Cool Iris Issue

Post all technical issues and questions here. We'll gladly help you wherever we can.
slavechylde
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Cool Iris Issue

Post by slavechylde »

I'm sure you know what Cool Iris is, but just in case you don't, it's an add-on for Firefox that allows a user to place the cursor over a link and see a preview of the web page without going there. Very useful.

If you access the site via Firefox, and you are running Cool Iris, place the cursor over one of the voting links. The Cool Iris preview comes up. If you click on the link BEFORE the Cool Iris preview comes all the way up, there is no problem...your vote gets counted at that time. If however, you don't click before the Cool Iris preview comes up, the site counts the access as a vote.

When you click on the link after that, you're informed that the vote has already be counted. That's okay if you had it hovering over the vote grade you wanted to give it, but not if you had it over another score that you didn't want to give to the tease.

There may be nothing that can be done about it, but I thought you should be aware in case you get an angry post from someone.

-slavechylde
seraph0x
Administrator
Administrator

Post by seraph0x »

First of all, thanks, didn't know about that plugin, but sounds cool. I'll try it sometime.

As for the voting bug: Yes, obviously the designer rely on the fact that all truly interactive elements on a site use forms (i.e. the POST method), which is a pretty bold assumption. (I'm sure there are some sites where you can accidently order stuff or something with this. :lol:)

On the other hand, the method we use for the voting is arguably not the best choice. (Thinking about it, the Googlebot is probably voting on teases, too, because of this. :lol: ) So, it's obvious I'll have to do something about this. Thanks for reporting! :smile: