[EOS] How to setup bigger project (for estim)

Post all technical issues and questions here. We'll gladly help you wherever we can.
verynicekojak
Explorer
Explorer

[EOS] How to setup bigger project (for estim)

Post by verynicekojak »

Hi,

I have been checking some pages here for a long time. Then I bought estim device, tested it on Chatroom and Hack and it was a lot of fun :). So I created account and now I'm thinking about of creating my own similar estim game.

I'm a programmer, so first I'm trying to figure out what is possible to plan some things in advance. But I have some questions/clarifications. Maybe someone will know:

1. Is there a way way to do loop inside page? Like changing if-block to for-block? Is EOS still being developed and loops may appear one day?
2. Is is possible to preserve original file name when uploading files to gallery (same like in "files" folder)?
3. Selecting random picture with * doesn't work in galleries?
4. Anyone tried "files" folder with a lot of files, for example >200? Is it still useable?
5. Is there a point to add any action after goto? If the page to which we jumped is finished, there is no way to resume previous page, so everything after goto is inaccessible I think.
6. Is dynamic goto really so bad? I would really like to create some graph and allow algorithm to choose where to jump.
7. Are all images and sounds from page loaded at the beginning of the page or there is some progress? Knowing this would help me in answering previous question.

BR,
Kojak
verynicekojak
Explorer
Explorer

Re: [EOS] How to setup bigger project (for estim)

Post by verynicekojak »

And one more :)
8. How long listeners (on sound) survive? If I always use identifier "leftChannel" should I always add new listener when I want to play something or should I do it only once for this sound identifier?
Batman314
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Batman314 »

As a foreword, I should say that I haven't delved as deep into scripting in Eos as other creators, but I have been able to make some pretty innovative teases with mostly the vanilla eos editor as a foundation, and adding in scripting for a few elements. Here's a few points of advice:

1: You can open any public tease in the Eos editor. Just plug in the tease ID, then you can also download the tease as a script and upload it to your own blank tease if you want to pull elements from other teases. Here's a link to one of mine: milovana.com/eos/editor/43300/edit

2: Plan out the design of your tease before making the content. So essentially make just one "session" with all of the elements you want: like maybe volume increase, adding a cumming button, a script to randomly choose the sound file, etc. Because it is much more of a pain to individually change a bunch of sessions if you just want to add a volume increase or something, even if you download the script and do text replace in a text editor its still annoying.

3:
Normalize all of your individual estim files so that they are mostly at the same volume. Certain files will still need adjusting, but this is very necessary especially if you are getting files from different sources and will save a lot of time.

4: A completed tease of short to medium length is much better than a gigantic, overly-ambitious tease that never gets finished. I've seen so many authors, myself included...., try to make the most ambitious tease on Milovana, only to realize that it actually takes a lot of time. Its easy to get really into the programming aspect without realizing that you then have to write compelling dialogue and estim files for 50 plus models.

As for your questions:
verynicekojak wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:04 am 1. Is there a way way to do loop inside page? Like changing if-block to for-block? Is EOS still being developed and loops may appear one day?
It depends on what you're trying to do, but I think you'd mostly have to do some weird work-around. Notifications can be very versatile though. Like this tease: https://milovana.com/webteases/showtease.php?id=41623.
verynicekojak wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:04 am 2. Is is possible to preserve original file name when uploading files to gallery (same like in "files" folder)?
No.
verynicekojak wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:04 am 3. Selecting random picture with * doesn't work in galleries?
Not sure why you're having trouble with this. You just do Select Image>From Galleries>Use Random Image, and Eos does it for you without any scripting.
verynicekojak wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:04 am 4. Anyone tried "files" folder with a lot of files, for example >200? Is it still useable?
I'm not sure what the maximum is, but I probably have gone way beyond 200.
verynicekojak wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:04 am 5. Is there a point to add any action after goto? If the page to which we jumped is finished, there is no way to resume previous page, so everything after goto is inaccessible I think.
Unless its in an if statement or something really weird, Goto is always last. You can save the page ID to a variable in an Eval action if you want to return to a page later, but it will always start the page from the beginning every time.
verynicekojak wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:04 am 6. Is dynamic goto really so bad? I would really like to create some graph and allow algorithm to choose where to jump.
Some of my teases probably use dynamic goto more often than the vanilla goto action. I have never noticed a difference. So I wouldn't be afraid to use dynamic goto actions.
verynicekojak wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:04 am 7. Are all images and sounds from page loaded at the beginning of the page or there is some progress? Knowing this would help me in answering previous question.
In my experience, you only need to worry about preloading images if you're changing images really fast. Like making a gif or something. If there's a few seconds between images and files, you don't notice the loading time unless your internet is really really bad. Generally preloading is not worth the hassle.

I know some of the more programmer type users can give better answers to some of these questions. I hope this was helpful and gets you on the right track with your Eos journey!

-Batman
Rillo
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Rillo »

Batman314 has you well covered here.

For for-loops, you could have the goto action point back at the same page but have an if statement break out of that loop when the condition is met (I guess more of a while-loop, but it can serve the purpose). I doubt we will see much in the way of new features for EOS.

If I understand what you mean by dynamic goto, you can generate a random number and have that dictate the next goto. I do this a lot is Estim Chatroom and Estim Hack. This is how I select what session for a girl is presented.

I would highly recommend checking out my estim tease template.
viewtopic.php?p=306258&hilit=estim+template#p306258
Rillo
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Rillo »

I also second the idea of starting small. Try making something relatively simple and release it. Estim Lab was my test run when Estim Chatroom was the goal all along. :-)
verynicekojak
Explorer
Explorer

Post by verynicekojak »

Thanks for response!
Batman314 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:02 am 1: You can open any public tease in the Eos editor. Just plug in the tease ID, then you can also download the tease as a script and upload it to your own blank tease if you want to pull elements from other teases. Here's a link to one of mine: milovana.com/eos/editor/43300/edit
Thanks, that will be useful to see masters at work :).
Batman314 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:02 am 4: A completed tease of short to medium length is much better than a gigantic, overly-ambitious tease that never gets finished. I've seen so many authors, myself included...., try to make the most ambitious tease on Milovana, only to realize that it actually takes a lot of time. Its easy to get really into the programming aspect without realizing that you then have to write compelling dialogue and estim files for 50 plus models.
I know :). I have been interested in programming for many years. I started and not finished so many projects that I can't even list them all.
Batman314 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:02 am 3. Selecting random picture with * doesn't work in galleries?
Not sure why you're having trouble with this. You just do Select Image>From Galleries>Use Random Image, and Eos does it for you without any scripting.
I tried partial matching of the filename and I think it doesn't work there. Anyway there is no point in using this, since images in gallery have generated names. It's a shame because galleries are such a nice way to group pictures.
Batman314 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:02 am Some of my teases probably use dynamic goto more often than the vanilla goto action. I have never noticed a difference. So I wouldn't be afraid to use dynamic goto actions.
Great. I just asked because there are warnings in EOS editor to not use it.
verynicekojak
Explorer
Explorer

Post by verynicekojak »

Rillo wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:12 am ...