[Feedback] The Cursed Ascent (now with poll!)

All about the past, current and future webteases and the art of webteasing in general.
---

What new feature would you like the most? (*Explanation in first post. Feel free to comment below!)

harder difficulty option: harder tasks
10%
harder difficulty option: e.g. less max health or stronger Vixens
4%
easier difficulty option: easier tasks or regen after battle
7%
Boss Mode* (fight a hard new Vixen)
22%
Artifact shop* (change entire Ascent)
6%
Challenge (option before a fight: gain gold but make the Vixen stronger)
7%
New task: Tease*
9%
Cheat Mode*
12%
Player-created Vixens*
6%
User-created Vixens*
16%

Total votes: 139

itslate
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Straight

Re: [Feedback] The Cursed Ascent

Post by itslate »

iiilllililiill wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:32 pm
Spoiler: show
I unlocked the King of Sodom to see how he played, but he seems to be bugged. He has the same task set as the Tormented Rogue
Yep, that's a bug! I found it but it will take me half a day before I can fix it. Your savegame won't be affected. Thanks for reporting!
lor205y
Explorer
Explorer

Post by lor205y »

Ok, still playing, and this really is amazing. Easily among the all time greatest teases, and absolutely the most sophisticated.

Couple of observations and questions for you :)
Does visiting the dojo, witch, etc., use up one of the rounds in a realm? I.e., if it says 5 of 9 or whatever, does visiting the dojo mean one less vixen for me to fight that realm? Am I cheating myself out of seeing all of them, or will I end up visiting them all anyways?
I only JUST realized that a lot of statuses need to be entered with the "ed" on the end, "weakened" etc. That was not obvious at all and had me just assuming a lot of them can't be searched. Maybe they should work both ways?
Just seconding everyone who's saying some kind of vague guide for at least most of the curses would be nice. I've kinda gathered from the fallen angels, and testing a bit, what some of them do. I like stroking/edging so right now I have sloth, lust, and pride turned on. Also added greed cause YOLO, maybe it's related? But honestly tough to tell.
I saw someone else ask about keys. I've been awarded two of them so far, and did go to the next realm after being awared one of them and it still doesn't show up in my inventory, though when I got the second key in the realm I'm in the text said "you got a second key" or something like that, so the game knows I have two, but they're not showing in inventory...
itslate
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by itslate »

lor205y wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:14 am Ok, still playing, and this really is amazing. Easily among the all time greatest teases, and absolutely the most sophisticated.
Thank you, I'm happy you guys are enjoying it!
lor205y wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:14 am Does visiting the dojo, witch, etc., use up one of the rounds in a realm? I.e., if it says 5 of 9 or whatever, does visiting the dojo mean one less vixen for me to fight that realm? Am I cheating myself out of seeing all of them, or will I end up visiting them all anyways?
Yes, a step is either a battle or a place. The game is balanced around this though, knowing full well that people will mostly avoid as many battles as possible. You will still see all vixens this way, if you play repeatedly.
lor205y wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:14 amI only JUST realized that a lot of statuses need to be entered with the "ed" on the end, "weakened" etc. That was not obvious at all and had me just assuming a lot of them can't be searched. Maybe they should work both ways?
I already programmed it to include different endings in most of these cases. Upper and lower case as well. So my switch case for Weakened would have to include: Weakened, weakened, weak, Weak, Weaken, weaken? I dunno, this seems like a lot of work for one status, if you can just type it the way it is displayed...
lor205y wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:14 amJust seconding everyone who's saying some kind of vague guide for at least most of the curses would be nice. I've kinda gathered from the fallen angels, and testing a bit, what some of them do. I like stroking/edging so right now I have sloth, lust, and pride turned on. Also added greed cause YOLO, maybe it's related? But honestly tough to tell.
Seems like you already found the right curses for your tastes!
lor205y wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:14 amI saw someone else ask about keys. I've been awarded two of them so far, and did go to the next realm after being awared one of them and it still doesn't show up in my inventory, though when I got the second key in the realm I'm in the text said "you got a second key" or something like that, so the game knows I have two, but they're not showing in inventory...
If you keep playing, you will get the keys.
lor205y
Explorer
Explorer

Post by lor205y »

Thanks for all the replies!!

I just hit two statuses that can't be searched as shown in play:
reprimand, discourage - both need a "ed" on the end to search, but are shown in gameplay without it. I think I may have been finding others earlier, and this led to me think that a lot of them just weren't searchable before I realized I had to add an "ed"
Also, hahaha, I am playing trying to see every single vixen rather than trying to avoid battles, cause I guess I am a sucker for punishment and also an obsessive completionist?
edit: had a typo above. The statuses show up in gameplay withOUT an "ed" but need the "ed" to be searched.
Last edited by lor205y on Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RemiHiyama
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
I am a: Switch

Post by RemiHiyama »

Disclaimer: I find this interesting mechanically, but not playable as is due to various factors. So my observations are limited to things that can be seen clicky-clicky-clicking through in debug mode.
The chart for "The King of Sodom" shows anal for attack, but then it has edging instructions in game. What's with that?

