[Tutorial] Building your own DIY E-Stim Stereo Device

This is the place for all suggestions, releases and feedback regarding Milovana Hardware efforts.
bobhill
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Straight
I am a: None of the above

Re: [Tutorial] Building your own DIY E-Stim Stereo Device

Post by bobhill »

This is a very interesting and informative thread! I'm trying to learn more about stimming, particularly with the amount of new content on the site, which looks really interesting.
mantrid wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:52 am
alexfayer wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:54 pm Hopefully this is correct mantrid?
It is correct.
mantrid wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:25 pm In lolo2's drawing the circuit shown above replaces the transformer and the golden series resistor, i.e. the banana jacks have to be connected directly to the transformer and the resistor+capacitor+TVS diode has to be inserted between transformer an amplifier.
I'm confused by the quotes above. @mantrid says that his addition "replaces the transformer and the golden series resistor", but then @alexfayer has the new circuit is placed "in-line" between the amplifier and the transformer. The two statements and the new drawing (thank you @alexfayer!) don't seem to align. I'm probably missing something simple. Is it just the "gold series resistor" that is removed from @lolo2 's schematic?
mantrid wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:52 am The new winding selection should be tested. If it is to weak (if the output impedance becomes to large) a lower winding ratio should be used.
This seems quite important and I understand enough to know what you are saying, but I don't have the skill to "test" or the knowledge to know the "target", or what replacement parts would be candidates. Nor do I think many followers of this thread would know.
alexfayer
Explorer
Explorer

Post by alexfayer »

mantrid wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:25 pm
estim-circuit.png
estim-circuit.png (7.01 KiB) Viewed 7708 times
What he meant was that the circuit in the picture above replaces also the transformer. The component on the right side is a transformer. If you look at the high-pass of my shematic you can see that I left this part out in the high-pass block because it comes after the high-pass.

In terms of winding ratio if it doesnt work we just need to resolder the 0.6W connection to 1W or 2W instead and try if that provides the desired power.
bobhill
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by bobhill »

alexfayer wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:27 pm What he meant was that the circuit in the picture above replaces also the transformer. The component on the right side is a transformer. If you look at the high-pass of my schematic you can see that I left this part out in the high-pass block because it comes after the high-pass.
Oh, I get it, thanks.

EDIT: I do actually get it now and the rest of my prior message was wrong. :whistle:
Last edited by bobhill on Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mantrid
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
I am a: Switch

Post by mantrid »

alexfayer wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:27 pm In terms of winding ratio if it doesnt work we just need to resolder the 0.6W connection to 1W or 2W instead and try if that provides the desired power.
The power which is transferred through the transformer depends inductive component of the input impedance which is approximately equal to output impedance divided by winding ratio in square. Output impedance is resistance between electrodes plus (DC) resistance of the output winding.

In order to optimally tailor the components (output power also depends on series resistor ...), the output impedance and the required output power would have to be known. But I never measured this numbers. Maybe I will do that in future.
Spoiler: show
Due to electrochemical effects there is always a voltage between the electrodes. That's why both values have to be measured in action with AC. Rough estimation for the output power is 1W
I tried out the Reichelt transformer with winding ratio 1:10 and the Digikey transformer with winding ratio 1:25 (see the links in the earlier posts for part numbers). The only difference I could detect is that the Digikey transformer was weaker which may also be a result of the high DC resistance of the output winding.

So at least the range of 1:10 to 1:25 is usable.
GAsm -- A guide assembler with EStim support to generate interactive teases that run in a browser.
alexfayer
Explorer
Explorer

Post by alexfayer »

If I calculated correctly the transformer lolol2 mentioned from Conrad has a winding ratio of 1:61 in the configuration I posted(4ohm and 0.625W) and 1:42 with 4ohm and 1.25W. To achieve a 1:15 ratio we would need to select 8ohm and 5W.
Datasheet of this transformer:
Is this correct?

Looking at the 1:10 transformer you posted from Reichelt I wish I never ordered the one from Conrad. :lol:

Thanks for the help so far mantrid. When I understand all of this I can create a noob guide on how to build a safe device for everyone. Then more people will be able to build and enjoy unfiltered estim devices.
ZeeWW
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
I am a: Submissive

Post by ZeeWW »

@alexfayer can I make a request that when you do write a noob guide, and that would be awesome, can you please limit the amount of soldering used? I have taken on to using the Wago 221 clips as Lolo2 uses and the are fantastic, easy to use and reduces soldering.

Thanks.
alexfayer
Explorer
Explorer

Post by alexfayer »

@ZeeWW The way I have it planned the clips will be for no use because I will connect the components directly with one single wire. When you connect components you cannot use clips so over all this will make it simpler.
I don't think I explained that well but it will make sense when you see the final result.

Do not just bend wire together so there is a connection. It could come loose or have a weak connection and when that happens you don't want any electrodes on your body. The most important thing will always be safety.
mantrid
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by mantrid »

alexfayer wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:22 am If I calculated correctly the transformer lolol2 mentioned from Conrad has a winding ratio of 1:61 in the configuration I posted(4ohm and 0.625W) and 1:42 with 4ohm and 1.25W. To achieve a 1:15 ratio we would need to select 8ohm and 5W.
Datasheet of this transformer:
datenblatt-516104-elma-tt-iz-1892-impedanz-4-16-primaerspannung-100-v-inhalt-1-st.pdf

Is this correct?
Correct. You get this values if you use the winding numbers in line 4.3 of datasheet. Winding assignment is guessed correctly (datasheet keeps that in secret), because the ratios (r) i get from the power (P) and impedance (X_s) ratings neglecting the loss are very similar: 63, 45 and 16 (formula is r=100V/sqrt(X_s*P) )

According to the ratings the transformer is quite efficient at a frequency which is kept in secret too. But from the user comments on the products page one learns, that this transformer works well for audio frequencies ...
Looking at the 1:10 transformer you posted from Reichelt I wish I never ordered the one from Conrad. :lol:
I think the transformer from Conrad isn't bad. It's just a little bit unhandy and the documentation is obscure.

ZeeWW wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:04 am @alexfayer can I make a request that when you do write a noob guide, and that would be awesome, can you please limit the amount of soldering used? I have taken on to using the Wago 221 clips as Lolo2 uses and the are fantastic, easy to use and reduces soldering.
The components I use cannot be connected safely with such clips and you probably don't want to repair it during Esim session.

Another option are crimp contacts. But soldering is IMHO easier.

For private purposes, use the good old SN60PB40 solder with flux core. Unless you eat it all characteristics are better than that of typical lead free solder.

It should also be mentioned that stainless steel can be soldered easily with the right flux (DIY electrodes).
GAsm -- A guide assembler with EStim support to generate interactive teases that run in a browser.
Dust
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Dust »

Maybe I will finally try to build a device for myself with this guide. It is especially convenient that all the parts are from a german retailer :). Altough the longer I wait, the more I get confused by the new posts....

Coming from a 2B: is there any advantage to use the suggested input / output ports over a simple AUX input / output? Since all my electrodes and PC use AUX I would have to use adapters anyway...
alexfayer
Explorer
Explorer

Post by alexfayer »

I don't think there is much difference. That's why I bought a 3.5mm port. Also it is possible to put both connectors into the housing. So you can still switch between them if wanted.
My orders should arrive on the weekend so I can finally start building it, test it and write an how to build guide.
BamaSwitch
Explorer
Explorer

Post by BamaSwitch »

Hey guys,

I'm a newbie but love stimming so far. I have a 2B but its limitations are frustrating. It did help me learn that I really wanted to try a more versatile unit.

I can do basic wiring and soldering but don't know anything about electronics. Can someone help me source the correct items from a US location? I'm having trouble making sure what I find will actually work as a substitute.

I keep trying to reactivate my smartstim account but can never seem to get registered properly. Anyone with contacts there would be helpful too. :)
cl13a
Explorer
Explorer

Post by cl13a »

BamaSwitch wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:54 pm Hey guys,

I'm a newbie but love stimming so far. I have a 2B but its limitations are frustrating. It did help me learn that I really wanted to try a more versatile unit.

I can do basic wiring and soldering but don't know anything about electronics. Can someone help me source the correct items from a US location? I'm having trouble making sure what I find will actually work as a substitute.

I keep trying to reactivate my smartstim account but can never seem to get registered properly. Anyone with contacts there would be helpful too. :)
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=23322&p=288189#p288189
I made a build list based on the MidiStim from smartstim, all the parts there can be shipped to the US (eBay listings). And the Parts Express version is $43.12 (it should work but I will say that as of this post nobody has tested those components before).
BamaSwitch
Explorer
Explorer

Post by BamaSwitch »

[/quote]
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=23322&p=288189#p288189
I made a build list based on the MidiStim from smartstim, all the parts there can be shipped to the US (eBay listings). And the Parts Express version is $43.12 (it should work but I will say that as of this post nobody has tested those components before).
[/quote]

Thanks! I posted a couple of questions in the thread you linked. :-)
mantrid
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by mantrid »

BamaSwitch wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:54 pm I can do basic wiring and soldering but don't know anything about electronics. Can someone help me source the correct items from a US location? I'm having trouble making sure what I find will actually work as a substitute.
I already posted Digikey part numbers for the output circuit in the past:
  • Transformer: 237-1146-ND
  • Capacitor: 493-17272-ND
  • TVS-Diode: 1.5KE15CALFCT-ND (plenty alternatives, search for 1.5KE15CA)
  • Resistor 10Ohm/2W: A138253CT-ND (plenty alternatives)
  • Resistor 5.1Ohm/2W: A138346CT-ND (plenty alternatives)
  • Banana jacks and plugs
  • Heat shrink tubings for isolation
Circuit diagram and pictures of the output circuit are there, review of the Digikey variant is there (if it is to weak, this can be compensated using a lower resistor value).

Also see the other posts and links in this thread.

Readily boxed amplifiers (with balance knob) can be purchased from Ebay or Amazon (search terms: amplifer MA-180)

P.S.: The circuit in the other thread is IMHO unsafe. AFAIR this thread is the 4th thread here on Milovana in which I wrote about that topic and I do not plan to discuss it a 5th time in parallel.
bobhill
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by bobhill »

mantrid wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:00 pm P.S.: The circuit in the other thread is IMHO unsafe. AFAIR this thread is the 4th thread here on Milovana in which I wrote about that topic and I do not plan to discuss it a 5th time in parallel.
Yes - it's very confusing to have the multiple threads running. I saw that @alexfayer had completed a build of the unit in this thread and was very pleased with the result. I'm hoping that he completes the tutorial of his build when he has time (in this thread). :wave: