Ability to rate regular webteases at any point

Do you think Milovana.com is perfect in every way? Hopefully not, so what can we do to improve? Every idea, suggestion or criticism is highly appreciated.

When should the rating for regular webteases take place?

At the end
43%
At any point
54%
Don't care
3%

Total votes: 35

Evals
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Straight
I am a: Submissive

Ability to rate regular webteases at any point

Post by Evals »

What I would like would be able to rate a tease before it's over. Sure, the argument is "well how can you rate a tease when you haven't even read the whole thing?" Well, there are some teases that are either so long, poorly written, uninteresting, etc. that you really don't want to read the whole thing or bother going to the end. Thus the people that do make it to the end (this is especially true of those very long teases I'd say) are the ones that obviously liked the tease a lot. And thus the rating gets skewed higher, as those that would've voted lower have already moved on and not bothered to go through 100+ pages.

That, and since you can rate a flash tease without reaching the end, for consistency's sake it wouldn't be that bad for it to be the same in old school teases either.
Evals
seraph0x
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Ability to rate regular webteases at any point

Post by seraph0x »

I see your point regarding the introduction of the FlashTease ratings and the issue of having the two types be comparable in terms of ratings. So I've added a vote and let's see if we can get some opinions here.
Incubo
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Incubo »

Ah....hadn't thought of it before, but after you said it....makes a whole lot of sense to me.
Good point and I'm all in favor of it.
No need to make someone suffer through a tease they hate, just so they can't tell you they hated it.

Of course, on the other side of it....I've found some rather interesting suprises by reading through to the end of teases that I didn't initially like. So could go either way I guess.
green
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Open to new ideas!
I am a: Switch

Post by green »

well, you could manually jump to the end... also this kind of voting triggers "bad" votes, created by subjective opinions, or non available toys or whatsoever ;O.. Voting at the end is always best.

~green~
You can own the earth and still - All you'll own is earth until
You can paint with all the colors of the wind
cactusman
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by cactusman »

Evals wrote:What I would like would be able to rate a tease before it's over. Sure, the argument is "well how can you rate a tease when you haven't even read the whole thing?" Well, there are some teases that are either so long, poorly written, uninteresting, etc. that you really don't want to read the whole thing or bother going to the end. Thus the people that do make it to the end (this is especially true of those very long teases I'd say) are the ones that obviously liked the tease a lot. And thus the rating gets skewed higher, as those that would've voted lower have already moved on and not bothered to go through 100+ pages.

That, and since you can rate a flash tease without reaching the end, for consistency's sake it wouldn't be that bad for it to be the same in old school teases either.
This is certainly a valid point. The ratings of some of my teases are certainly skewed by them being so long, some over 400 pages. I thus certainly support having the ability to rate a regular webtease earlier than the end.
green
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Open to new ideas!

Post by green »

Maybe setting a cookie when the tease starts, make it expire after 5 Minutes and voting appear than.

Other than that I'm finding the system where you vote at the end of a tease great.

~green~
You can own the earth and still - All you'll own is earth until
You can paint with all the colors of the wind
storydejour
Explorer
Explorer

Post by storydejour »

I'm not claiming to be the best there is, but frankly, there are some teases out there they simply suck.

the ones where the author doesn't bother with punctuation who tells you to put on your chastity belt then give yourself 100 strokes hey are you listening to me maggot where the woman throughout the tease is supposed to be the same person but you get three cartoons and twelve different models and its one big run on sentance that detracts from the tease and none of the women have anything in common except they allowed themselves to be photographed and I seriously considered trying to misspell half the words but was giving myself a headache just trying know what i mean now go kick yourself in the balls haha you losers

Maybe that's a turn on for some, but for me, it's a "1" and I'd like to say so without wasting any more of my time just to get to the end of a tease when I have no idea how long it will take.
E.Vain
Explorer
Explorer

Post by E.Vain »

Indigo wrote:I think rating the tease at the end is probably the best idea. It prevents users from voting based on incomplete information. Judging a book by its cover, so to speak.
Well I´m getting more and more into this whole webtease thing and what irked me from the beginning was not being able to vote a tease before I finished it, especially when the tease was really really bad.
If I read a book and after 50 pages or even 3 pages it doesn´t interest me anymore I stop reading it and being asked about my opinion (in this case the vote) I´d clearly say "I personally didn´t even bother finishing it, that´s how bad it was".
I´d very much like to have the same choice here on milovana :)
Triple Alfa
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Triple Alfa »

Well since I now notice myself rate flash-teases that I quit before finishing, this does have some merit to it. Sure you might be able to skip to the end manually, but are you really going to do that for a tease you don't like? Maybe if you truly hated it. Otherwise, I don't think so. This might balance things out at least a bit.
Flogger
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Flogger »

Why not just add a "I quit" button so people can see the proportion of one to the other?

