[Feedback] The Cursed Ascent (now with poll!)

All about the past, current and future webteases and the art of webteasing in general.
---

What new feature would you like the most? (*Explanation in first post. Feel free to comment below!)

harder difficulty option: harder tasks
10%
harder difficulty option: e.g. less max health or stronger Vixens
4%
easier difficulty option: easier tasks or regen after battle
7%
Boss Mode* (fight a hard new Vixen)
22%
Artifact shop* (change entire Ascent)
6%
Challenge (option before a fight: gain gold but make the Vixen stronger)
7%
New task: Tease*
9%
Cheat Mode*
12%
Player-created Vixens*
6%
User-created Vixens*
16%

Total votes: 139

itslate
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Straight

[Feedback] The Cursed Ascent (now with poll!)

Post by itslate »

Hey everybody,
I finally finished my new tease!

I can't tell you how excited I am. I really did put a LOT of work into this and I did make some changes the last month in order to make it more accessible. Still though, this isn't a "drift of and enjoy" kind of tease. You will have to learn some rules and get the concept but then I really hope you will like it. Maybe put on some video-game music (Monstertrains OST is great!) and really get into it!

But in order to make it even better, I need you guys to give me feedback. In particular:
- How could I make the game mechanics and rules more accessible or improve on the Tutorial?
- What Vixens were too easy? What Vixens were too hard?
- Did you encounter anything that you think wasn't intended? Savegames disappearing, loosing health when you shouldn't, etc?
- Are you looking forward to any other features the game could have?

Also, feel free to share how you played the game and what Vixens were your favorites! :-) Any gear that you think is OP? Do you have a build to share? I'm really looking forward to these kinds of discussions!

So game on and thank you! :love:

P.S.: I will use this first post in this topic to keep you guys updated on the development.

What is The Cursed Ascent?
Spoiler: show
It is a teasing game with a capital "G". It is inspired by roguelike games like Slay the Spire and Monster Train and the idea is this:
You are bound by the Evil Witch to her Realms and in order to escape, you need to ascend. You do so mainly by battling her Vixens, gorgeous models, in tactical battles. You will have 5 actions to choose from: Block, Attack, Boost, Cleanse and Steal. You will unlock new actions and improve old ones. But! Every action is tied to a teasing task: Stroke, Edge, Hold the edge, CBT and PC-Muscle training, respectively.
While the first Realm has easy battles that mostly require you to Block (and thus Stroke), battles get a lot more complicated, especially because of introduced Buffs and Debuffs. There are over 30 Vixens, each with their own quotes, pictures, strengths, weaknesses and "AI", making each Vixen essentially her own little puzzle to solve.
You have to do this while keeping your total health up so you don't have your run ("ascent") aborted. The higher you ascend, the more you unlock for future runs and you may even be rewarded with a ruined or full orgasm.
Latest bugfixes and changes:
- added a battle-menu in which the player can report a failure, search a status or end the ascent
- fixed an unlockable rogue
- fixed armored and immunity
- rebalanced some vixens with confuse abilities
- fixed the Bearer of Gifts
- fixed a bug where no action could be taken with a combination of statuses
- fixed the Curse of Death
- fixed the Curse of Space
Explanation on poll options:
- The harder difficulty options could be done as Curses, of course.
- Boss Mode would give you a set ammount of gold to go shopping with and then you would face a single very hard Vixen.
- Artifact shop: To give more variability, you would have the option to gain a random artifact after clearing each realm. It would give a unique challenge for the rest of the run. Like: Limitbreak only costs 50 Limit, BUT all enemies have +1 attack.
- new task: Tease: This would be the easiest task, telling you to tease yourself with feather like strokes, a ball massage or something like that
- Cheat Mode: For people who want to test out the whole game, you could buy a Password with keys, allowing you to kill Vixens instantly and travel and fight freely.
- Player-created Vixens: You could input the variables for an enemy Vixen and then fight it. However, the input would be tediously long and the enemy Vixen could not be saved in your save file, due to size restrictions.
- User-created Vixens: If there were enough interested players, I would make a new forum thread, detailing the programming behind Vixens. It's basically a couple of variables and an attack pattern in form of a list. People could come up with their own Vixens, post the code and I would implement them as optional enemies.
Version 2.0 changes
Version 2.0 Highlights:
- New game modes
- New difficulty options
- New unlocks
- 5 new actions and training levels at the Dojo
- New Vixen set with new status effects
- Rebalanced limit system

