First MistressV Test Release (Warning: Wall of Text)

A corner for forum games, chat games, discussion about games and even tournaments. Come in and play ... if you dare!
ManMadeDom
Explorer
Explorer

First MistressV Test Release (Warning: Wall of Text)

Post by ManMadeDom »

Hey guys so here's the deal. I've run into a bit of a technical problem making the game an executable, which would make it much easier for everyone to run. Unfortunately, the way that I wrote it combined with the amount of user customization wanted, is a bit beyond my programming capabilities right now. Note that this has no affect on the game itself, just the manner in which you will have to run it. The game is written in Java, which requires the Java JDK (Java Development Kit) in order to run and compile Java programs. It may sound complicated, but I promise it will take no longer than 5 minutes to do and I will provide step-by-step instructions on exactly what you need to do to run the game. Note that you will only need to do this once for each computer you'd like to run the game on. After that, you simply need to run one command from the terminal when you'd like to play. I realize that this is not the ideal way to distribute software, but this was a rather large project for me and I did the best I could. So for anyone who is still interested, these are the steps you will need to take to play the game.

One more quick note about the game itself. I wrote the "rules" screen prior to adding any of the customization, so it is probably no longer necessary and I might just end up removing it. I'll just leave it for now. The "Rewards" screen is only complete graphically. I need some ideas on what to include for each reward. The reward buttons will simply deduct a certain amount of tokens from the total. This is extremely simple to implement, but coming up with ideas has proven difficult. The rewards are not really something I would be able to make customizable, so I will have to do that when I have enough ideas. Aside from that, all you need to do is press play and the rest is automated. So here are the steps you will need to take if you would like to try it.

1. Download/Install the Java JDK from here http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... index.html
-Make sure you get the JDK, not the JRE. The JRE would only work if it was an executable (.jar) file.

2. This part is probably the trickiest, but it's honestly not difficult. In order to run java files from the command line, you need to update the path variable in your windows Environment Variables. In order to do this, you need to copy the full file path of the "bin" folder located in the JDK you just downloaded. The bin folder contains the java application which will run the program. If you do not perform this step correctly, the command terminal will tell you that it cannot find the command "java", which is used to run java programs. For example, the location of the bin folder on my computer would be "C:Program Files (x86)Javajdk1.7.0in". I'm on windows 7, but your file path should look very similar if not identical. Now all you have to do is copy the path into your environment variables.

3. To update your environment variables (on windows 7/vista), go to start>(view by category)System and Security>System>Advanced system settings>Advanced Tab>Environment Variables

4. Now you should see two different windows. Use the scroll bar in the bottom window and locate the variable "Path" (not PATHEXT). Double click anywhere on the same line as "Path" and a new window should appear. We are only changing the "Variable value" field. Delete anything that is currently in the field (this will not affect your computer in any way, don't worry) and replace it with path of the "bin" folder you recently copied. Again, it should look something like "C:Program Files (x86)Javajdk1.7.0in". Once that is done, all you have to do is hit OK and you can close all of the windows.

5. All that's left to do now is download/run the game. You can download it from mediafire here: http://www.mediafire.com/?q75oa7u4iljed3x

**Once you have completed the above steps, you will never have to repeat them to run the game from now on.**

Edit: I just realized I forgot to set the tokens to 0 when I uploaded the game files. Simply locate the data.txt file and change the value to 0. Sorry about that!

Edit 2: I must have lost my mind while typing this up and I deleted the random repeated text. No idea how that happened. (Sorry) The game download link is now actually there!

6. Open up a command terminal by typing "cmd" in the search bar of your start menu. If you have never accessed files through a command prompt before, here is a quick list of commands that you can execute:

cd : changes the current directory you are in. This is just the text-based equivalent of going into or exiting a folder. For example, if you are on the desktop and want to access your MistressV folder, you would simply type "cd MistressV". One cool shortcut you can use while browsing through files in command prompt is if you type a letter and press "tab", it will cycle through all files/folders beginning with that letter in the current directory.

cd.. : this command simply takes you back one step in the current directory. I.E. if you were in the MistressV folder, it would take you back to the desktop.

dir : this command just displays a list of all of the files/folders located in the current directory.

cls : just clears all of the text in the command prompt.

java [java file name goes here] : executes a java file.

7. Now that you know how to navigate in command prompt (if you didn't already) all you have to do is navigate to the location of your "MistressV" folder, and then into that folder. For example, say the MistressV folder is on my desktop on the C drive. By default, command prompt usually starts at the current user's directory, so I would just type "cd desktop", and it would take me to the desktop. Now I just type "cd MistressV" to open up the MistressV folder, which contains the program. Finally, type "java Game" which will run the program file that handles the execution of the game. The MistressV GUI should display and you are ready to play the game!

I know this seems like a lot of work to just play a simple game, but realistically it should only take 5-10 minutes not including download times. One other important note is your screen resolution should be set to 1920x1080 for best image re-sizing.

