spellcheck?

Do you think Milovana.com is perfect in every way? Hopefully not, so what can we do to improve? Every idea, suggestion or criticism is highly appreciated.
fearghas
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Straight
I am a: Submissive
Dom/me(s): She's out there, somewhere. Maybe.

spellcheck?

Post by fearghas »

Hey everybody

I did a little searching and don't see that this has come up before. If it has and I didn't find it, sorry.

I don't understand why we don't have a spellchecking feature for writing PM's and forum posts. I have always been self-conscious about spelling, but never really great at it for whatever reason, and I for one would very much apreciate having it. Is this something that would be a massive project with significant expense? I don't know how it works, I just know I like it when I have it. :-)

Any thoughts?
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."
- Marion Morrison
elvisomar
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Dom/me(s): None, but I'd be interested

Re: spellcheck?

Post by elvisomar »

Oh gosh, I hope this thread gains some traction...

The least any writer can do is to draft their teases in a simple text editing program that includes spellcheck. Then copy and paste the text into the tease building software. For me, and I know for many others here, bad spelling and grammar can very quickly knock me out of the appropriate headspace to enjoy an otherwise thrilling tease script. I would probably never be in a relationship with a woman that can't tell the difference between "your" and "you're", so when a woman in a tease makes that mistake, I start thinking about just getting the tease over with so I can cum.

I have no idea how one would implement a spellcheck into the current builder system here. I can only imagine it is theoretically possible. Fingers and toes crossed.
Imagynation
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Imagynation »

Your and you're (you are) is a bit of a classic eggcorn. I'm trying to train myself to deliberately read over such things and not let my grammar police side ruin the moment for me. The other toughie is that spellcheckers won't pickup most of the typical syntax errors because they don't test phrases for context, so "your" is just as valid as "you're" or "yaw" or "yore".

Perhaps if someone started a thread where people could every now and then post a common sort of eggcorn without making it personal, the hard-working contributors that put so much effort in writing teases might check things over from time to time, and nobody would need to blush over anything.
fearghas
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by fearghas »

oh gosh, I hadn't even thought about putting it into the tease editor, cause I never wrote a tease. But I agree, the bad spelling and grammar really ruin teases for me too. The your/you're one you mentioned is distracting as is there/their/they're, along with to/too/two. (I know a checker won't catch those because it's a syntax thing, but still) And I don't know why but I can not stand it when people spell definitely with an a in it.

But I'm getting myself off topic and into imagynation's idea of an eggcorn list which is great but probably wouldn't belong under suggestions. The topic is adding spellcheck to various Milo features.

Anybody see this as possible?
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."
- Marion Morrison
Theman444
Explorer
Explorer
I am a: Switch

Post by Theman444 »

As a "non-native English speaker"(English is my second language), I would also like to have spellcheck on Milovana.
It would help me to write without sounding like an idiot and would allow all to make teases with better grammar. Some teases are really awful, I'm not that good at English, but it hurts my eyes to see some really badly written teases.

However, I don't really see how they could implement a spellcheck. I mean, it probably would require a lot of tweaking to integrate it correctly. There is already a preview feature that allow us to see what we wrote before sending, which is not that bad, it helps with typo, but not with actual grammar.

Another thing that would be nice to take in consideration in this suggestion is that not every user speaks English. Some users of the site speak French, German, Spanish,etc.
Integrating a spellcheck would probably be awful if it can't be turned off for those who speak other languages, let's say in PM for example.

However, I think the team could probably find a way to make it happen by putting their time and energy into it. There might already be some code available somewhere that could be used instead of writing a spellchecker from scratch.

Theman444
fearghas
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by fearghas »

All good points, Man.

I agree, some program that tries to fix grammar and translation issues would probably be very complicated, though I don't know that for sure. Also, I know they have come a long way with them, but no program is perfect for these things as there is just too much syntaxt, context, symantics, homonyms, etc in the convoluted english language. Nothing replaces simple proof-reading, as you implied, which should always be done; whether it's a tease or a post, whatever.

While I'm sure something to help with that is possible, while difficult, I'm talking about as a minimum, just a tool for when I'm not sure how a word is spelled so I don't have to go type it into a search engine or another text editor or something.

Theman444 wrote: Another thing that would be nice to take in consideration in this suggestion is that not every user speaks English. Some users of the site speak French, German, Spanish,etc.
Integrating a spellcheck would probably be awful if it can't be turned off for those who speak other languages, let's say in PM for example.

Theman444
Agreed, I hate the always-on spell checkers that underline and highlight stuff while I'm typing, especially when I know it is right; like when I'm writing something technical, using slang or a nickname, etc. I can't imagine if I was working in an unfamiliar language. Most spell checkers are just a button on the side that says check spelling. When you think you are done writing, you hit it to see what is spelled incorrectly. If you never hit it, it never bothers you.

Is this possible? Is it a huge project?

@Theman444 does you username mean you're only two thirds evil? :-)
- Marion Morrison
kinkyswan
Explorer
Explorer

Post by kinkyswan »

I don't know if this will help, but....current Windows versions of Google Chrome, Safari, Firefox, and Opera web browsers each has a built-in spell checker which automatically checks spelling on web page forms. That means the spell checker can be used on Milovana forum posts and regular teases, but not on Flash teases.

Each spell checker is easily toggled on or off by right-clicking, and the spell checker can be set for different languages, again by right-clicking.

Here's a screen capture for Opera after I've right-clicked:

fearghas
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by fearghas »

Hey thanks kinkyswan, that will help me, I didn't know that. I am actually planning to instal chrome in the the next couple days so I'll have that.

thanks.
- Marion Morrison
subdude
Curious Newbie
Curious Newbie

Post by subdude »

Try tinySpell. it seems to work for me.
Theman444
Explorer
Explorer
I am a: Switch

Post by Theman444 »

That's the explanation I give to the 444, fearghas.
Two third evil :lol:

I didn't know about the spellchecker in web browsers, I'm going to give that a try.

Thank you for sharing the information.

Theman444
fearghas
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by fearghas »

@subdude I've never heard of that, but I'm sure I can search it up. Thanks for the tip.
Theman444 wrote:That's the explanation I give to the 444, fearghas.
Two third evil :lol:
HA! I knew it! Well, there you have it. I'm not the only one who's enough of a nerd to make that joke.
- Marion Morrison