🔍 MiloDB: Finding Old Teases

All about the past, current and future webteases and the art of webteasing in general.
---
Carnal1
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Open to new ideas!

Re: 🔍 MiloDB: Finding Old Teases

Post by Carnal1 »

loaded & working fine for me on windows10.
bobsynol
Explorer
Explorer
Sexual Orientation: Straight
I am a: Switch

Post by bobsynol »

tried it again, with the same downloaded zip, done everything the same and surprise i get the smartscreen message accept the risk and it works... seems to be a issue on my side
FrozenWolf
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Dom/me(s): None
Sub/Slave(s): None

Post by FrozenWolf »

bobsynol wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:25 pm Getting a Windows Message that milodb my contains a virus and therefore is will not be started. Version 1.15 I get the Warning W10 style and ignore the risk and start milodb, since 1.16 the message is W7 style and can't be skipped so I cant start milodb. W10 actually deletes the .exe... is there a workaround i'm missing?
bobsynol wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:47 am tried it again, with the same downloaded zip, done everything the same and surprise i get the smartscreen message accept the risk and it works... seems to be a issue on my side
Sorry to hear that, I haven't had any issues when testing the builds before release. I use Defender on Windows 10 in a VM. Which Windows version are you on and which anti-virus tools do you use? Later on today I'll rebuild it with a newer version of pyinstaller and send it to you. The only other option at the moment is to run it from the source code if you're comfortable doing that.
Carnal1 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:55 am loaded & working fine for me on windows10.
Thanks for letting me know, hopefully this is an isolated issue.
bobsynol
Explorer
Explorer

Post by bobsynol »

Using Windows Defender on W10 Build 19045. At the moment it is working without a problem, i think there is a problem on my side not in your program.

Prior to downloading milodb 1.16 this PC was offline for about a week maybe defender was missing some updates and started misbehaving.
FrozenWolf
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by FrozenWolf »

bobsynol wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:06 am Using Windows Defender on W10 Build 19045. At the moment it is working without a problem, i think there is a problem on my side not in your program.

Prior to downloading milodb 1.16 this PC was offline for about a week maybe defender was missing some updates and started misbehaving.
Ah, I thought W7 and W10 referred to warning codes, that explains why I couldn't look them up online.
Good to hear it's working at the moment. Let me know if you have any more problems.
FrozenWolf
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by FrozenWolf »

Image MiloDB 1.18, 2023-09-30
  • Fixed: Username of @10570 in #8668 renamed 'paswis' -> 'mangoman'
  • Added: Clicking on tease titles in browse pages will jump between list and summary
  • Database: Updated to 2023-06-30
Hopefully the next release will include an automatic update system...hopefully.
FrozenWolf
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by FrozenWolf »

Image MiloDB 2.0.0, 2023-10-31
  • Added: 'update' command to perform self updates
  • Database: Updated to 2023-07-31
This release includes a self-update mechanism that can be access with the '
update
' command. Enter '
help update
' for a bit more information.

There are a few things to note with the new update command:
  • It is insanely verbose and spams a lot of information to the console. I will improve that in the future unless you really like it.
  • There is nothing to update to at the moment, so after the spam it should just say "
    You have the current version
    " (please let me know if it says something else).
  • When there is an update available, it will ask whether you want it or not (if you use the plain '
    update
    ' command).
  • Before updating, it will always back up your current set of files.
  • The update is designed to be incremental so that files that haven't changed won't be downloaded.
  • This release still includes both Windows and Linux executables.
There may be a few rough edges with it to start with as I've massively over-engineered it to keep it interesting for me.

If you're a Windows user and really hate having the Linux executable (or vice versa). there are opportunities for me to provide different variants of release that include a different set of files. I haven't done that yet to keep this a simple release, and I don't know if it actually bothers anybody.

Download as usual from here: viewtopic.php?p=323738#p323738
Trusfrated
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Trusfrated »

FrozenWolf wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:29 pm There may be a few rough edges with it to start with as I've massively over-engineered it to keep it interesting for me.
Never change, my friend. 8-)

The auto update system looks great and is really appreciated! :-D

I love how verbose it is. :whistle:
ImageImage
FrozenWolf
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by FrozenWolf »

Trusfrated wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:21 am The auto update system looks great and is really appreciated! :-D

I love how verbose it is. :whistle:
Thanks! The good news is that when there is an update available and you perform an update, there will be even more verbose output, just in case :-D.
FrozenWolf
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by FrozenWolf »

:warning: The 'update' command doesn't work, sorry about that. :-/

I was hopeful that it would work for the upcoming 2.1.0 release so that you could just type 'update' and it would update, as you might expect. I didn't anticipate all of the quirks and the challenge associated with the application replacing itself while it's still running. It works fine on Linux, and it works fine on Windows if you're running MiloDB from a network drive. For the remaining 99.9% of users, it would have failed halfway through.

