EStim sound library and EStimSurprise Tease

All about the past, current and future webteases and the art of webteasing in general.
---
Hopper725
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Re: EStim sound library and EStimSurprise Tease

Post by Hopper725 »

mantrid wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:22 pm Sorry for the late reply.

I reorganized everything, see the initial post for an updated general description and the download link.

Changes:
  • Everything is put into one package which now contains pre-generated sound files for stereo boxes, definitions for dynamically geneated sounds, the tease and the HTTP server needed for the playback of the dynamic version
  • The package contains two lib versions
    • v1.8 is equal to v1.7 except that it does not contain bugs (hopefully). These bugs disabled the phase modulation effects for stereo devices (I didn't recognized this because I use 4 channels)
    • v1.9 should be less rough
    • The audio files became a little bit unsorted over time
    • You can switch between version during the tease by pressing the "Repeat 1.8" or the "Repeat 1.9" button. (This changes the lib and re-plays the current file)
    • The algorithm for sound generation has been changed and the sound configuration has been simplified. The initial post contains some additional hints for configuration.
    Also sorry for not posting updates. Because no one seemed to be interested in my stuff that had no high priority.
Thank you. I’ll look at it again. I tried several times recently but could not seem to unpack the sound files in the correct directory. The tease worked via html but I simply had no sound at all, not even calibration. I really want to try this tease. I hope I can make
It work. I’m not setup on guideme since I’m a Mac user. I do have a windows machine with me perhaps that would be an easier experience? Any help u can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Hop
Hopper725
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Hopper725 »

I downloaded the new file and I still do not have audio. I’m using browser with the html format. The tease
Runs but no audio. Any thoughts? Thanks for posting the new file
Hop
mantrid
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Straight
I am a: Switch

Post by mantrid »

Hopper725 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:11 pm I downloaded the new file and I still do not have audio. I’m using browser with the html format. The tease
Hop
Which browser do yo use? Is it a browser restriction (audio may be disabled)? Can anyone confirm this?

I tested it with Mozilla/Gecko and Falcon/Chromium/Blink. At least all browsers that base on engines Gecko and Blink should work.

You may also try GServer which uses Java for audio playback.
GAsm -- A guide assembler with EStim support to generate interactive teases that run in a browser.
Hopper725
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Hopper725 »

mantrid wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:11 pm
Hopper725 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:11 pm I downloaded the new file and I still do not have audio. I’m using browser with the html format. The tease
Hop
Which browser do yo use? Is it a browser restriction (audio may be disabled)? Can anyone confirm this?

I tested it with Mozilla/Gecko and Falcon/Chromium/Blink. At least all browsers that base on engines Gecko and Blink should work.

You may also try GServer which uses Java for audio playback.
I am using Safari on my Mac. Audio not disabled. I tried to install Java, but I am honestly not exactly sure how to get started with GServer. I'd like to try it but I am not exactly a computer expert. I know enough to make my IT friends very nervous. I would greatly value any help you may be able to share in getting GServer working on my MAC, if that's even possible. If it is simply trying a new browser i can certainly try one that you would recommend.
Thanks very much, I really can't express how much your engagement means. I'm just not super tech savvy as some of you all.

Hop
mantrid
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by mantrid »

Hopper725 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:50 pm Safari on my Mac. Audio not disabled.
Safari bases on the WebKit rendering engine which I did not tested. Try to install a browser that either bases on Gecko (e.g. Mozilla) or on Blink (e.g. Chrome or Opera)
I tried to install Java, but I am honestly not exactly sure how to get started with GServer.
You need to have Java installed (JRE or JDK). You may try to double click on the .jar file. If the file type is associated to `java -jar` and if it is executed in the directory of the .jar file, that should work.

Otherwise open a terminal (console, command line, command prompt or however this is called in in you OS), change to the directory where the .jar file is located (command `cd`) and run `java -jar GServer.jar`. Try an internet search if that does not help (e.g. "macos run a jar file". You even find videos.)

You can also generate a program starter which does the same. (OS specific. Should also be described in the internet)
GAsm -- A guide assembler with EStim support to generate interactive teases that run in a browser.
Hopper725
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Hopper725 »

mantrid wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:15 pm
Hopper725 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:50 pm Safari on my Mac. Audio not disabled.
Safari bases on the WebKit rendering engine which I did not tested. Try to install a browser that either bases on Gecko (e.g. Mozilla) or on Blink (e.g. Chrome or Opera)
I tried to install Java, but I am honestly not exactly sure how to get started with GServer.
You need to have Java installed (JRE or JDK). You may try to double click on the .jar file. If the file type is associated to `java -jar` and if it is executed in the directory of the .jar file, that should work.

