Low-cost (~$40-60) DIY Stereo E-stim for Audio Input (based on TroniC's MidiStim)

This is the place for all suggestions, releases and feedback regarding Milovana Hardware efforts.
JakofClubs
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Straight
I am a: None of the above

Re: Low-cost (~$40-60) DIY Stereo E-stim for Audio Input (based on TroniC's MidiStim)

Post by JakofClubs »

ramen wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:56 pm I'm hunting for components to try this build. I have two questions:

1. Is the amp value of the power supply important? The OP lists two units with different values (3A and 5A). However the only one I could find easily is 12v 2A. Will this be safe?
You need to look at the specification of the amplifier that you plan on using and see what the maximum current draw is. I looked at the data sheet for the TPA3116D2 listed in the first post and I don't see a clear current recommendation. Others are recommending 5 amps.
You should be able to get a 5 amp, double insulated, two prong power corded power supply for about $11, USD of Amazon. These amps will work with higher than 12 volts, but it's considered safer to limit it to 12 volts.

My understanding is that it's generally safe to have power supplies that can provide more current (amps) than required, but not less. For resistors, a higher watt rating is safe, but not lower. For capacitors, a higher voltage rating is safe, but not lower.
ramen
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Low-cost (~$40-60) DIY Stereo E-stim for Audio Input (based on TroniC's MidiStim)

Post by ramen »

Thanks for the quick reply. Actually I have been avoiding amazon since most products there seem a bit sketchy.

OP actually measured the amplifier input, not sure if this is relevant:
cl13a wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:16 am I measured less than 2 watts at the input of the amplifier so it seems that 25W resistors aren't needed (maybe you need them if you're trying to shock your entire leg or something?).
Would this mean that you need at 12v, the power suply would need (a minimum of) 1.66A?

I'm asking out of curiosity, trying to understand what I'm building. I plan to get one with 5A just to be on the safe side.
steelhorse545
Explorer
Explorer
I am a: Dom (Male)

Post by steelhorse545 »

JakofClubs wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:49 pm
ramen wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:56 pm I'm hunting for components to try this build. I have two questions:

1. Is the amp value of the power supply important? The OP lists two units with different values (3A and 5A). However the only one I could find easily is 12v 2A. Will this be safe?
You need to look at the specification of the amplifier that you plan on using and see what the maximum current draw is. I looked at the data sheet for the TPA3116D2 listed in the first post and I don't see a clear current recommendation. Others are recommending 5 amps.
You should be able to get a 5 amp, double insulated, two prong power corded power supply for about $11, USD of Amazon. These amps will work with higher than 12 volts, but it's considered safer to limit it to 12 volts.

My understanding is that it's generally safe to have power supplies that can provide more current (amps) than required, but not less. For resistors, a higher watt rating is safe, but not lower. For capacitors, a higher voltage rating is safe, but not lower.
I started wittering through a reply re resistances etc, before deciding it wasn’t worth posting :D - but I’ve (finally) got some transformers etc arriving soon. To cut a long story short, with around 4ohm series resistor (amp-transformer) and around 16ohm in parallel with the transformer, the amp will see between 4 and 20 ohms as a load, depending on what the effective impedance seen at the transformer primary is (ie body resistance and transformer turns ratio).
(Fwiw, the tr1005 is finally in stock from cpc- farnell, for any Uk folks doing a build, but I’ve bought 2 of the 6 they had ! Seems pretty flexible with windings from 10w to 0.625W, and primary of 4/8/16ohms, so some experimentation is in order.)
I still need to order a TPA3116 amp and leads/electrodes, but when I’ve got it built I intend to make some measurements. I think the spare 12v psu I have is something like 3-4A, probably from a dead printer, so hopefully that’s kinda the right ballpark.

And yeah, the suggestions you made re overrating are fine.
JakofClubs
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by JakofClubs »

ramen wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:59 pm Thanks for the quick reply. Actually I have been avoiding amazon since most products there seem a bit sketchy.

OP actually measured the amplifier input, not sure if this is relevant:
cl13a wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:16 am I measured less than 2 watts at the input of the amplifier so it seems that 25W resistors aren't needed (maybe you need them if you're trying to shock your entire leg or something?).
Would this mean that you need at 12v, the power suply would need (a minimum of) 1.66A?

I'm asking out of curiosity, trying to understand what I'm building. I plan to get one with 5A just to be on the safe side.
I don't think the "2 watts at the input of the amplifier" and the 25W resistor comment has much to do with power supply capacity. 2 watts at 12 volts implies 0.17 amps, given that V * A = W.