Now, I'm not into edging at all (it doesn't seem to work for me), but I know what it is. There's some terms in the more complicated edging tasks that I've never seen before. What's edging "closely"? What's "ballooning"? These should be defined before asking people to do them.

If toys or other items can be required, you should mention that before starting.

And speaking of which, I don't know what the maximum number of clothespins required under typical gameplay is, but having the curse of teeth seems to result in it escalating well past that point, which I'm not sure is intended.

Is counter supposed to go off on every hit of quad-slash?

If you check your stats at the first step of a realm, it'll show you the intro again, which doesn't seem desirable.

I don't remember if I actually unlocked Curse of Space or not, but it's showing in both the "turn keys" menu and as an option for a new ascent, so one of those things is probably wrong.

Are some attacks not supposed to be affected by armored or immune? Because I've seen that in a couple places.

Do the breathplay instructions take into account the length of the task they are attached to? Because some seem... pretty iffy. (I might suggest just making that an option actually, since it's kind of controversial and not really the focus of the tease in the first place.)

Confusion feels a bit overused given how important strategy normally is.

It'd be nice if you could still open up the manual when you have a game in progress.

"Light armor" is a really counterintuitive name for an item that reduces your effective defense.
itslate wrote:You will still see all vixens this way, if you play repeatedly.
It does seem like some are far more common than others, even with the randomization involved. Is this intended?
I dunno, this seems like a lot of work for one status, if you can just type it the way it is displayed...
Urgh, giant switch statements. Have you considered using a regular expression? One line gives you everything that begins with "weak" (or whatever) in any case, even if some wiseass types in "wEaKeNeD" or something.
Auto: Replaces selected instances of the word "not" with the word "definitely".
deadlyonear275
Explorer
Explorer
I am a: Dom (Male)

Post by deadlyonear275 »

First off, great job. This is a cool game that is immersive and challenging, which is what a good game should be.

A few things I would like to see (just my opinions):

1 - Before we start the ascent, it would be good to prepare. For example, go to the witch and choose multiple curses to get gold, then go to a shop and buy a few items with that goal, and then start the ascent. Since this is a RPG type game, this would be in the spirit of "I am in town, and before I run off to fight monsters, I want to gear up." It also allows players who want more than one kink in their game to pick them.

2 - I agree with previous posts that it would be good to explain what the curses do. While some are intuitive, some are not, and people can be very picky about which kinks they enjoy and which they do not. It would be too bad if someone was part way through the game, enjoying it, and then a kink popped up that they really do not enjoy, so they probably ignore it (which I assume is not what you want the player to do).
itslate
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by itslate »

Maybe I could lower the price of the curse list, I dunno. It would also be okay if you guys talked about what the curses do in spoilers tags. The curses manifest themselves very quickly. In case you see it sucks, you can end the ascent and start with another curse with no penalty.
eloelo120
Explorer
Explorer
Sexual Orientation: Open to new ideas!

Post by eloelo120 »

Okay, sorry if my question is stupid, but how do one bounce his dick? I can't understand this task :lol:
LittleElfBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Sexual Orientation: Open to new ideas!
I am a: Submissive

Post by LittleElfBoy »

If someone doesn't want to figure out what the curses do the hard way, here's all curses and what they do:
Anger: Harder Block Tasks
Captivity: Get Bound at the start of each battle (tie up your balls/cock)
Envy: If you fight an enemy who has more gold than you, you start the battle with Taunted 2 (You must attack for 2 turns straight)
Fear: Harder Boost Tasks
Greed: Harder Seize Tasks
Ice and Fire: Start with chilled 1 at the start of each battle (apply icyhot/toothpaste to dick)
Ignorance: Gives you the Analyze Skill, makes smith unavailable.
Lust: More variance in stroking/Edging tasks
Pain: Harder Restore Tasks
Pride: More varied Edging/Ballooning Tasks
Servility: Do every fight while kneeling
Sloth: Stroking and edging will appear in other tasks.
Teeth: Pinned in every battle (Put clothespins on nipple/nuts/cock)
Time: All your turns have a time limit
Weakness: Harder Attack Tasks
Wrath: CBT instructions appear in stroking/edging tasks.
Denial: You can't win an orgasm, but if you fail to reach the witch, you get a punishment.
Disembodiment: You don't need to do any tasks, but you can't earn keys.
Death: No witch visits during the run. You have to fight her at the end.
Space: Choose a realm of your choice and play only that. No rewards.
Zofia Little Flame
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual/Bi-Curious
I am a: Submissive

Post by Zofia Little Flame »

From what little I have played. It's a very good if not a bit complicated game. But when you have your head around all the actions and what the vixens are going to do it get a bit easier. Still a rather hard game just less complicated.
Hope more characters are to be added or if you get get more the further you progress.
I also think changing the block and attack action around might be better. So you stroke to block and you follow the metronome to attack. Stroking with a metronome takes something away from me personally.
Overall great game and I will be trying to fight through it and failing more than likely. 💜
301stLegion
Explorer
Explorer

Post by 301stLegion »

Hi, just really wanted to say that I love the tease! As a big slay the spire fan its right up my street.

