Status Update

This is the place for all suggestions, releases and feedback regarding Milovana Hardware efforts.
nilcum
King of Hardware
King of Hardware
I am a: Switch

Status Update

Post by nilcum »

Hi, just wanted to post a quick status update.

Hardware:

I've purchased an Arduino board and have written some custom firmware for the ATMega168 microcontroller. Nothing too fancy. Here is what the serial output looks like:

Tantalus -- ready to begin
I received: 115
Setting device num: 1 level: On
I received: 115
Setting device num: 1 level: Off

That was the boot-up and me sending two commands ... s1l1 and s1l0. Set device 1 level to 1 and set device 1 level to 0. The firmware knows device 1 is a on / off type of device so any level not 0 is on.

In this case, it is an electromagnet hooked up through a relay that is powered from a separate 1.5v power source. It is going to cost about $5-$10 to build one of these.

Next on the agenda is to use a transistor and PWM to control the speed of a small vibrating motor. Should be able to do it with a NPN transistor, a diode, and maybe even a separate power source. Before I really dig into that one I'm going to bask in the electromagnet success for a bit and turn my attention to the software.

Software:
I'm not including the firmware in the software category. I have a C++ implementation of a webserver that I've hacked into a Windows service. I haven't tested it in service mode because debugging is a pain. So that is the next thing I plan to do. I'm also going to write the installer using NSIS. Should be pretty straight forward. Will likely have that done this week.

Then next thing to focus on is the plugin architecture and the serial / usb communications. After I get the service working in a comfortable state I'll post a first draft of a plugin standard and template for review here.

Anyway, that is where I am at today.
nilcum
King of Hardware
King of Hardware

Post by nilcum »

Here is another update

Hardware

Have things working through an NPN transistor now which is fine for low current circuits. I've been advised that darlington transistors provide much better gain for driving higher currents. Also, I've rethought the electromagnet idea. I like it because in the even of power failure on the computer on on the battery the keys automatically release. I don't like it because they draw A LOT of current and will quickly drain batteries and make it very hot if anything more than a 1.5v battery is used. Using a solenoid to release a key is better on the current but we would need a fail-safe design.

Software

Been coding so much at work lately that there isn't new development here. Seraph0x set us up with subversion hosting. The code will be public after I get around to uploading it. Again, it's in C/C++. Does anyone know of a good serial communications library?
les
Experimentor
Experimentor
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual/Bi-Curious
I am a: Dom (Male)
Sub/Slave(s): My serfs
All 2 True is head Serf

Arduino

Post by les »

Which board are you using?
Have you any Schematics of you prototype?
Post details please
remember milovana is global
I am from the uk
Arduino is italian I believe
Les
begging2Bteased
Curious Newbie
Curious Newbie

C++ serial comms library

Post by begging2Bteased »

Hi nilcum, and everyone

Visual Studio 2005 has new standard controls in VB and C++ (.net) for serial comms, and allows many parameters to be configured. I can look at these for you and let you have some info, if it's a help. USB is a different kettle of fish altogether, and it may be that the standard Windows USB drivers will work without any other code. If not, Microsoft do offer a WDK (Windows Drive Kit), which is free to download. The down side of this is that the file is about 2.3GB (not MB!!).

I had thought about controlling electromagnets, and was thinking along the lines of electromagnetic cuffs (power loss = fail to safe). As electromagnets (normally) work off AC rather than DC, triacs would probably be the way to go?

:-D
nilcum wrote:Here is another update

Hardware

Have things working through an NPN transistor now which is fine for low current circuits. I've been advised that darlington transistors provide much better gain for driving higher currents. Also, I've rethought the electromagnet idea. I like it because in the even of power failure on the computer on on the battery the keys automatically release. I don't like it because they draw A LOT of current and will quickly drain batteries and make it very hot if anything more than a 1.5v battery is used. Using a solenoid to release a key is better on the current but we would need a fail-safe design.