**How to customize the game**

There are several different text files in the MistressV folder that allow you to customize different aspects of the game.

activities.txt: This text file contains all of the different randomized activities. There are 15 lines of activities. If you go under 15 lines, the program will generate an error and you will not be able to play. Any text beyond 15 lines will simply not be included. This is because if you add any additional activities, you would have to re-write the section of code that determines the probability of each activity occurring. If you have any programming experience, by all means, have at it. If you desperately want to add more than 15 activities for some reason, PM me and I'll see what we can do. The first 5 lines of activities have a 10% chance of occurring, while the last 10 have a 5% chance. Note that the last 2 activities are designated "chance to cum" activities, and will display a slightly different dialog box after each image.

activityValues.txt: This text file contains the corresponding token value to each activity. The first line of the activities.txt file will be given the value of the first line of this file and so on.

data.txt: This text file is simply a way to save the number of tokens you have earned. Obviously, you could just change the value and cheat, but I don't know what the point of that would be. I feel it is important to note because if for some reason your tokens are lost or incorrect, you can always adjust them to their previous value.

imageDelay.txt: This text file contains the minimum and maximum amount of time (in seconds) that each image is displayed for (default 30-60s). Simply change the first value to the minimum amount of time you want an image to be displayed, and the second value to the maximum amount of time. A random duration between those two numbers will be generated for each image.

TL;DR : A very brief version of the above (unless you have experience with java you probably won't find this very useful)

1. Download/Install JDK: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... index.html
2. Replace "Path" windows environment variable with file path of "bin" folder of JDK
3. Game download: http://www.mediafire.com/?q75oa7u4iljed3x
4. Image folder path: C:Program Files (x86)GameImages
5. Screen Resolution: 1920x1080

I apologize for not having a better way for you guys to play my game, but it is the only way I know of to allow for the customization that everyone seems to want. Hopefully you are able to get it working (again, it's really not difficult). I hope you have some fun with it and please give me as much feedback as possible. I am eager to know what everyone thinks of it. It is still very much a work-in-progress and I hope to make a lot more improvements as time goes on. I desperately need ideas for rewards! If you have any questions don't hesitate to leave a comment or PM me, I'll do my best to help you out. Enjoy and have fun.
Last edited by ManMadeDom on Sat May 04, 2013 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sleepysub
Explorer
Explorer

Re: First MistressV Test Release (Warning: Wall of Text)

Post by sleepysub »

the mediafire link doesnt seem to work sadly :( is it working for anyone else?
ManMadeDom
Explorer
Explorer

Post by ManMadeDom »

sleepysub wrote:the mediafire link doesnt seem to work sadly :( is it working for anyone else?
I updated the link try now.
JonnyD
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual/Bi-Curious

Post by JonnyD »

I got the gui to work and the rules button works, but the rewards button does nothing and the play button sends me to a black screen. I see this in the cmd when I press play:
Spoiler: show
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
at playGame.slideshow(playGame.java:13)
at Game$1.actionPerformed(Game.java:50)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:20
18)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.jav
a:2341)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel
.java:402)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:259
)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(BasicButtonL
istener.java:252)
at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:6505)
at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3321)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:6270)
at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:2229)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4861)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2287)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4687)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4832
)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:4492)

at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:4422)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2273)
at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:2719)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:729)
at java.awt.EventQueue.access$200(EventQueue.java:103)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:688)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:686)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDo
main.java:76)
main.java:87)
at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:702)
at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:700)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:699)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThre
ad.java:242)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.
java:161)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThre
ad.java:150)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:146)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:138)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:91)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
at ImageReader.getImageNames(ImageReader.java:13)
at newActivity.<clinit>(newActivity.java:6)
... 38 more
Did I do something wrong?
Help those in need! Please seed!
sleepysub
Explorer
Explorer

Post by sleepysub »

Cool it worked now, gonna try the program :)
mmdead2002
Explorer
Explorer

Post by mmdead2002 »

This is really cool!

A tip: you can actually include a copy of the JRE with the distribution (just put it in some folder with all of your other folders and files; call it whatever you want). Then, you can include a .bat file (on PC's; use something else like a shell file on a Mac) that users click to run the game. The batch (.bat) file would probably be just one line:

jreFolder\\bin\\java.exe SOME_PATH_TO_CLASS_FILE\\CLASS_NAME

This will run the included java executable and pass it the directory/classname of the file to run. By including a copy of the JRE, it will be easier for people to install the game; you are then able to run it because you know the precise location of java.exe.

Also, you should only need the JRE to run the program, unless there is something extra weird going on here. The JDK is for developers, right? Am I missing something here?

Again, really cool and I hope that this comes off as "trying to help" and not "who is the asshole?".
AllanM
Explorer
Explorer
Sexual Orientation: Straight
I am a: None of the above
Dom/me(s): None.
Sub/Slave(s): None.

Post by AllanM »

I have the exact same issue.

GUI is loading, the rules Button takes me to the rules text (can't read it all because resolution is off). The 'Rewards' button takes me to more Buttons (none of these work either). The 'Play' Button goes gray when you click it, but nothing happens.

