Eos Editor - Some Pages Don't Work

Post all technical issues and questions here. We'll gladly help you wherever we can.
intermolecularpyro
Explorer
Explorer

Eos Editor - Some Pages Don't Work

Post by intermolecularpyro »

Hey, I decided to make my first tease (about time!) But I'm hitting a problem in Eos.

If I have a choice in a page somewhere, the page doesn't work. If I try to preview it, it will just have a black screen after loading media etc.
If I'm previewing the whole tease, when the page before finishes, it doesn't move on the the affected page, just removes the text and keeps the image from the current page.

I've tried removing the choice and the page works again, but I really want to use choices somewhere. I've double checked that the choice should work on paper, tried deleting the page entirely and remaking it, but the error still persists. I made a test page and the error happens there too once there is a choice added.

The weird thing is, it was working perfectly fine yesterday. I've tried clearing the browser's cache, logging out, etc. but to no avail.

Anyone come across this or know of a fix?

Thank you!

EDIT:
I made a test tease with just a few pages, no images, and a couple of words as text. Added a choice in it and it works fine!
Seems like it's a problem with my original tease. I'll give it a day or so and check if the test one breaks by then too.

Also, one of the pages in my original tease just loads media forever when trying to preview it. Usually able to fix that by just refreshing but it's not working here. There is a metronome on that page which may be something to do with it.

EDIT 2:
Aha! I've worked it out - the two problems had the same cause. I had a metronome on one of the pages which was an option on the choice page, but removed the file used for the sound and replaced it with another one. The page was trying to pull from a file which didn't exist! That was the last thing I did on the tease yesterday which would explain why it worked yesterday but not today.

Not sure why that disables the page leading to that page, but hey ho, it's sorted now.

Feel free to remove this topic but it may be useful if other people come across the same issue.
fapnip
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Re: Eos Editor - Some Pages Don't Work

Post by fapnip »

intermolecularpyro wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:17 am Not sure why that disables the page leading to that page, but hey ho, it's sorted now.
The Eos player will pre-load images and audio on all "next" pages -- pages linked by a goto in the current page it's displaying. If there's an issue with one of the locators on those pages, the pre-loader will crash. (Opening your browser's console while debugging teases is usually a good idea, as you'll see an error about the failure pop up -- though often the errors displayed are a bit opaque.)

Also, you can paste your tease URL in Eos Magpie twice (as source and target) to have it check for bad locator links.
intermolecularpyro
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Eos Editor - Some Pages Don't Work

Post by intermolecularpyro »

Ah that makes sense, thanks for explaining.

I'll make use of your magpie tool at some point. Seems really useful!