[Tutorial] Building your own DIY E-Stim Stereo Device

This is the place for all suggestions, releases and feedback regarding Milovana Hardware efforts.
Dolgian
Explorer
Explorer

Re: [Tutorial] Building your own DIY E-Stim Stereo Device

Post by Dolgian »

For the electrodes, Yes I used a single channel (right channel), with one around the corona (R+) and the other near the base forward of the balls (R-), But i didn't cover the top half of the electrode. I will definitely cover it next time. Not sure if it matters, but I'm not circumcised, so the electrode was sitting on my foreskin.
I recommend using pads, I started like you with loops, but you must lube them every 15 mins or so, or else they tend to eat up and get unconfortable. I am also not sircumcised, dont put the trode over your foreskin, it will not be pleasant.
for real, just buy a bunch of pads, change them every month, I can go for 1-2h sessions without any heating problems.
Also, get a plug, maybe you are not confortable getting something in there, but it is really the best thing youll ever feel.
good luck!
darthjj
Explorer
Explorer

Post by darthjj »

wmounted wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:10 am I'm using a transformer from Parts Express, and I noticed it has the 70V 0.62W tap on the same side where the amplifier connects. Can you confirm if this is correct?
Here's the link to the transformer:
https://www.parts-express.com/70V-10W-L ... quantity=1

Additionally, I measured the 3.9 ohm resistors with a cheap multimeter, and they're reading around 4.7 ohms. Should I be concerned about this ?

Lastly, I'd appreciate some recommendations for audio files to help me get started. :love:
I have a different line audio transformer, but I would assume you can trust the labelling on it. Which taps have you connected to the electrodes now?

Mine is secondary COM + 8 Ohm on the amplifier side, and primary COM + 1.25W on the electrode side. As for general troubleshooting, it looks like you might have a DIY volume control on the box? Double check that it is working as intended after you have checked the transformer wirings.

As for signals, get a software signal generator and set it to 1000Hz sine wave.

Unfortunately I can't check now, but I have a vague memory of measuring around 100V on the electrode outputs with a voltmeter set to AC mode. I.e for the open circuit, Though it drops significantly when the electrodes are connected to a human body.

I think I also measured AC current to around 10mA when it was hooked up. I wouldn't try measuring current without also having a body in the loop, since otherwise you're more or less short-circuiting the box. It'll probably survive that, at least for a shorter time, but I wouldn't risk it.
wmounted
Explorer
Explorer

Post by wmounted »

darthjj wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:16 am I have a different line audio transformer, but I would assume you can trust the labelling on it. Which taps have you connected to the electrodes now?
The amp is connected to COM and 8 Ohm on the secondary side, and the electrodes are connected to COM and 70V 0.62W on the primary side. (The 70V 0.62 tap is physically on the same as the secondary COM and 8 Ohm. You can see it in the following images.)
Spoiler: show
300-040_HR_0.default.jpg
300-040_HR_0.default.jpg (88.47 KiB) Viewed 1410 times
300-040_ALT_0.jpg
300-040_ALT_0.jpg (78.84 KiB) Viewed 1410 times
darthjj wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:16 am Mine is secondary COM + 8 Ohm on the amplifier side, and primary COM + 1.25W on the electrode side. As for general troubleshooting, it looks like you might have a DIY volume control on the box? Double check that it is working as intended after you have checked the transformer wirings.
The 10K ohms potentiometers for the volume control are working fine. I checked them with a multimeter and also after attaching electrodes to my body.

How do I check the transformer wiring with a multimeter to make sure they are working properly?
darthjj wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:16 am As for signals, get a software signal generator and set it to 1000Hz sine wave.
What software do you use ?
darthjj wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:16 am Unfortunately I can't check now, but I have a vague memory of measuring around 100V on the electrode outputs with a voltmeter set to AC mode. I.e for the open circuit, Though it drops significantly when the electrodes are connected to a human body.
I measured the electrode output voltage with a multimeter while an estim file is playing. The voltage fluctuated between ~60V and 1500V. As far as I understand, voltages of estim frequencies can't be accurately measured with a multimeter. The datasheet of the multimeter says: Frequency response: 45-400Hz (not sure if it can measure the voltage accurately even within this range when frequency consistently changes).
darthjj wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:16 am I think I also measured AC current to around 10mA when it was hooked up. I wouldn't try measuring current without also having a body in the loop, since otherwise you're more or less short-circuiting the box. It'll probably survive that, at least for a shorter time, but I wouldn't risk it.
How did you measure the current? Is it by connecting the multimeter in series with one of the electrodes?

Thank you for the detailed response!
wmounted
Explorer
Explorer

Post by wmounted »

Electro wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:40 am Spectra360 is a product designed for ECG, TENS, and electrical monitoring. It's not approved for defibrillator use, but otherwise it sounds similar. I venture a guess that it's similar enough. I know E-Stim Systems also sells an electrogel, they are based in UK, so depends on if shipping costs are reasonable to where you live if that's feasible to try.
Thank you so much for your reply! Your insights and suggestions have been incredibly helpful!

Unfortunately, the shipping costs for both of those products were too high for me. So, I went ahead and ordered the ECG supergel from a local store instead. Hoping it works out well.
Electro wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:40 am Can't speak to the foreskin part, maybe someone else can speak to whether or not being over or under where the foreskin is normally feels better when starting out. Perhaps try one and then the other with low intensity to see if one feels better than the other for you.

I don't know about try me and I can't remember which file Dr Orgasm plagiarized without credit and renamed to be alien genital abduction.
For those two Fallen Angel files, I believe the left channel would be the best channel for the penis, at least I know for Duality the right channel was intended to be for an anal electrode.

yes, it's intended for the left channel to be the penis electrode. Ignore the "turn it as high as you can go" suggestion, set it so it's comfortable and if in the first few minutes in it feels uncomfortable, turn it down just enough until it is comfortable. If you click "skip ahead", you can click Rachel. Otherwise the same stim files are in Stimaddicts archive under a folder called tintin119, it has files labeled things like "masturbating" and "brunette" because those were the internal filenames of the description of the specific options. I don't remember which is which exactly, but I think the painful ones are named in an obvious way, something like cop, pain, or whip are the ones to skip.

Should be fine as long as you aren't seeing any blisters or other signs of a skin burn from bad conductivity or "hot spots", it's not uncommon to feel a little numb for a short while after stimming, usually goes away after a few hours unless stimming very intensely and/or the electrode placement wasn't great or things got a little too loose or dry.
I gave it another go with the webtease you suggested. and I have to say, this time it felt amazing. Starting with Rachel, and then automatically transitioning to Brooke, the experience was even better. The last part of Brooke almost made me cum, i wish if it had lasted 10 more seconds.

Then i was interrupted by someone rigging the door bell, but i'm glad they did. Because I noticed some tingling under the tip of my penis afterward. Initially, I thought it might have been due to numbness in that area, so I decided to take a shower to see if it would help. Even after 10 minutes, the tingling persisted, so I took a closer look and noticed bunch of very tiny dots or bubbles on the underside of the tip of my foreskin (only noticeable when retracted). I believe they may be blisters (although I've never had any before, so I'm not entirely sure). The skin texture in that area also look a little bit different. The tingling went away after 20 minutes or so. but almost 24 hours later, the tiny dots or bubbles are still there. Will they go away on their own? They're hardly visible, and I only noticed them because I inspected very closely.

Also, I'm pretty sure that area of my foreskin wasn't even in direct contact with the electrode. I just put electrode behind the corona and didn't retract the foreskin. But I have to completely retract the foreskin to see the damage, So it is the inside fold of the foreskin.
diglet
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by diglet »

This signal generator is simple: https://electron.estim-emporium.net/. You can also try my software https://github.com/diglet48/restim, more complicated but the signals are more power efficiency and may cause less numbing and irritation.

Did you apply lube in that area? Not all 'normal' lubes are suitable for estim use. Some are chemically unstable and break down into harmful components when a voltage is applied. This can also happen with normal table salt, I've read one report where E535 (anticaking agent often used in table salt) broke down into nasty chemicals.

Since you already ordered some ECG gel, wait until it comes in and try again with that stuff?
wmounted
Explorer
Explorer

Post by wmounted »

Dolgian wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:11 pm I recommend using pads, I started like you with loops, but you must lube them every 15 mins or so, or else they tend to eat up and get unconfortable. I am also not sircumcised, dont put the trode over your foreskin, it will not be pleasant.
for real, just buy a bunch of pads, change them every month, I can go for 1-2h sessions without any heating problems.
Also, get a plug, maybe you are not confortable getting something in there, but it is really the best thing youll ever feel.
good luck!
Thanks! I appreciate your reply!

Yeah, I wish I had started with pads. I never had a heating issue with silicone rings, but in my last session, I got a bunch of tiny blisters under my foreskin. I didn't feel any pain during the session, I only noticed them afterward. Could it be because of bad conductivity?

They're not painful or anything, but I won't be estiming until they are fully healed.

I had rings over my foreskin, and it wasn't painful or anything, in fact, it was quite pleasant. The only problem is I got blisters. Now I'm scared to put electrodes directly behind the glans, what if I get blisters on my glans? That would suck.

Also, I just ordered some pads from Aliexpress.
diglet wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:55 pm This signal generator is simple: https://electron.estim-emporium.net/. You can also try my software https://github.com/diglet48/restim, more complicated but the signals are more power efficiency and may cause less numbing and irritation.

Did you apply lube in that area? Not all 'normal' lubes are suitable for estim use. Some are chemically unstable and break down into harmful components when a voltage is applied. This can also happen with normal table salt, I've read one report where E535 (anticaking agent often used in table salt) broke down into nasty chemicals.

Since you already ordered some ECG gel, wait until it comes in and try again with that stuff?
Thank you! I'll give both tools a try next time.

Yeah, I'm definitely waiting for the ECG gel before touching that estim box again.

Yes, it's likely that the lube reached that area. I used Durex tingle lube with a bit of salt. The thought of them breaking down into harmful chemicals had crossed my mind, but I was too horny to let that stop me from estiming. Horny won!
darthjj
Explorer
Explorer

Post by darthjj »

wmounted wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:46 am What software do you use ?

I measured the electrode output voltage with a multimeter while an estim file is playing. The voltage fluctuated between ~60V and 1500V. As far as I understand, voltages of estim frequencies can't be accurately measured with a multimeter. The datasheet of the multimeter says: Frequency response: 45-400Hz (not sure if it can measure the voltage accurately even within this range when frequency consistently changes).

How did you measure the current? Is it by connecting the multimeter in series with one of the electrodes?
Sounds like you've made some progress, but just to answer your questions;

For testing or debugging, I usually use this tone generator: https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/

The voltmeter I have shows a stable value for higher frequencies when set to AC mode, and from reading online I believe the displayed number can be a little bit off when used with other frequencies than 50-60Hz but still close enough to get a rough measurement. Might be different for different devices.

I measured both voltage (though peak-to-peak) and current using an old analogue oscilloscope. For the latter I put a low ohm resistor with a heatsink into the loop and measured the voltage drop over it, since my oscilloscope can't measure current directly.

In your other comment you wrote that you got blisters when using some loops, right? Was this with conductive rubber (CR)? Common CR contains nickel particles, so it could be an allergic reaction if you're sensitive to Ni. There's also CR with carbon particles, but it has much lower conductivity. And there's CR with silver or gold particles, but that makes it much more expensive instead.
darthjj
Explorer
Explorer

Post by darthjj »

diglet wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:11 am
JakofClubs wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:49 pm
edger477 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:10 pm

Actually, I did not research myself, I suspected that the reason for them might have been that older amps did not pump current until they detect some minimum load, and asked about it in Joanne's discord (there are some very good electronics engineers there). On modern amps, especially with a transformer that has static resistance (when you measure with Ohmmeter) that is 4 or 8 Ohms (the side we connect to amp), these parallel resistors are just waste of power, and also source of unnecessary heat.
My mistake. Perhaps it was Diglet that did the testing?
I did some testing with a tpa3116 clone, scope and parallel resistor, was not able to identify any useful effects.

Tests available here: https://github.com/diglet48/restim/wiki ... l-resistor
I just found those pages on your wiki, and it completely overthrows my leading theory of why some people were perceiving carrier frequency changes as changes in signal intensity while others weren't. Well, back to the drawing board.. Appreciate the thorough testing!
diglet
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by diglet »

darthjj wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:02 am
I just found those pages on your wiki, and it completely overthrows my leading theory of why some people were perceiving carrier frequency changes as changes in signal intensity while others weren't. Well, back to the drawing board.. Appreciate the thorough testing!
FWIW my theory is that this is caused by a relationship between skin resistance and frequency. Suppose we have skin resistance 500ohm at 500hz and 200ohm at 1000hz, then increasing the frequency causes a (more than double) increase in current.

But the box also has internal resistance, which may be 100ohm or 500ohm, also affected by the winding ratio, presence of parallel resistor, and electrode quality. The lower the internal resistance of your stimbox, the more the current increases as the frequency increases (due to lower skin resistance).

The tests I linked earlier show that the internal resistance of the box is mostly independent of frequency

I investigated the dependency between skin resistance and frequency here: https://github.com/diglet48/restim/wiki/skin-resistance
And the dependency between current, frequency and nerve activation here: https://github.com/diglet48/restim/wiki ... activation
darthjj
Explorer
Explorer

Post by darthjj »

diglet wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:34 pm
darthjj wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:02 am
FWIW my theory is that this is caused by a relationship between skin resistance and frequency. Suppose we have skin resistance 500ohm at 500hz and 200ohm at 1000hz, then increasing the frequency causes a (more than double) increase in current.

But the box also has internal resistance, which may be 100ohm or 500ohm, also affected by the winding ratio, presence of parallel resistor, and electrode quality. The lower the internal resistance of your stimbox, the more the current increases as the frequency increases (due to lower skin resistance).

The tests I linked earlier show that the internal resistance of the box is mostly independent of frequency

I investigated the dependency between skin resistance and frequency here: https://github.com/diglet48/restim/wiki/skin-resistance
And the dependency between current, frequency and nerve activation here: https://github.com/diglet48/restim/wiki ... activation
I also brought out the old, almost antique, oscilloscope today and ran a bunch of tests. It's analogue so there's of course a fair bit of measurement error everywhere. And I had to add a 100Ohm resistor in series with the body since I don't own a proper current probe, I hope this didn't influence the measurements. The currents I measured were a bit higher than I had expected, but I think I got the maths right..

I could confirm that the parallel resistor doesn't change how frequency translates to perceived intensity, by trying to locate subjective levels (minimum noticeable power, light tease, pleasure, intense pleasure, and pain) and then comparing the current logged at each point. Accounting for the subjective error margin, values were more or less identical with and without the parallel resistor.

One thing that surprised me a little was how much more current was needed for each "level" after having gone all the way up to where it starts getting painful. When starting at 0 and slowly increasing power, I found the (light tease, pleasure, intense pleasure) currents at (32.5mA, 40mA and 50mA) and finally hitting the pain threshold at 80mA. Staying there only a few seconds before performing the reverse process, I now found the same levels at (50mA, 65mA and 75mA), and it seemed the tolerance remained as long as any signal was present. After I rested for 30 seconds with no signal the sensitivity was almost fully restored. Obviously I was aware of this effect, but I didn't expect the differences to be so large and that it built up so quickly.

With a little bit of "warm up", I've found these approximate relations between current and subjective intensity at 1000Hz:
  • 20-30mA just barely noticeable
  • 30-40mA light tease
  • 40-50mA pleasure
  • 50-80mA intense pleasure
  • 80mA+ pain
Perhaps not useful for anything but I found it a little interesting that the range for what I would label as intense pleasure was so wide compared to the others. Though I suppose that's a question about definitions..

I also calculated body resistance by measuring current and voltage drop over the electrodes at the same time. Used a stainless steel head 'trode, approx 20cm², with electrode gel and a wet cloth loop around the balls, approx 15cm², I think I got similar values to yours though a little lower, perhaps due to the larger contact areas. With 1000Hz I got 740Ohm at 20mA, 643Ohm at 40mA, 594Ohm at 60mA and 507Ohm at 80mA.

Now here's the interesting thing, I did not get significantly different resistances at different frequencies. I set the current to 60mA, the signal generator to 1000Hz and measured 32V over the electrodes. Then I increased the frequency to 1500Hz, the current stayed the same and the voltage dropped down to 30V. I increased the freq. to 2000Hz and I could see that it dropped another 2V, but not to 28V.. it looked more like 30V.. almost 31, which confused me a lot. So I turned frequency down instead, and I could see the voltage jumping up each time, but somehow the voltage always stayed in the 30-34V range. Looking more closely at the 'scope, it seemed like the voltage always crept back towards around 32V peak-to-peak regardless of frequency, though very slowly, on the scale of tens of seconds. Wish I had a better oscilloscope so I could provide definite numbers instead of having to eyeball it.

Going back to my subjective intensity measurements, I tried to find each "level" for 700, 1000 and 1500Hz. It seemed like each freq. increase required an additional 5mA to reach the same level, i.e. "mild tease" hit at 32.5mA at 700Hz, 37.5mA at 1000, and 42.5 at 1500. It also seemed fairly consistent at all levels. Though it's hard to say how accurate this is accounting for subjectivity, measuring error and tolerance buildup.
diglet
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by diglet »

All of that matches my experience. With some warmup I reliably cum at 70-85mA 700hz at the head. Pain tolerance is much lower for butt area, I give up at around 33mA 700hz continuous, or 48mA with a slow on-off signal.

I also noticed testing skin resistance at different frequencies is quite difficult. I had most success with a current controlled setup, using volume dial and scope to manually control the current between signals. There are many nonlinearities involved, I even discovered some drift over time due to the electrogel 'settling in'. I also noticed significant differences between electrode materials.
darthjj
Explorer
Explorer

Post by darthjj »

Not sure if I've mentioned it before but I did a lot of experiments with pulsed signals a few years ago and found that there was no significant difference between a pulse followed by a "silent" period and a continuous pulse train (or sine wave etc). I think this is similar to what you're doing with pulse mode in restim? I haven't had time to look into the code much

Based on this I tried to find some algorithm to measure signal intensity, since the avereage amplitude/integral or RMS doesn't take frequency into account. I came up with an algoritm with finds the largest pulse within a small time period, and then plotted those ticks. I thought it was fairly accurate, but now I'm trying to recreate the results and I think it weights low freq signals too heavily.

I kind of suspect that I might have got less "signal sensitive" with the years. In the beginning I thought going down a few 100hz made the signal almost painful but now it barely feels like an intensity increase. That might've contributed to that I thought my old box, without parallel resistors was different
diglet
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by diglet »

Pulse based mode generates signals like this:

Ignoring repetitive stimulus, the signal intensity is defined by the integral of delivered charge over a small time period. The wiki has the exact equations, it is not quite linear, if you simply calculate the charge per pulse you will over-estimate the intensity of low-frequency signals.

The impact of repetitive stimulus is quite small. One source states that If you stimulate for 3 carrier cycles instead of just one you'll generate 'only' 10% more nerve activation. Haven't been able to find the exact equations... but it's pretty clear continuous signals are not what you want.
FuFuFan69
Curious Newbie
Curious Newbie

Post by FuFuFan69 »

Building my own box based on the schematic on page 12. I found a card that has jackstick and bluetooth connections. It seemed decent. Issue is, I just realized the pots go on the input side of things rather than the output, and that's not possible unless I desolder the jackstick and somehow add them between there, that also doesn't work with the bluetooth side that I thought would be less of a hassle to use.

Would it be problematic if I put the pots between the transformer output and the banana plugs?

I also bought the original XH-M543(rather than one of the copies that seem to be everywhere) - But I'd much prefer the other card because of the bluetooth.
diglet
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by diglet »

FuFuFan69 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:18 pm Would it be problematic if I put the pots between the transformer output and the banana plugs?
Yes. This will fry the pots immediately.