got dismissed by the mods because 'a lot of people take totm seriously' whatever that means....
It probably was me that brought that up, heh. "A lot of people take it seriously?" Uhm, in response to whoever has said that - the method I described is FAR better than the current way of voting. If one would want to use that argument, they would use preferential voting.
Evals
cumhardy
Experimentor
Experimentor

Post by cumhardy »

Evals wrote:
cumhardy wrote:
It probably was me that brought that up, heh. "A lot of people take it seriously?" Uhm, in response to whoever has said that - the method I described is FAR better than the current way of voting. If one would want to use that argument, they would use preferential voting.

I agree (and if it was you that posted it back then, I agreed with you then too). From what I remember it was Dark that refused it, now we have Indy doing totm maybe he will me more open to change ;-)
From what else I remember from the old thread, someone said it was very easy to implement because the system was in place in the forum already, and it was suggested we try it out just for 1 month to see how it went. i dont see why it never happened...
Evals
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Evals »

cumhardy wrote:I agree (and if it was you that posted it back then, I agreed with you then too). From what I remember it was Dark that refused it, now we have Indy doing totm maybe he will me more open to change ;-)
From what else I remember from the old thread, someone said it was very easy to implement because the system was in place in the forum already, and it was suggested we try it out just for 1 month to see how it went. i dont see why it never happened...
http://www.milovana.com/forum/viewtopic ... 04&p=24238 Took a bit of digging, but found it, haha. It was campico that suggested approval voting where you vote for multiple teases at once. However, I'm still would rather have the preferential voting instead. Drag and drop in order of preference is more fun! But all this takes work...
Evals
cumhardy
Experimentor
Experimentor

Post by cumhardy »

Evals wrote:It was campico that suggested approval voting where you vote for multiple teases at once. However, I'm still would rather have the preferential voting instead. Drag and drop in order of preference is more fun! But all this takes work...
Ah, I get you now, I was missing the point and thought the two voting systems were the same...
Well the approval voting would be easier to implement I think. With preferential voting, the idea of dragging each option into decending order might be harder to do, and slightly perhaps off-putting for people who vote (rather than ticking a box, you now have to rearrange a list... it seems a bit of a long winded solution perhaps)
Another disadvantage of preferential voting is it depends on the voter having done every tease on the list. So it might decrease the amount of voters taking part.

Anyway, its not like TOTM is gonna get suddenly changed just because of a dodgy month... Still, it would be interesting to see it change just to shake things up a bit
Evals
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Evals »

There's pros and cons to everything, but in my opinion there's not much point in making an effort of discussing it as I don't have much faith it'll be changed any time soon... You can always hope, though!
Evals
Triple Alfa
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Triple Alfa »

I just remembered something important I forgot to post among my last set of suggestions:

Half-star rating system! I constantly have the problem of having to choose between 3 and 4 stars and sometimes 4 and 5. Often giving a good tease with a few flaws a 4 is just too much, but a 3 doesn't honor it enough. We really need a half-star rating system so 3,5 star and 4,5 star ratings are possible.

Optionally a totally new system could be made with even more freedom(1-100), but that would take a lot more effort.