3D Printing Toys

This is the place for all suggestions, releases and feedback regarding Milovana Hardware efforts.
BBBeanie
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual/Bi-Curious
I am a: Submissive

3D Printing Toys

Post by BBBeanie »

Hello All,

I’ve recently come upon a 3D printer and have been printing as a hobby. I was wondering how to print safe sex toys. I know that I can’t bust straight print a dildo or any other insertable and use it immediately. I don’t have too much experience in making things body safe.

I know Pla is safe to eat from but not necessarily safe for insertion. Not to mention the print lines might hurt especially if they layers are large. And sanding it won’t completely solve the issue. So maybe there’s a spray of some sort to coat the toy in a safer material.

The only other option I can think of is printing a mold and using a silicon/resin fill

Any tips and ideas would be awesome
Playing Please Help Me Cum
Have Fun Pleasing Kyla and Her Guests at Kyla's Party
Enjoy an Erotic Adventure at the LustB&B
badjano
Explorer
Explorer
Dom/me(s): ankh

Re: 3D Printing Toys

Post by badjano »

My approach for now is to design everything to be used with a condom -making the search for body safe materials less important. 3D printing generally produces surface impefections (pores etc) so insertables seem challenging.
The print needs to not stress the condom enough to damage it and stay in one piece if inserted/under stress. The latter is I think very important for body safe designs, calculating how the structure reacts to stress, designing with safe structural failure in mind etc.
RemiHiyama
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
I am a: Switch

Post by RemiHiyama »

BBBeanie wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:33 am The only other option I can think of is printing a mold and using a silicon/resin fill
There's a few sex toy designs on thingiverse done this way.
Auto: Replaces selected instances of the word "not" with the word "definitely".
BBBeanie
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by BBBeanie »

@Bandajo
Interesting, yea I can see why you would want to stress test before inserting. Would be a bad day indeed if a 3D print broke inside you. So maybe a good approach is to design one that’s structurally sound then find a way to cover the pores. I was thinking maybe instead of a condom maybe a silicon/resin dip to make a more permanent cover.

@RemiHiyama
I’ve seen a few molds but I haven’t molded something before not sure what to use as a fill
Playing Please Help Me Cum
Have Fun Pleasing Kyla and Her Guests at Kyla's Party
Enjoy an Erotic Adventure at the LustB&B
TheHenchmen
Explorer
Explorer
I am a: Switch

Post by TheHenchmen »

The common use for 3D printers would be:
- electrode holders
- chastity belts
- locks/handcuffs

Insertables are a difficult issue, as even if you use the printer just to create a mold, the texture won´t be smooth enough.
e-stim_junkie
Explorer
Explorer

Post by e-stim_junkie »

If your printer can handle ABS, you can print and then acetone smooth the part. That would seal it and give a glossy finish.

There is also resin printers. Many of the resins are touch safe and once properly post-processed would be fine for your application. There are already adult toy companies that use resin printers for custom adult toys.

If I can find the time I will attempt a couple of test parts in ABS and then smooth them. I'll post pic here once that is done.
janmb
Experimentor
Experimentor
Sexual Orientation: Straight

Post by janmb »

As you are already clearly aware, be very careful with this.

Insertables, especially when used vigorously, hold another danger: Breaking apart, leaving very sharp edges, and a hard to retrieve piece of it inside you.
Yes, I most certainly CAN do it again!
zingg2
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by zingg2 »

My gut reaction here is to assume that anything that comes out of a 3D printer is not body-safe both because of materials and (for unprocessed FDM prints) texture. You can solve the materials problem with body-safe silicone (think clone-a-willy kits, but there's likely suppliers of an equivalent product with a lot less markup). I imagine a coating process would work reasonably well for some types of toys, and that would also address the texture issue. For other types of toys, casting seems like a good bet, but I don't know what sort of interface to apply to your molds to prevent plastic fibers embedding themselves in the silicone. Maybe a condom works as a barrier here?

As others have noted - be extra cautious with things that are insertable, and anything that might break under load. It can be hard to predict the way that 3D printed parts fail - while a general guideline is "they're weak along the layer lines", different materials and infill patterns will have a big effect on other failure modes.