Prototyped first tease - would appreciate technical feedback.

Post all technical issues and questions here. We'll gladly help you wherever we can.
achelappian
Explorer
Explorer

Prototyped first tease - would appreciate technical feedback.

Post by achelappian »

Here's a barebones mockup of my first tease with just enough placeholder text so that why you're the clicking the buttons hopefully makes sense:
https://milovana.com/webteases/showteas ... f83c2ea880
And here's the link to the json page if you wouldn't mind looking under the hood:
https://milovana.com/webteases/geteossc ... f83c2ea880
there's a mini-readme in the init script section to help you navigate.

I'd love to know if
(a) you can find a way to break anything.
(b) the interface and structure of the tease makes sense to you.
(c) there's a better way of coding anything.
I struggled to do some things that felt like they should be pretty basic, so I wouldn't be surprised if I unnecessarily made things too complicated.

I also have a few more general questions:
Is there a better way to debug? Can I move the JS code somewhere to see what values variables are getting and where errors are happening without having to write placeholders for everything happening in the built-in Methods?
Is there a better way to navigate the editor? Creating actions nested in if loops or choices means a lot of clicking back and forth to be able to actual re-access what you were just working on.
Is there any way to search-and-replace text?
Any way to cut and paste a chunk bigger than a single action but smaller than a whole page?
Any way to bookmark the user's current progress on a page so you can send them somewhere else then send them back without having to redo everything on that page?

Any help or feedback is appreciated. Thanks for your time!
fapnip
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Re: Prototyped first tease - would appreciate technical feedback.

Post by fapnip »

After a quick look, I'd probably modify the input prompt for changing rank to a common page with choice options for selecting rank. (You can turn on and populate the per option "Visible" expression to control button visibility. Unfortunately, you can't currently change an option's label using evals -- but you can turn visibility of them off/on.)
fapnip
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by fapnip »

achelappian wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:00 am Is there a better way to debug?
Open your browser's JavaScript console, then in your evals you can do things like:
console.log('My Variable is', myVariableName)
or
console.warn('Variables may not be right:', possiblyBadVariable, anotherQuestionableVar)
or
console.error('This is very bad', myBadVariable)
achelappian wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:00 am Any way to cut and paste a chunk bigger than a single action but smaller than a whole page?
Nope. I'll often wrap multiple action I want to group in an IF (true) action so a can easily copy/paste the group.
achelappian wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:00 am Any way to bookmark the user's current progress on a page
A bunch of IFs and setting a progress variable, or breaking things up into multiple pages.
achelappian
Explorer
Explorer

Post by achelappian »

fapnip wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:25 pm After a quick look, I'd probably modify the input prompt for changing rank to a common page with choice options for selecting rank. (You can turn on and populate the per option "Visible" expression to control button visibility. Unfortunately, you can't currently change an option's label using evals -- but you can turn visibility of them off/on.)
That makes a lot of sense. Also realized cell phones are a thing and I should probably avoid input prompts if a button will do.
I haven't made the visibility eval do anything except be a single expression that evaluates to true/false. That's all they're made to do, right?
fapnip wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:40 pm Open your browser's JavaScript console
This is the kind of thing I would never have found out on my own. Thanks!
fapnip wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:40 pm Nope. I'll often wrap multiple action I want to group in an IF (true) action so a can easily copy/paste the group.
[...]
A bunch of IFs and setting a progress variable, or breaking things up into multiple pages.
I kinda thought that would be the case. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking some features.

Thanks many times over for your help throughout this, fapnip. I would have ditched this little idea earlier if you weren't around. I mean, I might still ditch it, but at least I got this far. :-P
fapnip
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by fapnip »

achelappian wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:50 pm I haven't made the visibility eval do anything except be a single expression that evaluates to true/false. That's all they're made to do, right?
Yes, you just use true/false expressions:
myTrueFalseFunction()
or
myVar < 2 || myVar > 6
or
myVar === 'some string'
and so on...

In case you're not already aware, you may want to read up on JavaScript's truthy and falsy values, along with Abstract/Strict Equality Comparisons, to avoid some possible gotchas.
achelappian wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:50 pm Thanks many times over for your help throughout this, fapnip. I would have ditched this little idea earlier if you weren't around. I mean, I might still ditch it, but at least I got this far. :-P
You're welcome.