[Feedback] [RELEASE] Battleship!

All about the past, current and future webteases and the art of webteasing in general.
---
bbb11__
Explorer
Explorer

[Feedback] [RELEASE] Battleship!

Post by bbb11__ »

I'm back with another spin on a classic board game! https://milovana.com/webteases/showteas ... 2452b93251

RELEASED!
I’ve published this tease, hoping everyone enjoyed it!
Additional feedback always appreciated

https://milovana.com/webteases/showtease.php?id=66637

UPDATE 2!:
- NOW COMPLETE!
- - Pages for winning or losing are now on, so you can cum (or be denied)
- added 25% chance of getting an extra tease/hint after a miss
- more pics

UPDATE:
- Added hints on every 5th miss
- - along with extra tease instructions
- only pics of selected opponent now used
- all ships auto-place, no picking your own

Try to sink your opponents boats before they sink yours if you want to cum!

I have NOT FINISHED this tease. I'm looking for feedback before I finalize everything. So if you play through and win, the tease will stop playing... no cum instructions...

I'm worried it's too slow paced and repetitive to be fun. The beat does get faster after 13 misses, and again later on.
Last edited by bbb11__ on Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:40 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Carnal1
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Open to new ideas!

Re: [Feedback] [Unpublished] [Incomplete] Battleship!

Post by Carnal1 »

I just gave this a couple tries. I've really been wanting more teases with game mechanics, the concept seems great but obviously makes for some challenging programming to do well. Thanks for giving this a go and I hope you'll be able to turn it into a great tease.

Here's my 2cents, realizing what's up is a work in progress test:
It is too slow and repetitive. Too slow and tedious placing 10 ships and again tedious and slow making the shots. It took something like 80 shots to finally win by pure chance as there's no skill without any feedback or hints. Misses should give some hint - maybe if a shot is close it could say so? As real Battleship has bigger ships and getting a hit lets you know there's more of the ship nearby it gives some edge to having a strategy. Really would be better if like original and had bigger ships which would both allow for strategy/feedback with hits and placement.
Would be nice to see updated board showing hits & misses and number of ships hit/left for each player.
Is there a difference in play for each girl? Didn't seem so, but that would be nice too - as it is it's all pretty much random luck but if the above ideas were incorporated perhaps girls could use different strategies.

Some other ideas that maybe would add to gameplay: Have a penalty for early edge or cum. As is, I think stroking goes faster and maybe longer as game progresses? Is that connected with loss of your or opponent's ships or just time in game? Seems this could be more challenging and associated with the player's performance. Perhaps require stroking or edge holding during shot selection. Maybe have some penalty after getting one of your ships sunk - harder stroking or edging perhaps, increasing/decreasing nearer or farther from winning/losing. If you instituted different sized ships you could even tie penalties and/or rewards for sinking them to their relative sizes/difficulties in sinking.
As it is now it seems quite a bit more time is devoted to the player doing game mechanics than teasing/stroking/edging and seems this should be the other way around.

One minor error I saw is on the opponent selection page photo labels the 4th girl as Bailey but button says Holly (sorry, I don't know models very well to say which is correct)

Anyway, I hope this helps a bit. Whatever way you go to finish this, I'm looking forward to playing. Thanks for writing teases!
bbb11__
Explorer
Explorer

Post by bbb11__ »

I appreciate this so much! It validates all of my fears about this tease.

I tried and tried and tried to get the bigger ships, but I am a very novice programmer and could not get it. Same with the updated graphics. The way EOS handles images, there are way too many variables to make the updated graphic work. I'd have to make something like a billion images to make all the possible combinations. :-O

I agree there needs to be some kind of hint system. And more stroking, less clicking. I might shrink it down to 5x5 instead of 10x10, with only 5 ships and add more stroking mechanics.

I appreciate you playing through it so much, and all the kind words!! Gives me a lot to think on and work through!
Carnal1
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Open to new ideas!