Software

Been coding so much at work lately that there isn't new development here. Seraph0x set us up with subversion hosting. The code will be public after I get around to uploading it. Again, it's in C/C++. Does anyone know of a good serial communications library?
toolman2810
Explorer
Explorer

Post by toolman2810 »

Hi everyone,
I'd like to say congradulations to Nilcum & seraphox. You two have already done a huge amount of work on this project by yourselves. The programing is way over my head unfortunately but if there is anything else I can help with. I am kinda handy on CAD if we get to the stage where we need some drawings.
I'm in Australia by the way I don't know if that is too far away to be of assistance with manufacturing mechanical components. But I am more than happy to assist if required.
It seems like there is very little else I can help with until the electronics are developed.

Which seems to be happening very very quickly. Thanks again. I look forward to reading about the next update.

Cheers Toolman
toolman2810
Explorer
Explorer

types of devices

Post by toolman2810 »

Hi all,
was just wondering what type of devices we are talking about interfacing because Nilcum probably needs to think about this while he is busy programing. I can only think of four different catergories electrically, but I am sure there must be more.

1) key holder, for chasity & restraints. Low voltage On/Off comands possibley timer

2) I will put vibrators in a category by themselves based on some vibrators only require vibrating. Whilst some dildos only require linear motion. I know most do both, but I will keep them seperate at this point. On/off speed control

3) Dildo's/ Flesh lights, Linear motion, most likely controlled through mains voltage.

4) Electric shock, high voltage, low amps ac I presume

any others ?
curved
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by curved »

Thought I posted this before but seems lost in the ether...

An alternative to an electromagnet could be an equivalent of the magnetic base of a dial test indicator. You only need a single push or pull action to align or unalign the permanent magnets. Not sure what magnetic force you need? You can get a very strong clamping force from these as any mechanical engineer will tell you, especially for a flat key held against the face.

The only problem would be cost but there are many other advantages - heat, failsafe, lack of permanent power connection etc...
nilcum
King of Hardware
King of Hardware

Post by nilcum »

I've started a devices thread. There are basically 5 things I'd like to try to create over the next month. I'm going to focus on the programming aspect because that is where my strength is. For a hardware platform I like the Arduino board http://www.arduino.cc/ because of the low cost and open source support (plus I already have one). Let me know if you have different opinions. I think Seraph0x is looking into a native USB chip like the one used in Rez. I know that serial communications are a LOT easier to deal with from a programming point of view and I think that counts for a lot too. Anyway, read over that topic and if you feel so inclined put your name beside one of the devices. I know 1 month is an ambitious goal but I think with the kind of motivation and excitement I am seeing we should be able to hit it.
toolman2810
Explorer
Explorer

Havn't heard much for abit

Post by toolman2810 »

How is all this programing progressing ?
seraph0x
Administrator
Administrator

Post by seraph0x »

Haven't heard from nilcum in a while, guess he's taking a break. The code is up in the SVN repository at:

http://mv.openmoon.org/svn/tantalus/

So if you know some programming you can follow the progress there if you like.

Feel free to PM nilcum, in a volunteer project it's important that people keep each other motivated, otherwise the project will quickly become inactive.
toolman2810
Explorer
Explorer

Post by toolman2810 »

Hi seraphOx,
I had a quick look at
http://mv.openmoon.org/svn/tantalus/
& couldn't find anything. Even if I did it would be all gobley gook to me. Do you know if nilcum has logged onto Milovana recently ?
It would be a shame if this project died when we got off to such a positive start.
I will give him a pm though. I was working independantly on my little project. But then halted to see how the software was going to work.
Anyway will give him a quick message & go from there.

Cheers Toolman
nilcum
King of Hardware
King of Hardware

Post by nilcum »

Yep, I'm still here and still moving forward with the project. Haven't been posted an update for awhile. So, here it is. I just received some new hardware to play with!

Here is what is in the hardware setup so far:

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... ts_id=7914
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... cts_id=666
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... cts_id=758
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... cts_id=312

I've gotten very good at making a shocking device from a disposable camera. I plan to take some pictures on how to build this yourself. I've made some attempts to strip it down to just a few components but I don't really see that being worth the effort. All I can say is I had no idea such a shock could come from two little AA batteries! Wow.