JonnyD wrote:I got the gui to work and the rules button works, but the rewards button does nothing and the play button sends me to a black screen. I see this in the cmd when I press play:
18)
)
)

... 38 more
anon
Curious Newbie
Curious Newbie

Post by anon »

Some technical hints:

-You should use relative paths like "Images/" instead of "C:/foo/bar" in ImageReader so it will work on platforms other than windows.

-In order to wait you shouldn't loop until the time is up, as this uses quite some cpu ressources needlessly. better use Thread.sleep(timeInMillis) for that.
ManMadeDom
Explorer
Explorer

Post by ManMadeDom »

AllanM wrote:I have the exact same issue.

GUI is loading, the rules Button takes me to the rules text (can't read it all because resolution is off). The 'Rewards' button takes me to more Buttons (none of these work either). The 'Play' Button goes gray when you click it, but nothing happens.

JonnyD wrote:I got the gui to work and the rules button works, but the rewards button does nothing and the play button sends me to a black screen. I see this in the cmd when I press play:
18)
)
)

... 38 more
You pretty much have to use 1920x1080 resolution at this point, but that shouldn't have any effect on the buttons. JohnnyD actually said that he got it working, maybe you can try PM'ing him and asking how he fixed that. I'm not entirely sure what the cause is of that error. Did you edit any of the text files before you ran the game? Feel free to PM me and I'll see if I can help you out.
ManMadeDom
Explorer
Explorer

Post by ManMadeDom »

mmdead2002 wrote:This is really cool!

A tip: you can actually include a copy of the JRE with the distribution (just put it in some folder with all of your other folders and files; call it whatever you want). Then, you can include a .bat file (on PC's; use something else like a shell file on a Mac) that users click to run the game. The batch (.bat) file would probably be just one line:

jreFolder\\bin\\java.exe SOME_PATH_TO_CLASS_FILE\\CLASS_NAME

This will run the included java executable and pass it the directory/classname of the file to run. By including a copy of the JRE, it will be easier for people to install the game; you are then able to run it because you know the precise location of java.exe.

Also, you should only need the JRE to run the program, unless there is something extra weird going on here. The JDK is for developers, right? Am I missing something here?

Again, really cool and I hope that this comes off as "trying to help" and not "who is the asshole?".
I like the idea of including the JRE/JDK like that I'll have to look into it in the future. I was under the impression the JRE would only be able to run .jar files, not .java files. Perhaps that is only if you need to compile the program, I'm not entirely sure. I'm not an expert on Java or programming and I certainly don't claim to be, so any advice is greatly appreciated. I largely just taught myself what I needed to be able to do for the game from looking at snippets of code online and what not, as I've never programmed anything like this before. If you have any other suggestions don't hesitate to share, I'm welcome to criticism.
ManMadeDom
Explorer
Explorer

Post by ManMadeDom »

anon wrote:Some technical hints:

-You should use relative paths like "Images/" instead of "C:/foo/bar" in ImageReader so it will work on platforms other than windows.

-In order to wait you shouldn't loop until the time is up, as this uses quite some cpu ressources needlessly. better use Thread.sleep(timeInMillis) for that.
Thanks for the input, we're working on the relative paths (Another user has been nice enough to help me out with the programming). I actually originally tried to use the Thread.sleep method, but for some reason I couldn't get it to work properly. I think it has something to do with the fact that I'm trying to sleep from within an action listener (the play button).
SexualChoc
Chat Moderator
I am a: Switch

Post by SexualChoc »

will check it out
all2true
is my other profile. see my chastity belt link :
http://www.milovana.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16#p139016
anon
Curious Newbie
Curious Newbie

Post by anon »

ManMadeDom wrote: Thanks for the input, we're working on the relative paths (Another user has been nice enough to help me out with the programming). I actually originally tried to use the Thread.sleep method, but for some reason I couldn't get it to work properly. I think it has something to do with the fact that I'm trying to sleep from within an action listener (the play button).
I honestly dont know, as I almost never use Thread.sleep because often it halts the app completely. But I remember that I had some issues with letting threads wait.

When clicking through the app I saw some images stretched unproportionally. So I fiddled around a bit and came up with this for image resizing:

Code: Select all

double factor1 = (double)(Game.screenResY-100)/(double)imgY;double factor2 = (double)(Game.screenResX-100)/(double)imgX;int height = (int)(imgY*Math.min(factor1, factor2));int width = (int)(imgX*Math.min(factor1, factor2));g.drawImage(img, (Game.screenResX-width)/2, (Game.screenResY-height)/2,width,height, null); 
I hope it helps.

ps: I don't want to show off my programming skills or anything like that. This is just a quite interesting app and one of the few that run on my mac. :D
Ambossli
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Ambossli »

how can i change the screen resolution in the program, because i have an older screen and can't change the resolution to 1920x1080
ManMadeDom
Explorer
Explorer

Post by ManMadeDom »

Ambossli wrote:how can i change the screen resolution in the program, because i have an older screen and can't change the resolution to 1920x1080
It's not possible, sorry. You can still run it, but there will be some graphical issues.