Post by Carnal1 »

Don't give up! I'm quite the amateur hack as far as programming so really can't offer help there unfortunately. Have you looked online for simple Battleship game programs? Just a quick google found this https://codehs.com/curriculum/projects/proj-battleship I only gave a very cursory look but perhaps you could use it for some hints and adapt?

OOps - I didn't realize that that link's lessons weren't openly available. Sorry. Still maybe some useful there just seeing how their output works. Surely there's Battleship program demos available elsewhere.
Ghingis
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Ghingis »

The base igea is great!
I do not think, that the lack of ship size or the lack of board is a great issue.

The lack of board can be an intentional difficult increase, if the opponent (or both player) follows the best practice to place ship's that are not touching giving you an edge to eliminate sorrounding fields (from your guess list), essentially increaseing the gamespeed and minimizing repetitiveness, but making it hard to remember fields if while you stroke/edge.
(Maybe an easy mode where the game removes thoes field from the options.)
If your placement follows this rule too, she could play perfectly or hitting the surrounding fields by "mistake". Giving you a chance to win.
Like random is bigger than 0.8 she randomizes from all the available fields if lower than only from the places that can have ships given the current hits.

Also originally the player who hits a ship should get an other round.

If i select a girl I would like to see images of her during the hit segment.

Currently there is an issue, if a col has no more available rows, it still shows up and if you select it, it forces the game to a deadend. Maybe a back button would help. Sometimes people can missclick anyways.

Keep it up, this could be interesting and fun.
bbb11__
Explorer
Explorer

Post by bbb11__ »

Thanks for the feedback.

Sadly my limited programming skills means the computer just aims randomly and I have no idea how to modify that. I’ll look into it though. Because she’s random, I’m removing the ship placement mechanic and having them auto-placed randomly. I figure this is still fair with the ships being 1 square each instead of multiple like the real game. If I can get the ship size fixed I’d put placement back in.

I’m working to make the opponent pictures pop up. I added specific opponents later on, so the random girls on a miss is going away!!

Thanks for the bug on empty columns!! I had no idea on that, I’ll get that fixed somehow
Thamrill
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Straight
I am a: Submissive

Post by Thamrill »

bbb11__ wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:12 am Thanks for the feedback.

Sadly my limited programming skills means the computer just aims randomly and I have no idea how to modify that. I’ll look into it though. Because she’s random, I’m removing the ship placement mechanic and having them auto-placed randomly. I figure this is still fair with the ships being 1 square each instead of multiple like the real game. If I can get the ship size fixed I’d put placement back in.

I’m working to make the opponent pictures pop up. I added specific opponents later on, so the random girls on a miss is going away!!

Thanks for the bug on empty columns!! I had no idea on that, I’ll get that fixed somehow
Hi, there's an option to draw the grid directly in the say field; some times ago I tried making some proof of concepts that may be of interest for you: https://milovana.com/webteases/showteas ... 88990b5703

bbb11__
Explorer
Explorer

Post by bbb11__ »

Thamrill wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:02 am
Hi, there's an option to draw the grid directly in the say field; some times ago I tried making some proof of concepts that may be of interest for you: https://milovana.com/webteases/showteas ... 88990b5703
This is really cool! I’ll dig into this when I have time. Is there a way to view the code? I don’t want you to just give away the code to all your work, so totally cool if you don’t/can’t. Long way to go before I can do something like that.
bbb11__
Explorer
Explorer

Post by bbb11__ »

UPDATE:
- Added hints on every 5th miss
- - along with extra tease instructions
- only pics of selected opponent now used
- all ships auto-place, no picking your own
https://milovana.com/webteases/showtea ... 2452b93251

Working on adding:
- hints based on your guess
- - ex: “I do have a ship in that row/column”
- the actual ending of the tease/game :lol:
Thamrill
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Thamrill »

bbb11__ wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:06 pm
Thamrill wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:02 am
This is really cool! I’ll dig into this when I have time. Is there a way to view the code? I don’t want you to just give away the code to all your work, so totally cool if you don’t/can’t. Long way to go before I can do something like that.
Change "showtease" in "geteosscript" for any tease url to see the source code, all teases are literally opensource :-D

https://milovana.com/webteases/geteossc ... 88990b5703

If you want you can save the script file and then load it back in eos editor by creating a new tease, going in backup and loading the backup of the script.