Overall improvements:
- New difficulty options, impacting earned Keys and HighScore
- Added HighScore function.
- Learn five new Actions at the Dojo and train an additional Level to improve them.
- Added Boss Mode: Buy a password for a Vixen with Keys, then battle her after you visited some places and customized her stats.
- Added Challenge Mode: Make the Vixen stronger in return for gaining Gold.
- Unlocked "knowledge images" are updated and now appear in-game.
- Status Line now displays in alphabetical order and in this format: "Buffs / Debuffs / Status affecting tasks only".
- Triggered effects like Counter are now shown in a notification.
- Added some Vixen quotes.
- Battle-Menu now shows weapons and items.
- Training Boost the first time now correctly awards 10 Boost.

Limit System changes (all versions):
- ALL sources of damage give 5 Limit per point of damage.
- The Rogue gains 10 Limit after each turn.
- Some actions cost Limit, displayed in brackets after the action name.
- Encourage and Discourage affect ALL sources of Limit gaining.

Balance changes (all versions):
- Meditating at the campfire gives Relaxed15.
- Changed "Boost Status" to no longer have the chance go give Hasted.
- New status effect: Dazed: Don't take the first X actions next turn.

Status changes (all versions):
- Relaxed, Reprimanded, Weakened, Encouraged and Discouraged now have double the effect if they are at 10+. This is shown by displaying the status in CAPS.
- Feared now prohibits all Boost and Seize actions.
- Silenced now prohibits all actions that cost Limit.
- Encouraged no longer makes Boost Status stronger.

Vixen changes (Version 2.0 only):
- Battling version 2.0 Vixens gives Keys and HighScore as a higher difficulty mode would.
- The Player can choose to battle Version 1.0 Vixens before starting the Ascent without penalty.
- Version 2.0 Vixens in Realm 3 and 4 are more defensive and thus harder to beat with just attacks, making other strategies more viable.
- New status effects used or applied by Version 2.0 Vixens:
- - exhausted: Attacking applies Weakened X to yourself.
- - Vengeance: Gain 1 Force stat, 2 nature stats and 2 Immune when loosing more than X health from any action.
- - Guarding: Can't lose more than 10-X health from a single attack. Can't be reduced below 1 or raised above 10. Increases by 2 if attacked. Decreases by 2 if not attacked for a round.
- - Cleansing: Cleanses for x at the very end of each turn.
Last edited by itslate on Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:03 am, edited 18 times in total.
Kongming
Explorer
Explorer

Re: [Feedback:] The Cursed Ascent

Post by Kongming »

I had a quick run just now just to get a first look and I think I encountered some issues that I assume are bugs?
  • After buying skills at the Dojo and trying to leave it again, the game keeps charging me 20 Gold until I don't have enough anymore to pay for it.
  • At the Campsite after using Tinder you have to option to check your stats. If you click on that you lose the chance to choose one of the 3 boons
I really like the basic concept of this. Will give more detailled feedback once I had more time with it :-D
itslate
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by itslate »

Kongming wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:00 pm I had a quick run just now just to get a first look and I think I encountered some issues that I assume are bugs?
  • After buying skills at the Dojo and trying to leave it again, the game keeps charging me 20 Gold until I don't have enough anymore to pay for it.
  • At the Campsite after using Tinder you have to option to check your stats. If you click on that you lose the chance to choose one of the 3 boons
I really like the basic concept of this. Will give more detailled feedback once I had more time with it :-D
Thank you for reporting! I think I fixed it! The stats issue is more difficult, will look at it tomorrow :-)
level wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:05 pmI have questions about some of the status effects I encountered, such as fragility. When I searched the terms in the glossary nothing came up. Will there be some addition to improve the clarity of these effects in the future?
Hey, you need to type it with a capital "F" in "Search status", then it should get explained :-)

Buffs and Debuffs are capital letters, Nature with lower cases.
Xipotech
Explorer
Explorer
Dom/me(s): Still looking for.