I downloaded Mozilla Firefox last night but did not install yet. I’ll try it this evening. Than you very much. I’ll post results. Thank you for your guidance.

Otherwise open a terminal (console, command line, command prompt or however this is called in in you OS), change to the directory where the .jar file is located (command `cd`) and run `java -jar GServer.jar`. Try an internet search if that does not help (e.g. "macos run a jar file". You even find videos.)

You can also generate a program starter which does the same. (OS specific. Should also be described in the internet)
Hopper725
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Hopper725 »

Hopper725 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:30 pm
mantrid wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:15 pm

I downloaded Mozilla Firefox last night but did not install yet. I’ll try it this evening. Than you very much. I’ll post results. Thank you for your guidance.

It worked!!!! I installed Firefox and I now have sound. The audio is a bit choppy, not smooth like other teases. I’ll need to play around with it. Next is installing guide me on my windows machine to see how that works or the gaerver option. Thank you so much for sticking with me through this. I am greatful!!
lr_x3
Explorer
Explorer

Post by lr_x3 »

Hi,

came across this thread and wanted to try the estim sounds / tease but have a problem.
Not sure if it's a bug or a technical limitation of the software.

I'm starting the Gserver.jar from computer A (Win10, java17) with "-a" option to allow access from my local network.
Then I'm starting the tease on computer B in a browser window.
The tease is playing fine in the browser window on computer B but the audio is playing on computer A!

Any idea why? Working as intended or a bug?
mantrid
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by mantrid »

lr_x3 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:01 am I'm starting the Gserver.jar from computer A (Win10, java17) with "-a" option to allow access from my local network.
Then I'm starting the tease on computer B in a browser window.
The tease is playing fine in the browser window on computer B but the audio is playing on computer A!

Any idea why? Working as intended or a bug?
Currently this is intended. The server is only needed for dynamic sound generation. (Without this, you don't need the server or you can use an ordinary http server). The sound is generated in real time by the server and also played back by the server. Streaming to the client is not supported. (It is possible but not trivial).

The only feasible way to use the (remote-)network capability is to run the server on a headless computer (e.g. a Raspberry Pi) and to use an other device (e.g. a tablet computer) for the user interactions.

I have some plans (but no time) to reorganize the software (infrastructure + sound generation): Current plans are (way A):

Generalize the server concept such that the server acts as an interface to connected sex toys. (This Allows hardware projects where Raspberry Pi runs the server in order to control sex toys.) The estim sound generator then becomes a plugin for the server.

But indeed, it is also an option to move the sound generation completely to the client side using JavaScript (way B). This makes the server obsolete.

So, If there is some demand for way A, I'll go this way as soon I have time. Otherwise i will consider way B.
diglet
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by diglet »

Hi mantrid, I'm working on a new sound generation tool, I have some questions that you might be able to answer.

Currently I have a three-phase setup, my software generates the two audio channels according to user input, it uses some math transformations to map the user input to a specific combination of amplitude/phase, so that the user has the maximum possible control over the current paths between the three electrodes. I use a simple sine wave carrier.

I'm now looking into amplitude modulation, conditional on time. There are various approaches. For illustration purposes I choose a carrier frequency of 30hz, but actual waveforms will be in the range of a few hundred hz.

Figure 1 is my current approach. Figure 2 is the approach I see everyone using (for example frequencies 420,520,620). Figure 3 is an approach that appears to be identical to figure 2, but is significantly less computationally expensive with my software.

Here is another one with frequencies I found elsewhere that uses figure 2 approach:
This appears to result in a modulation frequency of 110hz. There is some other crap mixed in, but this should not be noticeable(?)

I find the use of amplitude modulation by combining waveforms of different frequencies to be quite confusing, as there is no easy way to determine what the resulting modulation frequency is. The approach in figure 3 looks like a much better way because the most important frequency clearly appears in the formula.

Questions:
The sensation between figure 2 and 3 should be almost identical. Method 3 is much easier to implement, is there any convincing reason to prefer the method of figure 2?
Is there a theoretical reason why the square modulation in figure 4 would feel better or worse at high frequencies (~50-100hz), what about low frequencies (1~5hz)?
When using lower modulation frequencies, should we increase both the off and on time, or does it make sense to keep the on time constant and only increase the off time?
Have you experiences with multiple modulation frequencies. For example 50hz + 0.1 * 3hz?
Are there any approaches other than these that are worth mentioning?

