Tease AI General Discussion

Webteases are great, but what if you're in the mood for a slightly more immersive experience? Chat about Tease AI and other offline tease software.

Moderator: 1885

pepsifreak
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Straight

Re: Tease AI Open Beta

Post by pepsifreak »

PtheV wrote:
OxiKlein wrote: Edit: It may actually be that you have something like @RapidTextOff after the @InputVar[] Command. I just noticed that it counts the @RapidTextOff (and possibly other commands) as part of the variable name. I'll add that to the list of bugs to fix, but for now it should work if you don't have another command come immediately after @InputVar[]
It works without the @RapidtextOff, thanks! :-)
I still get this icon on the line with the @InputVar command though :unsure:
1.jpg
You can hide that with the "Show Icon During Input Questions" setting. The program looks for a non-existant "input.png" in \Images\System.
PtheV
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by PtheV »

pepsifreak wrote: You can hide that with the "Show Icon During Input Questions" setting. The program looks for a non-existant "input.png" in \Images\System.
Never noticed that before... :whistle: Thanks!
pv
Mat
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Mat »

PtheV wrote:
pepsifreak wrote: You can hide that with the "Show Icon During Input Questions" setting. The program looks for a non-existant "input.png" in \Images\System.
Never noticed that before... :whistle: Thanks!
I can't remember whether it was me or somebody else that suggested there should be a way to tell when there was an @InputVar[], the problem was that if the domme asked what your favourite band was and you replied "I'm not sure" then the domme would later reference your favourite band "I'm not sure" as there isn't any additional checking..
Then with the re-write, Java is ahead of C# in the strawpoll by 2 points, but according to the titanpad I'm the only one that can code in Java.. How many of the guys on the titanpad would learn Java for it? I don't think it'd take me that long to learn C# so it might be easier to just use that.. with mono for cross platform compatibility..

Strawpoll:
https://strawpoll.me/6616846

TitanPad:
https://titanpad.com/mYlpxXE45a
Sisyphuster
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Sisyphuster »

For the purposes of the straw poll, I feel I should represent myself and the rest of us Mac users. Which of the proposed programming languages most allows OSX support? SO PSYCHED PEOPLE ARE BACK WORKING ON THIS!
Mat
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Mat »

Sisyphuster wrote:For the purposes of the straw poll, I feel I should represent myself and the rest of us Mac users. Which of the proposed programming languages most allows OSX support? SO PSYCHED PEOPLE ARE BACK WORKING ON THIS!
Well Java would be easiest in my opinion, then you'd just need Java and VLC, but a lot of people would prefer C#, which usually isn't cross platform but you can use mono instead of .Net, the problem is that everyone developing it then has to make sure the libraries they use are from mono not .Net and considering hardly any of the votes are for C# using mono, I'm not sure how that'll work..

Despite the awful interface design, I still feel Java would be best, but as I mentioned, most of the coders really only know C#
q55x8x
Explorer
Explorer
Sexual Orientation: Open to new ideas!
I am a: Switch

Post by q55x8x »

I do in fact have some Java knowledge and would be able to learn everything i need to quite fast as a lot of things are very similar to c#. So for the sake of cross platform I would be with you guys to rewrite TAI in java.

EDIT: 1 problem still would remain. Most search algorithms I used in my TAI personality creator rely heavily on C#.Net 4.6 exclusive multitasking features (thats why they are able to search through 10k+ files in under 1/10 of a second). So maybe a Java version of it if I would implement it might lack some features or run a lot slower.
Mat
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Mat »

q55x8x wrote:I do in fact have some Java knowledge and would be able to learn everything i need to quite fast as a lot of things are very similar to c#. So for the sake of cross platform I would be with you guys to rewrite TAI in java.

EDIT: 1 problem still would remain. Most search algorithms I used in my TAI personality creator rely heavily on C#.Net 4.6 exclusive multitasking features (thats why they are able to search through 10k+ files in under 1/10 of a second). So maybe a Java version of it if I would implement it might lack some features or run a lot slower.
That's good to hear, although it's just tipped in favour of C#, do you think you'd be able to have the same features using mono instead of .Net? I've never used mono before so I've got no idea how easy it is to setup, and then no idea how to get it working on Linux/Mac
q55x8x
Explorer
Explorer

Post by q55x8x »

For Linux its kinda easy to set up but GUI controls are blehh (one thing where microsoft actually got it right).

Regarding parallel features they are implemented in Mono but seem to be a lot slower (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5170 ... on-on-mono)

Although this is from 2011 so it might changed. I could dig out my lab PC which runs a kbuntu with mono on it and do a more up to date comparision If your decision comes down to this point.
Mat
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Mat »

q55x8x wrote:For Linux its kinda easy to set up but GUI controls are blehh (one thing where microsoft actually got it right).