Since this seems the place for it I had couple of thoughts as I was playing the game.
I've spotted a couple of times where the in battle menu wasn't there. Is that something that is supposed to happen or is it a bug? If its the latter I'll keep my eyes peeled for where it happens.
I saw an earlier post that said confused was a bit too common and I think I agree. On turns where I have it I'm mostly relying on what on a certain average of what certain enemies will do. Now you could argue that that's a good thing, learning enemy patterns but it feels too meta-gamey for me and bring me out of the vibe a bit.
I know this might be a bit of a departure from the current set up with curses so feel free to disregard this entirely but one thing that might be cool is a game mode where you can have certain curses forced upon you, or just other ways of getting them and then have ways of removing them. Makes them feel a bit more like a game play element rather than an opt in fetish thing that rewards you for picking more. If that does sound cool to you I would recommend an option menu that can let you ban certain curses. Ice and fire I am looking at you.
Last thing is a little more esoteric but I feel a little weird about the king of Sodom. I know the whole thing with the different rouges is that they have different tasks for the actions but for such a dramatic change in how you play having it just replace the attack option just feels a little....empty. I wish it made the enemies replace some or their attacks with stuff that interacted with it. Or hell just made it so you could run into enemies that are unique to that rouge.
Again just some thoughts I had presented in a vaguely rambley fashion. But seriously my dude, this is some top shelf tease stuff!
itslate
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by itslate »

Zofia Little Flame wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:26 amHope more characters are to be added or if you get get more the further you progress.
I also think changing the block and attack action around might be better. So you stroke to block and you follow the metronome to attack. Stroking with a metronome takes something away from me personally.
Keep playing and I think you will be happy.
301stLegion wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:43 pmI've spotted a couple of times where the in battle menu wasn't there. Is that something that is supposed to happen or is it a bug? If its the latter I'll keep my eyes peeled for where it happens.
Apart from one specific Debuff, that menu should always be there. Please keep an eye on it, this is a new feature after all.
301stLegion wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:43 pmI saw an earlier post that said confused was a bit too common and I think I agree. On turns where I have it I'm mostly relying on what on a certain average of what certain enemies will do. Now you could argue that that's a good thing, learning enemy patterns but it feels too meta-gamey for me and bring me out of the vibe a bit.
Interesting, I wouldn't have guessed that feedback. While writing, confusing seemed to fit with some vixens and their narratives really well. I know it hinders playing optimally and starts some mind-games. It also opens up a new push-your-luck moment, when you decide whether to block for example. Generall I like those aspects but I am open to tone that done a bit if I get more feedback like this.
301stLegion wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:43 pmI know this might be a bit of a departure from the current set up with curses so feel free to disregard this entirely but one thing that might be cool is a game mode where you can have certain curses forced upon you, or just other ways of getting them and then have ways of removing them.
I have been thinking of enemies cursing you, but that felt too mean. In consideration for that, I added the vixens natures, which kinda acts like mini-curses.
Just a reminder if people dislike certain tasks or curses during a run:
Immunity, which is the first unlockable Limitbreak, even blocks damage you get from failing tasks.
RemiHiyama
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by RemiHiyama »

I don't think armored is working correctly for the player, I've now seen multiple examples of it failing to prevent damage, even when the amount of armor exceeded the attack power.
itslate
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by itslate »

RemiHiyama wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:31 pm I don't think armored is working correctly for the player, I've now seen multiple examples of it failing to prevent damage, even when the amount of armor exceeded the attack power.
Wow, thanks! It was a simple error in the code but I didn't see it till now. Thanks for reporting!
RemiHiyama
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by RemiHiyama »

itslate wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:28 pmI know it hinders playing optimally and starts some mind-games. It also opens up a new push-your-luck moment, when you decide whether to block for example. Generall I like those aspects but I am open to tone that done a bit if I get more feedback like this.
For some people it encourages playing very cautiously and defensively. (To the extent that you can in a given situation.) Which, yes, draws things out, but it also increases monotony.

I've done some more testing, and Immune doesn't seem to work on attacks either. Status effect damage seems to be prevented correctly.

When purchasing the Switchblade, the message says 1 piercing damage, even though the stats (and actually using it) show 2 damage.

If you have a limit break ready and are hit with reduce limit, is that supposed to completely wipe you out? I expected to end up at, say, 60 after being hit with a 40 strength reduce, but that wasn't what happened./spoiler]