I've been reworking it and I think I've got a working solution now.

TL;DR When 2.1.0 is released, if you use the 'update' command on 2.0.0, you'll see a bonkers error message like this:

Code: Select all

Error: Update directory 'https://raw.githubusercontent.com/FrozenWolf4887/milodb-releases/main/updater/directory.json' error: Key 'assetRegister/assets/0213a4ccb219b9729441515967de239b2692caac0d8a984250a016df/uri' is missing
That just means that 2.1.0 will have to be downloaded manually. Fingers crossed that the 'new' update mechanism that'll ship with 2.1.0 will actually work going forward.
vanCoochee
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by vanCoochee »

FrozenWolf wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:32 pm
I just saw your code ...you pervert! :-P ...were you sodomized by Java folk, trapped in their abstract factory factories? Gave me the creeps:
Spoiler: show

class _LoaderGet(ICommandLoader):

plain_formatter_creator: IFormatterCreator = FormatterCreator(
            'plain', lambda printer: PlainFormatter(ellipsis_max_width.get() if use_ellipsis.get() else None, show_pagerefs.get(), printer))
If deviant code were a fetish...
Anyway. I have no quarrel with you, I just could not help myself telling you this. This code would serve well as a wake-up-and-fix-it-call...
                           Playgrounds
                 ༺ NNN 2023 "Island"Decks of DenialIt's time to duel
FrozenWolf
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by FrozenWolf »

Image MiloDB 2.1.0, 2023-11-30
  • Removed: 'update' command to perform self updates
  • Database: Updated to 2023-08-31
I didn't have enough time to fix and test the update command (see viewtopic.php?p=356383#p356383), so I thought it best to remove it for now to avoid confusion (or false hope and wondrous anticipation of a brighter future).

The download is available from here: viewtopic.php?p=323738#p323738.
FrozenWolf
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by FrozenWolf »

vanCoochee wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:18 pm
FrozenWolf wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:32 pm
I just saw your code ...you pervert! :-P ...were you sodomized by Java folk, trapped in their abstract factory factories? Gave me the creeps:

'plain', lambda printer: PlainFormatter(ellipsis_max_width.get() if use_ellipsis.get() else None, show_pagerefs.get(), printer))
Anyway. I have no quarrel with you, I just could not help myself telling you this. This code would serve well as a wake-up-and-fix-it-call...
:lol: Firstly, thank you for having a look at the code! It's nice to think it can provoke an emotion or two, even if it's 'the creeps'.

The lesser-known "Factory-Factory" pattern was due to the requirement for the dynamic instantiation of a formatter with contextual variables and to abstract the textual name to provide the tab completion capabilities suitable for the console input. The command factory, loading, and execution is similar.

Realistically of course, the factories and interfaces are there to enable much simpler testing of classes and functions with mocks or fakes in isolation from the rest of the system. The command loaders work from an argument stream from the typed input. The command executors however are deliberately abstracted from the input, hence an executor can be constructed to 'do a job' without having to feed it textual input to parse.
PlayfulGuy
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual/Bi-Curious
Dom/me(s): No domme
Sub/Slave(s): No sub

Post by PlayfulGuy »

vanCoochee wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:18 pm I just saw your code ...you pervert! :-P ...were you sodomized by Java folk, trapped in their abstract factory factories? Gave me the creeps:

FrozenWolf wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:47 pm
:lol: Firstly, thank you for having a look at the code! It's nice to think it can provoke an emotion or two, even if it's 'the creeps'.

The lesser-known "Factory-Factory" pattern was due to the requirement for the dynamic instantiation of a formatter with contextual variables and to abstract the textual name to provide the tab completion capabilities suitable for the console input. The command factory, loading, and execution is similar.

Realistically of course, the factories and interfaces are there to enable much simpler testing of classes and functions with mocks or fakes in isolation from the rest of the system. The command loaders work from an argument stream from the typed input. The command executors however are deliberately abstracted from the input, hence an executor can be constructed to 'do a job' without having to feed it textual input to parse.
This discussion brings up all kinds of emotions. I'm an old computer science guy from way back, and I've done some programming, and that kind of code gives me a headache. Creepy is a good word for it. :-|

This explanation was even more upsetting because I find it incomprehensible :lol: It reads like someone's Phd thesis.

Thanks god I can just download it and run it! :-D
I'm really getting old! :-/

PG
FrozenWolf
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by FrozenWolf »