I've read your readme on gitlab -- it was very informative, especially the part about 30-50hz neuron bandwidth.
edger477
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
I am a: None of the above

Post by edger477 »

Are you sure you are not mixing concepts of amplitude modulation and having multiple carrier waves? I guess you can say it is the same because each frequency that is present is modulating the rest of the signal, but we normally use carrier wave that is at least order of magnitude higher frequency than amplitude modulation frequency. So, the carrier frequency - it is speed at which stim sensation is "vibrating" while modulation frequency is to cause spikes, thrusting sensations etc, to prevent it being constant volume.

The last figure where you concluded that modulation is 110hz... how did you conclude that? Do you use FFT (frequency analysis in Audacity) to see the components of the signal? I don't think this is "modulation" frequency, is just that all carrier frequencies used have (almost) common denominator that then produces spikes (the reason you would want to use prime numbers as carrier frequencies if you wanted to avoid that :))
throwawayacct
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by throwawayacct »

edger477 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:32 pm all carrier frequencies used have (almost) common denominator that then produces spikes (the reason you would want to use prime numbers as carrier frequencies if you wanted to avoid that :))
A few years back when the converter first debuted, there was a bit of discussion over why some user's conversions had spikes - and someone determined it was an effect of the carrier signals *not* having a common denominator.

I run almost all of my track frequencies as multiples of 99, most commonly 495,891 and I don't get or notice spikes like if I put the frequencies out of sync.
edger477
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by edger477 »

throwawayacct wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:07 pm I run almost all of my track frequencies as multiples of 99, most commonly 495,891 and I don't get or notice spikes like if I put the frequencies out of sync.
I suspect "out of sync" were not really out of sync.

The "spikes" would be harmonics of the frequencies (common denominator)

Example
vs

The second file has regular spikes at 100Hz while first does not, because its carriers are all prime numbers. However, when they look "out of sync" that most often means that the common denominator is 2,3, 5, so you will get 2, 3, 5 spikes per second - which is what it will be much much more harsh than 100 where it just feels like a vibration.

When zoomed out, we can also see on 2nd signal there is harmonic between 600 and 900 Hz, which causes pattern that repeats 3x every second (because 3 is common denominator for both), while prime signal has no patterns.

I guess we mostly want the harmonics, but not in low frequencies, and I should create a helper to fill in frequencies in converter based on user's desired denominator.
diglet
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by diglet »

I am deliberately mixing the concept of amplitude modulation and multiple carrier waves, because I believe these are two ways to obtain the same effect. I'm not sure this is true.

I concluded the modulation is 110hz by counting the number of spikes in a 0.1 second interval and dividing by 10. My intuition is that you only feel the largest spike in the signal, so this waveform would feel identical to a 500-1000hz carrier plus 110hz amplitude modulation.

If the prime factors / LCM / harmonics determine the final sensation, then it would make most sense to let the user input the resulting harmonic (110hz) instead of the frequencies of the individual carrier waves (444, 555...). Expecting the user to input numbers with a common prime factor is bad UX.
edger477
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by edger477 »

diglet wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:05 pm I am deliberately mixing the concept of amplitude modulation and multiple carrier waves, because I believe these are two ways to obtain the same effect. I'm not sure this is true.

I concluded the modulation is 110hz by counting the number of spikes in a 0.1 second interval and dividing by 10. My intuition is that you only feel the largest spike in the signal, so this waveform would feel identical to a 500-1000hz carrier plus 110hz amplitude modulation.

If the prime factors / LCM / harmonics determine the final sensation, then it would make most sense to let the user input the resulting harmonic (110hz) instead of the frequencies of the individual carrier waves (444, 555...). Expecting the user to input numbers with a common prime factor is bad UX.
Ok I understand, and I think you might be able to achieve similar effect, but it will not be the same. You need to be aware of difference between harmonics and amplitude modulation. I think is clear if we add 30hz to standard list of frequencies for converter:

While amplitude modulation would just limit the maximum amplitude of signal, adding another frequency component is just that - it makes the whole signal vibrate at 30Hz, and you can "revert" it by adding another 30Hz signal with opposite polarity (with amplitude modulation you irreversibly loose the data about volume that was there before effect).

I guess you will generate both the harmonic and tremolo and make the necessary sacrifice to compare the signals? :)