After all, that's a vote in itself, isn't it?

And the real vote not something along the lines of "Well, I'm p$$d with this so now I'm gonna give it a 1", which quite a lot deserve.

Or, if you want to get to the end, type in a number for a page and see if it works, if not, work backwards. Often that's more fun than reading a set of instructions like a manual.

8-)
Nwah
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual/Bi-Curious

Post by Nwah »

storydejour wrote:I'm not claiming to be the best there is, but frankly, there are some teases out there they simply suck.

the ones where the author doesn't bother with punctuation who tells you to put on your chastity belt then give yourself 100 strokes hey are you listening to me maggot where the woman throughout the tease is supposed to be the same person but you get three cartoons and twelve different models and its one big run on sentance that detracts from the tease and none of the women have anything in common except they allowed themselves to be photographed and I seriously considered trying to misspell half the words but was giving myself a headache just trying know what i mean now go kick yourself in the balls haha you losers

Maybe that's a turn on for some, but for me, it's a "1" and I'd like to say so without wasting any more of my time just to get to the end of a tease when I have no idea how long it will take.
:lol:
Evals
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
I am a: Submissive

Post by Evals »

Indigo wrote:
E.Vain wrote:
Indigo wrote:I think rating the tease at the end is probably the best idea. It prevents users from voting based on incomplete information. Judging a book by its cover, so to speak.
Well I´m getting more and more into this whole webtease thing and what irked me from the beginning was not being able to vote a tease before I finished it, especially when the tease was really really bad.
If I read a book and after 50 pages or even 3 pages it doesn´t interest me anymore I stop reading it and being asked about my opinion (in this case the vote) I´d clearly say "I personally didn´t even bother finishing it, that´s how bad it was".
I´d very much like to have the same choice here on milovana :)
Good point. But if the questionaire is at the back of the book, don't you flip to the last page to fill it out? You don't ask "Hey, what did you think of my book "so far ... "? You ask "What did you think of my book?" Same principal, in my eyes.
Not the best logic... For a user to go to the last page to put a vote on a webtease, they need to know the mechanics of editing the URL, guessing the right page number which involves process of elimination, knowing the fact that the where you're able to rate it is indeed at the end, and so on. It's not as easy for a webtease as it is with a book, like you try to compare it to. If you want to follow those mechanics and make it comparable to what you described, then you should have a "skip to the questionnaire [rating] at the back of the book [webtease]" button.

I could say the majority of teases, I rate on quality of writing, creativity, consistency, and so on. Generally just halfway through a tease, I already have a clear idea of the how much I like, or dislike the tease.
Evals
storydejour
Explorer
Explorer

Post by storydejour »

Flogger wrote:Why not just add a "I quit" button so people can see the proportion of one to the other?

8-)
That's the other thing I wanted to suggest, I'm just too stupid when it comes to technology to know if it can be done.
cactusman
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by cactusman »

I note that Pandora radio let's you give a thumbs up or down at any point.

I have posted a link to the last page in The first page of each of my really long webteases, with a note encouraging readers to use that to give a rating if they stop early. So now readers can rate them early with a few clicks. These very long teases of mine really do have a small numer of ratings, in the hundreds, compared to other often viewed (regular) webteases...
cactusman
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by cactusman »

I added a few more of these links to the rating page as notes on the first page, now a feature on all of my teases that are longer than 50 pages.

It seems that this has had quite an effect on my tease "Erica: Teasing Ex-Fiancee and Housemate", which is the very longest (483 pages). That tease has dipped quite a bit in its relative rank (from second -- where it was due to my manipulations -- to where it is now, which is 11th), and has accumulated a lot more ratings along the way.

(Pardon me for being a bit vague, I'm trying not to pay too much attention to the rating details any more.)

Anyway, I think this experiment validates to some extent the utility of allowing readers to bail out at any point in a regular webtease and rate it.