Hardware Review: 2D Goggles

We try to keep the advertising to a minimum on Milovana. So if you have a page or product to talk about, please use this forum. Everyone else is welcome to respond with their two cents.
doremi
Experimentor
Experimentor
Sexual Orientation: Straight

Hardware Review: 2D Goggles

Post by doremi »

I've been looking for a VR headset for some time because I've heard that they can also play standard videos. I wanted it to be standalone, i.e., no requirement for a phone, Windows or worst of all, Facebook. HTC seemed to have made an exciting one, but reviews totally destroy it. :-/

So, I searched Amazon to see if 2D goggles exist, and indeed, GOOVIS make nice ones. The feature I really like is that I can remove my glasses and use the optic adjustments on the device. It works really well in my case. When watching a video, you have the impression to be in a movie theatre because the LCD "screen" is surrounded by black corners (from the goggles interior). The difference is that you see perfectly well from corner to corner because the LCD "screen" is right in your optical range. I never experienced that with my Full HD monitor, or in a movie theatre for that matter. The first video I watched is Cock Hero French Touch by Frantzo, and, Damn!, the visual of this "chef d'oeuvre" is even more mesmerising than on my monitor.

EDIT: 2022/11/12
Someone asked me what model I purchased! Sorry, but I can't find the exact product link, and I see so many bundles... The model I choose is the GOOVIS G2 Head-Mounted Display 2D / 3D Glasses with AMOLED HD Display (whatever that means) ... HDMI connectable. The only wire out of that device is the HDMI cable, which is what I needed. Check the accompanying pics to make sure it's the model that you need too. There are so many different ones and bundles at very different prices too.

EDIT: 2022/11/17
About this specific model, there's the HDMI wire on the right side, on the left side, the headphone jack. So, the device's features seem just right. Nothing to complain about. :smile:

PS: Something I needed to shake off when using this kind of device for the first time is the thought about those kind of horror movies where the killer is entering a random home :evil: and the occupant, an immersed VR gamer :music: , has no idea that the blood bath that is about to happen will not be in the virtual reality. :axe:
:lol:

Like they say, I had no idea what I was missing the whole time without my GOOVIS.
Warmly recommended! :w00t:
Last edited by doremi on Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:26 am, edited 4 times in total.
Cock Hero Database (on the ice atm) - https://www.ch-db.club/ - :gathering:
[APP] Cock Hero Slideshow Player - Thinking about a script feature for [APP] Cock Hero Video Player :icecream:
If your video is too fat, there's a solution!
Spoiler: show
The generated output of your video editor may be bloated, too big for not any significant benefit. One thing you can do is use HANDBRAKE with the H.264 (x264), RF18 Constant Quality and Web Optimized / Fast Start options, all other options by default. You'd be surprised how smaller the video becomes, without any impact to the quality.
:yes:

LINKS:

HandBrake, The open source video transcoder
https://handbrake.fr/

For future reference, here's the original Hanbrake post by Eriol:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=12815&hilit=Handbrake#p164242
Interesting for further details about the process.
:thumbsup:
So many projects to kill, so little time. :-)
zebbg69
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Re: Hardware Review: 2D Goggles

Post by zebbg69 »

doremi wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:05 am I've been looking for a VR headset for some time because I've heard that they can also play standard videos. I wanted it to be standalone, i.e., no requirement for a phone, Windows or worst of all, Facebook...

So, I searched Amazon to see if 2D goggles exist, and indeed, GOOVIS make nice ones. The feature I really like is that I can remove my glasses and use the optic adjustments on the device...
Exciting! I too would need goggles that can fit over glasses, and it seems to be a deal breaker or iffy. I thought I had read once about optics adjustments, but when I did more research later, I could not confirm this was a real thing. It would seem pretty essential in the market. Also it would seem that software could do it. If we can simulate physics in real time, surely we can simulate a little refraction.

Thanks for the review. I will take a look at the optics specs. (Haha, specs!)
Rooktus
Explorer
Explorer
I am a: Switch

Post by Rooktus »

If I am not mistaken Oculus sets doesnt need Facebook account anymore. I am using Rift S with glasses without problem. I could also buy special lens (to replace those in Rift S) and I could watch without glasses, but I never tried it as I am not that bothered for now.
Rillo
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Rillo »

Thanks for sharing. I have been looking for something like this for a long time, in terms of visual quality and simplicity. So many of these kind of headsets require accounts and software and this seems to only need a video-in line.
doremi
Experimentor
Experimentor

Post by doremi »

zebbg69 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:35 am Also it would seem that software could do it. If we can simulate physics in real time, surely we can simulate a little refraction.
:lol: If only it was that easy.

What lens do is direct focused light at very precise location within our eyeball. Only this way we can see the light. :innocent: :w00t:
:lol:

PS: Thank God for the lens invention. 8-) Without those, all those pretty things in life would be pretty useless! :smile:
[APP] Cock Hero Slideshow Player - Thinking about a script feature for [APP] Cock Hero Video Player :icecream:
The generated output of your video editor may be bloated, too big for not any significant benefit. One thing you can do is use HANDBRAKE with the H.264 (x264), RF18 Constant Quality and Web Optimized / Fast Start options, all other options by default. You'd be surprised how smaller the video becomes, without any impact to the quality.

LINKS:

zebbg69
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by zebbg69 »

doremi wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:06 pm
zebbg69 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:35 am Also it would seem that software could do it. If we can simulate physics in real time, surely we can simulate a little refraction.
:lol: If only it was that easy.

What lens do is direct focused light at very precise location within our eyeball. Only this way we can see the light...
Wow, is there any topic that's not way more complicated than it looks? And here I thought I knew about lenses because of science class.
doremi
Experimentor
Experimentor

Post by doremi »

I updated the original post because I just discovered the audio jack. :-O :w00t: I'm a happy wanker now. :lol:

LINKS: