[RELEASE][FEEDBACK]Hero Corruption v1.40b

All about the past, current and future webteases and the art of webteasing in general.
---
diogaoo
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Re: [RELEASE][FEEDBACK]Hero Corruption v1.40b

Post by diogaoo »

Errant_ wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:35 am Regarding the meta, I think there is one major thing that I may have forgotten to mention in the past, and is a big deal in how the game plays out: the shop scaling the cost of green/orange potions with your max hp/lust. I feel like this is an unconventional design choice, and it results in weird/bad incentives. Basically it becomes in your best interest (gold/time optimal) to hoard all of your red/purple potions until you have 100-200 gold, stock up on all the green/orange potions you will need for the castle, and then pop all of the red/purple in your reserve.
Yeah, and to be honest, I am also guilty of doing this.
I don't think it's a big deal, but at the same time, I don't really like it... It feels... Unnatural?
Maybe if prices gradually increased with the passing of days it would be a better solution? :unsure:
Support my work on Patreon
Download Hero Corruption 2 on the Website
Check out the new HC2 thread
Play Hero Corruption 1
OrangeOrange69
Explorer
Explorer

Post by OrangeOrange69 »

diogaoo wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:02 am
Errant_ wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:35 am Regarding the meta, I think there is one major thing that I may have forgotten to mention in the past, and is a big deal in how the game plays out: the shop scaling the cost of green/orange potions with your max hp/lust. I feel like this is an unconventional design choice, and it results in weird/bad incentives. Basically it becomes in your best interest (gold/time optimal) to hoard all of your red/purple potions until you have 100-200 gold, stock up on all the green/orange potions you will need for the castle, and then pop all of the red/purple in your reserve.
I don't think it's a big deal, but at the same time, I don't really like it... It feels... Unnatural?
Maybe if prices gradually increased with the passing of days it would be a better solution? :unsure:
Could be decent, or like hard mode - track every point of corruption player has ever received, and use that for inflation. Speaking of hard mode, would be fun to have more survival elements, like girls attacking the camp sometimes.

My 2 cents on 1.40b
Spoiler: show
Couldn't find molly in like 5 runs
First version in a while, and on my first game I got forest boss with around 360 hp, a woman in pink swimsuit iirc, Leah or something (I think the flavour text was about training)? Got destroyed of course, but a few games later she was again there, but with around 240 hp.
How is HC 2 coming along?
Errant_
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Errant_ »

diogaoo wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:02 am
Agree it definitely feels unnatural, probably because it violates a very established principle from RPGs that healing potion costs don't change :). Also having something that actively disincentivizes you from leveling up (or in this case, improving your character) feels like it's breaking a sacred law of RPG games :lol:

I assume that your concern with fixed prices is that the potions become comparatively more powerful the stronger you are (e.g. a full heal at 100 hp is less valuable than a full heal at 300 hp)? I think any of these are reasonable options:
- Have a fixed price for the potions, but start at a much higher cost (the classic solution for most RPGs that have a "100% heal" item).
- Have a fixed price, but make the potions heal a fixed amount too (e.g. 100 hp/lust)
- Scale up the price based on number of purchases, similar to what you do with the red/purple potions at the shop.
- Increasing prices with passing days is an interesting idea too.
diogaoo
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by diogaoo »

OrangeOrange69 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:44 pm
Could be decent, or like hard mode - track every point of corruption player has ever received, and use that for inflation. Speaking of hard mode, would be fun to have more survival elements, like girls attacking the camp sometimes.

My 2 cents on 1.40b
Spoiler: show
Couldn't find molly in like 5 runs
First version in a while, and on my first game I got forest boss with around 360 hp, a woman in pink swimsuit iirc, Leah or something (I think the flavour text was about training)? Got destroyed of course, but a few games later she was again there, but with around 240 hp.
Leah gets stronger as the days go by, not only does her health increase but so does her attack and dodge rate. She also gets "smarter" in her second stage, so I recommend that you always try to defeat her the moment you realize she's in the game.

I don't know if you're aware about this, but let too many days go by and she should come after you at the base, just like you suggested. :-P
OrangeOrange69 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:44 pm How is HC 2 coming along?
HC2 is going great actually, thanks for asking ! :love:
I was just working on it last week, and while there's been a lot of progress I'd still like to add at least one more new girl this month, but I'm afraid the schedule is little bit tight as I don't intend to slow down HC1 content while working on the next generation of the game

If you are interested, I recently updated the site with some screenshots of the project, you can find the link in my signature

-------------------------------
Errant_ wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:03 pm
Agree it definitely feels unnatural, probably because it violates a very established principle from RPGs that healing potion costs don't change :). Also having something that actively disincentivizes you from leveling up (or in this case, improving your character) feels like it's breaking a sacred law of RPG games :lol:

I assume that your concern with fixed prices is that the potions become comparatively more powerful the stronger you are (e.g. a full heal at 100 hp is less valuable than a full heal at 300 hp)? I think any of these are reasonable options:
- Have a fixed price for the potions, but start at a much higher cost (the classic solution for most RPGs that have a "100% heal" item).
- Have a fixed price, but make the potions heal a fixed amount too (e.g. 100 hp/lust)
- Scale up the price based on number of purchases, similar to what you do with the red/purple potions at the shop.
- Increasing prices with passing days is an interesting idea too.
I really liked your suggestions, I believe that they bring up other questions such as: Should using a potion continue to skip the Hero's turn? Should healing potions be relevant during all stages of the game? What is the value of restoring 100HP/Lust (Keeping in mind that the importance of these attributes can vary greatly between runs)

Now that I'm reviewing the concept, the one that best suits the current game format would be to increase the value potion after each purchase, this would be consistent with what already exists in the game and can be quite adaptable to the player's need. :-D
Support my work on Patreon
Download Hero Corruption 2 on the Website
Check out the new HC2 thread
Play Hero Corruption 1
Captain Ping Pong
Curious Newbie
Curious Newbie

Post by Captain Ping Pong »

diogaoo wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:41 am
Captain Ping Pong wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:24 pm Bug report:

After finding an "ancient blade" three times in a row at the Grove there was only one in the inventory.
Ahoy Captain !
Did you managed to equip the blade before finding it a second or third time? If so, did the sword ever break?
I equiped it after the second time I got it. then it wasn't in my inventory enymore. After two encounters it broke and I found the third one that I was able to equip again.
Errant_
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Errant_ »

diogaoo wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:38 pm
I really liked your suggestions, I believe that they bring up other questions such as: Should using a potion continue to skip the Hero's turn? Should healing potions be relevant during all stages of the game? What is the value of restoring 100HP/Lust (Keeping in mind that the importance of these attributes can vary greatly between runs)

Now that I'm reviewing the concept, the one that best suits the current game format would be to increase the value potion after each purchase, this would be consistent with what already exists in the game and can be quite adaptable to the player's need. :-D
That sounds good to me (and also provides an incentive to use more... questionable sources of potions outside of the shop :-) ). Right now the potions are practically required for the castle (would be hard not to, but possible I think -- would be a fun idea for a challenge run); not so much outside of the castle except as a "I screwed up and need to save myself" emergency option.