Post by Xipotech »

Interesting tease, I like it :-)
On PC and CBT there are no button "DONE", for example: slap balls 5 times or bounce 10times - time limit 30s, there are quite a lot of time left after finishing, bit boring :-/
Nevertheless - great work :thumbsup:
itslate
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by itslate »

Xipotech wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:34 pm Interesting tease, I like it :-)
On PC and CBT there are no button "DONE", for example: slap balls 5 times or bounce 10times - time limit 30s, there are quite a lot of time left after finishing, bit boring :-/
Nevertheless - great work :thumbsup:
DONE

No kidding, thanks for these suggestions, they are really helpful!
kinkyswan
Explorer
Explorer
I am a: Submissive

Re: [Feedback] The Cursed Ascent

Post by kinkyswan »

Bug report:
After completing Realm 2, I was given a key. But in Realm 3, when I look at my stats, the Keys stat still shows 0.
sparkyjo
Explorer
Explorer

Post by sparkyjo »

Great Game.
You need to remove the done button from the timed tasks as unless you "hold your pc muscles for 5 seconds" you have failed.
it was a useful skip during the tutorial though.
itslate
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by itslate »

kinkyswan wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:38 am Bug report:
After completing Realm 2, I was given a key. But in Realm 3, when I look at my stats, the Keys stat still shows 0.
Keys are only awarded at the end of a run. End the run and the Key will be awarded to you. :-)
sparkyjo wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:41 amYou need to remove the done button from the timed tasks as unless you "hold your pc muscles for 5 seconds" you have failed.
PC holding seems to work fine on my end: Both the timer running out and clicking Done! count as successful tasks. Do you fail the task when you click done?
fapnip
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by fapnip »

I'm thoroughly confused by the first message in this tease:
itslate wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:10 amPlease log into Milovana before starting this tease for additional features.
What additional features could you add to an EOS tease from being logged in? (Seems to have invited a bunch of new users to sign up, so I'm not complaining. Just curious.)
itslate
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by itslate »

You can't use save game features without an account, as far as I know.
This message only appears when you start the tease without being logged in or on your very first play.
jk37
Explorer
Explorer

Post by jk37 »

How does the save game feature work. It says it the game is saving while I am playing, but when I come back later it starts me back at the beginning. Maybe I am doing something wrong. I am signed in. Do I have to stop at a certain point to be able to use a saved game and get a password?

Enjoyed what I have done of the tease so far.
fapnip
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by fapnip »

itslate wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:52 pm You can't use save game features without an account, as far as I know.
AFAIK, Tease Storage is independent of your Milovana account, using the browser's local storage only. If you're in private/incognito mode, Tease Storage will be lost after you close your browser window, even if you are logged into your Milovana account.

(It would be nice if EOS would do a back-end callback to load/save storage for the current session server side, but, from what I can see in EOS' code, it does not. Only loads/saves from window.localStorage in its postMessage listener.)
RemiHiyama
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
I am a: Switch

Post by RemiHiyama »

If you are logged in, tease storage should be saved to your account. If you have the network tab open in the chrome devtools you can even see it happening.
Auto: Replaces selected instances of the word "not" with the word "definitely".
fapnip
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by fapnip »

RemiHiyama wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:45 pm If you are logged in, tease storage should be saved to your account. If you have the network tab open in the chrome devtools you can even see it happening.
Well would you look at that. I also clearly see the saveTeaseStorage mutation in EOS's postMessage handler now. Don't know how I missed that for so long.
itslate
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by itslate »

jk37 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:57 pm How does the save game feature work. It says it the game is saving while I am playing, but when I come back later it starts me back at the beginning. Maybe I am doing something wrong. I am signed in. Do I have to stop at a certain point to be able to use a saved game and get a password?
The game saves everytime you see the realm page. And I tested this a bunch. I had that EOS storage problem, because EOS savefiles are ridiculously tiny and it took me ages to figure out that was why the save game function didn't work. But now it really should because I worked around it.

Does the "Please log into Milovana" message appear again?

The password doesn't have anything to do with savegames though.