Regarding parallel features they are implemented in Mono but seem to be a lot slower (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5170 ... on-on-mono)

Although this is from 2011 so it might changed. I could dig out my lab PC which runs a kbuntu with mono on it and do a more up to date comparision If your decision comes down to this point.
Well there's been 60 votes on the strawpoll, with C# in the lead, however I'm pretty sure there won't be 60 developers working on Tease AI.. Having said that I think the result would be pretty similar.

was thinking of counting C# and C# with mono as the same, as once you set up the libraries it should work fine, but it's been that close between the two, pretty much 50/50, It's not made it any easier to deicide on which to use..

What do you reckon we should do? I've been in favour of Java as cross platform will be easier, but the poll says C#, with hardly anyone voting to use it with mono..
q55x8x
Explorer
Explorer

Post by q55x8x »

Well I can't tell from much experience but library compability on mono is a bit of a concern I have too. And it is a potential risk of getting stuck somewhere just because the library that would suit our demands just doesn't compiles with mono. That definitely should count as a strong argument for java. So I would tend go with with Java just because of the more concept proven platform.
Notay
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Notay »

On the straw-poll, I voted C# because for me, it does not matter much whether supporting Mono or not.
Java is simpler to do cross-platform. C# is not hard, basically you develop it like you would on windows. When you want to release, you build in release mode, give out the .exe and other files. Linux and Mac users will more than likely have to install Mono. (not windows users.)

You do have to be careful when you use dllimport, just like you do for Java's Runtime.getRuntime().load(), that's why the current Tease AI does not work on Mac/Linux. WMPLib.dll is Windows Only, there is also issues with how Tease AI loads paths, sense Mac/Linux path names are case sensitive.

Here is a few pages if people want to read up on Mono and .Net Mono Compatibility, Mono Application Portability
q55x8x wrote:Well I can't tell from much experience but library compability on mono is a bit of a concern I have too.
Mono Application Portability states: "The binaries produced by Visual Studio are binary compatible with Mono", so as long as you use managed(.Net) libraries you should be fine. Just don't use C\C++ libraries.

The speed on Mono should not be a issue, sense Tease AI will not be resource intensive if designed and coded properly.

But really, one should just be picked and used. They are both good languages, both have pros and cons, if we weighed the pros and cons it would likely change within a year anyways.
meaculpa_uk
Explorer
Explorer

Post by meaculpa_uk »

Hello again folks,

I think this is in real danger of stalling or becoming too disparate with ideas and mods and scripts going in different directions. Personally I can't code so I know that my input is kinda worthless, but I'd strongly urge that Notay be given the lead on this and a github as well as a new forum post be started to organise the rebuilding of this project. It has so much potential but desperately needs a project manager to coordinate and consolidate progress into tidy, progressive updates.

Mea :-)
q55x8x
Explorer
Explorer

Post by q55x8x »

Notay wrote:Here is a few pages if people want to read up on Mono and .Net Mono Compatibility, Mono Application Portability
(...)
Mono Application Portability states: "The binaries produced by Visual Studio are binary compatible with Mono", so as long as you use managed(.Net) libraries you should be fine. Just don't use C\C++ libraries.
Also your links were quite interesting to read and seems to look like compability won't be going to be an issue. So looking at the strawpoll results Notay now successfully changed my mind back to c# with mono.
meaculpa_uk wrote:Hello again folks,

I think this is in real danger of stalling or becoming too disparate with ideas and mods and scripts going in different directions. Personally I can't code so I know that my input is kinda worthless, but I'd strongly urge that Notay be given the lead on this and a github as well as a new forum post be started to organise the rebuilding of this project. It has so much potential but desperately needs a project manager to coordinate and consolidate progress into tidy, progressive updates.

Mea :-)
I definitely agree here that we need someone with the time and passion again to sort of manage the upcoming things. I would definitely give try but the thing I'm lacking is time as exam period is now coming up. The only problem here is how to decide who and also do it quickly to not make stalling worse. The only thing coming to my mind would be to collect a list of volunteers (e.g. in the TitanPad) and then make a vote.
Mat
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Mat »

OK so C# it is :-)

Before we say who's going to manage it we should agree on what we'll actually be doing, are we just re-writing Tease AI and making it easier to develop and add features, or are we overhauling the scripting as well..

I don't want to leave it too long, but there's still quite a bit to discuss, and over a forum when we're all online at different times.

Also is there a repository system that anyone can edit, I'd rather not set goals and targets, I get the feeling that nobody really knows how much they can work on it, so it'd be nice to be able to set up a repository anyone can edit, then we can add to it when we have time, without needing to rely on somebody having to accept pull requests etc.
Notay
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Notay »

My incomplete thoughts on rewrite vs overhaul.
Rewrite:
* Quicker initial releases.
* Less strain on design decisions.
* Easy backwards compatibility with current scripts.
Overhaul:
* Quicker to add to, once foundation is finished.
* Better performance.
* Easier to teach new people to write scripts.

Both GitHub and Bitbucket support adding people to a repository. I don't think we would want a public write repository.