The "25W resistor" is about power (heat) dissipation. 10W should be fine, especially if properly mounted to an aluminium case. The 25W resistors were about the same price as the 10W, so a lot of people used them. The resistors make sure the amp sees a minimum ohm load of 4 ohms, even if you get an accidental short circuit. So they should be able to dissipate the full output of the amp, for safety. But the "50 watts" these claim to output is optimistic, and at 21 volts input. The last (silver) built I posted gets lukewarm at 1/4 to 1/3 volume with 25W resistors and the amp in the same small case. I like things to run cool, so I' prefer the two larger black case builds I did, that don't warm up at all.

For reference:
https://www.amazon.com/Yohii-Green-Wire ... B07H7JFDR8 (5 pcs, 25W green)
Better deal than ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/401365209683 (5 pcs, 10W gold)
or
https://www.ebay.com/itm/391673829611 (2 pcs, 25W gold)
or:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/233173480674 (5 pcs, 25W green ships from China)

I've using a good quality (Delta brand) 3.3A power supply for a year with no issues, but I never turn it up over 1/3 volume. I just don't want to recommend anything lower than the actual EE's (electrical engineering) have recommended because no one knows exactly how someone will use the thing :-)
steelhorse545
Explorer
Explorer

Post by steelhorse545 »

I think the rated power output works something like this :
21V supply actually gives the peak voltage swing, and the rms voltage will be 0.707 of that, so about 14.8V. Then there’s a drop across the output FETs in the device - say 0.7- 0.8v as a complete guess. Using V^2/R that# 14*14/4 for a4ohm load - so about 49W rms.
For a 12v supply, that’s 8.5v rms less fet drop, so 7.8*7.8/4 -> 14.8W - funnily enough, by chance I’ve ordered 15W resistors for the inline load, before sitting down and thinking about it a little :)
JakofClubs
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by JakofClubs »

steelhorse545 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:37 pm For a 12v supply, that’s 8.5v rms less fet drop,
I thought the RMS value (0.707 multiplication factor) was only applied to AC waveforms to get the DC power equivalent, and the 12v PS output power is DC? Or am I getting confused?

Not an expert, just trying to understand better :wave:
steelhorse545
Explorer
Explorer

Post by steelhorse545 »

JakofClubs wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:27 am
steelhorse545 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:37 pm For a 12v supply, that’s 8.5v rms less fet drop,
I thought the RMS value (0.707 multiplication factor) was only applied to AC waveforms to get the DC power equivalent, and the 12v PS output power is DC? Or am I getting confused?

Not an expert, just trying to understand better :wave:

You’re partly right with the first bit. I’m a little sketchy on some details how class D amps work, but I’ve worked backwards from the quoted power vs supply rail, and it kinda ties up with one assumption.

Starting with a normal typical push- pull amplifier (eg instrument or audio amp.) cos it’s easier to think of (hopefully!), you’ve actually got a positive and negative supply (say 12v for this example), with the load (speaker) connected to the amp on one side, 0v on the other
If you think of a sine wave, assume the positive excursion goes from 0v to a peak somewhere near the positive supply rail (assume 12v), and the negative excursion goes from 0v to near the negative rail, then yeah, it’s 0.707 x 12v to give rms. Take a look at the classB and class AB diagrams here, the upper transistor is connected to the +ve, the lower to the -ve. (Each transistor drives a varying current which follows it’s part of the sinusoid)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_amp ... s#Class_AB

Class Damplifiers are a little different, since the output transistors are either on or off and the on:off time, when filtered (ie short term averaged ) actually gives a sinusoid (for this example) rather than the original on-off pulses see figure 7 here https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... lification
Now, you might think that for a single 12v supply that’s equivalent to a sinusoid going from 0v to 12V, with the ‘zero’ point at 6v- and that’s true of one type of class D amp.
In the case of the tpa3116, I think it’s a ‘full bridge’ - which has the effect of having a +ve and -ve supply of (in this example) 12v - so as you wrote, yeah, the sinusoid peaks are effectively +12v and -12v, so rms is 0.7x12. Making that assumption (given that I’m a bit sketchy on exactly how they work !), 50w ties up with using a 21v rail.

(Even when hard-on -oooer ! - the amp transistors drop will drop something less than 1V, so it’s actually a little less than 12v that can be seen across the load.)