I've also taken to doing prototype code in python.

For example, a random timed shock would be:

Code: Select all

import serial, time, random

ser = serial.Serial (4) # COM5
while 1:
  ser.write("s1l1")
  time.sleep(.1)
  ser.write("s1l0")
  time.sleep(random.random()*10)

This is quite a bit of fun to play with by itself.

On the list of new hardware is an accelerometer. This one supports SPI and so does the AVR microcontroller. I'm envisioning a stroking game where you have to keep your hand movements within a shifting range or else get a shock. Not sure how that would integrate into the flash tease system but I think it is a cool idea.

Anyway, here is what I think needs to happen for the project to continue to move forward. Someone needs to pick up the shell of C++ code for the client. I'm honestly more happy playing around with the hardware and prototype python code than I am writing C++. I know we have some programmers involved here the project should be online at the SVN server. Let me know if you need help setting that up.

Second, it sounds like toolman has been busy. I would LOVE to reproduce his machine in my lab (hehe) on using 110vAC.

Third, I'm going to change the microcontroller serial communications protocol to be a fixed width two byte instruction.

For example, if you want to turn on device 1 send: \x01\x01
device 2: \x02\x01
device 3 at maximum PWM: \x03\xFF

After I write the microcontroller code I will post it to SVN as well.

Finally, have I've had my fill of playing with the accelerometer, I am going to get a vibrating egg and control that through one of the PWM pins on the Arduino. Again, I will prototype to with python code.

Ok, I think that it about it.
les
Experimentor
Experimentor
All 2 True is head Serf

Post by les »

Nilcum
Shocks above the waist can be fatal.
NEVER EVER have a shock across the chest .
Eg from a hand to anywhere else.
les
Experimentor
Experimentor
All 2 True is head Serf

Post by les »

Electronic flash units and strobe lights, and pulsed lasers have large energy storage capacitors which alone can deliver a lethal charge - long after the power has been removed. This applies to some extent even to those little disposable pocket cameras with flash which look so innocent being powered from a single 1.5 V AA battery. Don't be fooled - they are designed without any bleeder so the flash can be ready for use without draining the battery!

http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~p616 ... rrent.html

Dr Xheng Hu of the School of Electrical and Information Engineering at the University of Sydney confirms that a 9V battery does not have enough voltage to kill a person by testing it on the tongue.

He adds: "It cannot be entirely excluded however. If a person is very ill, for example, has heart problems, or has a heart pacemaker that could be disrupted, and so on, they could possibly die from testing the battery in this way. But normally it wouldn't happen."
toolman2810
Explorer
Explorer

Genius at work

Post by toolman2810 »

So thats where Nilcum has been hiding for the last month, developing his pedometer & electric shocking device. He has the cheek to say “its been quite fun playing with it “. While we have been slaving away & waiting for his software platform. :}

I remember as a kid holding hands in a circle while the museum curator wound up a van der graaff generator from an old telephone & zapped all of us.

I think the concept is brilliant for a tease. You will do this, I can measure your strokes & speed & if you don’t do it right. You will be zapped !!!.

I have said before that I am mechanical minded & electrically challenged. But I did find this on the ether of the net.

Van de Graaff SPEWS CHARGED WIND which wanders around charging up EVERYTHING in the room, including the walls, ceilings, people, etc. The fans on your PC will suck the charged air into the case, where it will electrify all non-metal surfaces, cause huge electrostatic fields and sudden sparks, and generally trash circuitry left and right.

I know you guys all know this, I just find it funny imagining strapping a young lady into my puter chair, putting an earth strap around her ankle & plugging it into mains.

I am not being sarcastic in any way. I think it is a brilliant idea. Its all coming together, Just the image in my mind of a sexy woman trying this tease thing & I plug her into the earth on mains power is funny :} I can imagine her saying “ & where does that cord go” & me saying “into the PowerPoint”.