PS: i gave a look to my script, I suggest you load it up back in the editor, as it is quite difficult to manage as it is
PPS: if you have any question related to my code feel free to write me in dm

bbb11__
Explorer
Explorer

Post by bbb11__ »

Anyone wanna help with code?

Code: Select all

var a = [1,2,2,3,4,5,5,5]
var b = 2
var c = a.filter(x => x == b).length
In EOS c gives no results, it stops the tease and won’t move forward.
Thamrill
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Thamrill »

bbb11__ wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:10 pm Anyone wanna help with code?

Code: Select all

var a = [1,2,2,3,4,5,5,5]
var b = 2
var c = a.filter(x => x == b).length
In EOS c gives no results, it stops the tease and won’t move forward.
Eos has some limitations, I don't know if due to the version of the underlying JavaScript engine, or what (e.g., it doesn't support the let keyword), so maybe the syntax you are using to define c is not supported. Depending on the browser you are using you should be able to open the console, if you have the console open and you start the preview of the tease, the console should show any exception being thrown from the software

bbb11__
Explorer
Explorer

Re: [Feedback] [Unpublished] Battleship!

Post by bbb11__ »

UPDATE 2!:
- NOW COMPLETE!
- - Pages for winning or losing are now on, so you can cum (or be denied)
- added 25% chance of getting an extra tease/hint after a miss
- added if your guess is the right column/row after a miss
- more pics
- https://milovana.com/webteases/showteas ... 2452b93251

Thanks for everyone's feedback! I'm really close to publishing this one. It's still rather long and a tad boring, but it's come a long way. I think it's similar to the Snakes & Ladder teases that inspired me - a lot of stroking with occasional other things added.
SomeWhatEdgy
Explorer
Explorer

Re: [Feedback] [RELEASE] Battleship!

Post by SomeWhatEdgy »

I tried it out and my first thought is that the game is definetly too long for such a monotone task of just mostly randomly picking, id say just take a 5 by 5 field with only 5 ships instead of ten or sth along those lines or make different modes where you can pick the field size. Also there is no way to lose the game i dont think, I am currently on -2 boats and still the game is going, i checked your code and I didnt see any check for the boats if they are below 1 that the game brings you to the loose or win screens. Maybe I just didnt find it but the fact that i am able to play after im already at -2 gives me the hint that there is no check
bbb11__
Explorer
Explorer

Re: [Feedback] [RELEASE] Battleship!

Post by bbb11__ »

SomeWhatEdgy wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:09 pm I tried it out and my first thought is that the game is definetly too long for such a monotone task of just mostly randomly picking, id say just take a 5 by 5 field with only 5 ships instead of ten or sth along those lines or make different modes where you can pick the field size. Also there is no way to lose the game i dont think, I am currently on -2 boats and still the game is going, i checked your code and I didnt see any check for the boats if they are below 1 that the game brings you to the loose or win screens. Maybe I just didnt find it but the fact that i am able to play after im already at -2 gives me the hint that there is no check
Thanks so much for playing!

I do agree it’s a bit long and monotonous. I think shrinking the field might be the best thing. Either that or adding more variety somehow.

There was a loophole if your tenth boat was sunk as a result of the edge button you’d be in the endless loop you saw. I think I’ve closed that. The check was looking for pc_hits == 10. That wasn’t part of the edge button notification. I added that in and changed it to >= 10 just in case! Thanks for catching that bug!!!