The 0.707 multiplier only works for a sinusoid - for a square wave or triangle wave or anything else it will be different.
(Edit) That becomes relevant when you try to measure the change in supply current to the amplifier when it starts driving, or the voltage across the load (resistor/transformer for the estim case), cos voltmeters/multimeters assume a sinusoids voltage or current to measure when measuring AC.- and possibly limited to 50-60Hz (ie your country’s AC mains frequency).
IDK what the ‘2W’ really relates to - you can’t actually measure power as such without replacing the load (resistor/transformer) with some test equipment, so all you can do is measure load current and voltage, or one of the two and make some assumptions on what the load resistance is.

Err..hope that helps - possibly too much information ! - but any questions, feel free to ask and I’ll attempt to answer..haven’t done any analogue electronics for a looong time :)
Gr8M1ke
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Gr8M1ke »

Quick question for the smart folks: I'm on my second build, and I've seen two different placements for the triphase switch. One before the transformers and one after.

Does it matter?
phoopha
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
I am a: Submissive

Post by phoopha »

Gr8M1ke wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:29 am Quick question for the smart folks: I'm on my second build, and I've seen two different placements for the triphase switch. One before the transformers and one after.

Does it matter?
Don't know if it matters, but I put my switch after the transformers.
edger477
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by edger477 »

Gr8M1ke wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:29 am Quick question for the smart folks: I'm on my second build, and I've seen two different placements for the triphase switch. One before the transformers and one after.

Does it matter?
As transformers are insulating output from input, then having switch before transformers would not actually do anything.
Also to have "tri" phase, you have to connect 2 out of 4 wires on output together, so I don't see how they connect "triphase" without joining outputs.
Last edited by edger477 on Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steelhorse545
Explorer
Explorer

Post by steelhorse545 »

Does it matter?
Yup. Needs to be after the transformers. You can swap the absolute phase (ie whether they’re both going from positive to negative) on either side of the transformer by adding a switch on one pair of connections to one transformer which swaps over the wires to the rest of the circuit. Just to confuse the issue, if you did add another switch to swap phase direction, that can also have an effect on how the tri phase switch is connected up - ie which two wires are being commoned together, as well as their phase. I guess it’s easier to think of physical (body) connections and what you’re trying to common together.

If you’re seeing a switch on the amplifier side, that could be to change the relative phase, not tri phase - any links ?

Oh, and I think ‘transformators’ are usually found from the same suppliers that sell dilithium crystals and vibranium ;)
edger477
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by edger477 »

steelhorse545 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:43 pm Oh, and I think ‘transformators’ are usually found from the same suppliers that sell dilithium crystals and vibranium ;)
or junkyard owners (I mistakenly used non-English name from my native language :) fixed now)
Gr8M1ke
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Gr8M1ke »

steelhorse545 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:43 pm

Does it matter?
Yup. Needs to be after the transformers. You can swap the absolute phase (ie whether they’re both going from positive to negative) on either side of the transformer by adding a switch on one pair of connections to one transformer which swaps over the wires to the rest of the circuit. Just to confuse the issue, if you did add another switch to swap phase direction, that can also have an effect on how the tri phase switch is connected up - ie which two wires are being commoned together, as well as their phase. I guess it’s easier to think of physical (body) connections and what you’re trying to common together.

If you’re seeing a switch on the amplifier side, that could be to change the relative phase, not tri phase - any links ?

Oh, and I think ‘transformators’ are usually found from the same suppliers that sell dilithium crystals and vibranium ;)
The schematic I was looking at was https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_jg2OQ ... sp=sharing
ramen
Explorer
Explorer

Post by ramen »

Hey there. I just started my build and I have found a problem.

The amp (HX-M189) is totally silent. I removed all the other components and still can't get sound out of it. On top of that, the ON light remains lit for a long time after I unplug it. And I mean a long time, like half a minute. Did I just get a faulty unit?
For the record, I poked around the PCB with some wires and I get sound around the input and volume knob, but nothing beyond that.

Perhaps other owners of this amp can clarify if this is normal or if it can be fixed.
Wen74
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Wen74 »

Hi,

Thank you all for your helpful information and comments. I built my own box and it is amazing.

This was built with aliexpress 3116 amplifier and Visaton transformers. I'm using 4,7ohm resistors but I have 3.3ohm resistors available. What kind of difference do you think it would make if I changed those in?
Device
Device
IMG_20220113_120441.jpg (617.8 KiB) Viewed 2058 times