[Solved] EOS - "Choice" action bug (doesn't scroll sometimes)

Post all technical issues and questions here. We'll gladly help you wherever we can.
MisterFlames
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Straight
I am a: Switch

[Solved] EOS - "Choice" action bug (doesn't scroll sometimes)

Post by MisterFlames »

Happens in Chrome.

When I use "Choice" without any content inside of an option, it sometimes prevents it from automatically scrolling down.

Example:
- Say "Hi, player."
- Choice "Hello Mistress" (no content, just to simulate a streamlined conversation)
- Say "Good boy."

After pressing the Choice button, you sometimes have to manually scroll down to the next say action. It seems to happen randomly. Like, 1 out of 3 times.
Last edited by MisterFlames on Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Roblsforbobls
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Asexual

Re: EOS - Empty "Choice" action bug (doesn't scroll sometimes)

Post by Roblsforbobls »

I'd love to see something done about this bug if possible. It's been around for a while and it's really intrusive. In my experience, I have noticed it happening when the tease has a lot of text on one page, after clicking buttons in choice/notification actions, and especially when scrolling up. I've found that scrolling up was the surest way to break automatic scrolling. Since it also happens with buttons, it could be that there is a problem with multiple parts of EOS that all cause the same bug. Once it happens during a tease, it seems that automatic scrolling won't start working again by itself, rather the page must be refreshed.

The same bug happens on Android Chrome when you scroll up.
MisterFlames
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Re: EOS - "Choice" action bug (doesn't scroll sometimes)

Post by MisterFlames »

Did some testing. Found out that it doesn't really matter if the "Choice" is empty. It's just more noticable if you use a lot of empty Choice actions.

The bug actually happens after any choice. (possibly if it exits the choice very fast again)

Here is an illustration:
There is a roughly 10% chance that it doesn't scroll down past the red line when I test it. More often on bigger pages.

Could be that the "image" action makes the problem worse or is the actual culprit. I couldn't really replicate the bug without changing the image constantly. Maybe it was just luck, though.
seraph0x
Administrator
Administrator

Post by seraph0x »

Yeah, the scrolling has been very hard to get right. I've already spent so much time tweaking that feature and it still gets desynced.

So I spent today rewriting most of the scrolling logic one more time. Hopefully that'll fix some of the bugs and not introduce too many new ones. Give it a try and let me know.
Roblsforbobls wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:45 am I've found that scrolling up was the surest way to break automatic scrolling.
Well, that part is intentional - if the user scrolls up, presumably they are trying to read something higher up in the log and it would be very annoying if Eos kept trying to scroll down while they were trying to read.

However, I can see that it would be confusing if the user accidentally scrolls up and doesn't notice. So in this latest version I've added some visual indicators to show that you're in manual scroll mode. Basically, a shimmer will appear at the bottom as well as an arrow in the bottom right corner. If you click the arrow, it'll scroll back down and re-enter auto mode.
MisterFlames
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by MisterFlames »

Thank you seraph0x. I haven't had any issues during my brief tests of the new scrolling.
Roblsforbobls
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Roblsforbobls »

seraph0x wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:08 am However, I can see that it would be confusing if the user accidentally scrolls up and doesn't notice. So in this latest version I've added some visual indicators to show that you're in manual scroll mode. Basically, a shimmer will appear at the bottom as well as an arrow in the bottom right corner. If you click the arrow, it'll scroll back down and re-enter auto mode.
Thank you seraph0x! I loaded a couple Eos teases and tried scrolling up to see the new visual indicators and arrow, but I didn't see them. Maybe Eos hasn't updated yet?
seraph0x
Administrator
Administrator

Post by seraph0x »

Roblsforbobls wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:54 pm Thank you seraph0x! I loaded a couple Eos teases and tried scrolling up to see the new visual indicators and arrow, but I didn't see them. Maybe Eos hasn't updated yet?
You may have to reload the page once or twice to force your browser to load the latest version of the Eos viewer.
Roblsforbobls
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Roblsforbobls »

seraph0x wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:43 am You may have to reload the page once or twice to force your browser to load the latest version of the Eos viewer.
Clearing my browser's cache allowed it to update. I like the visual cue and the arrow! The bug with automatic scrolling seems to be fixed now; if you scroll up and scroll back down to the bottom, the text will continue to scroll. This works on mobile and desktop Chrome.

Clicking the arrow, while bringing you back to the most recent text, does not re-enable automatic scrolling. It's not a huge deal though, because you can still scroll down to re-enable it. Thank you for your work on this! :-D
seraph0x
Administrator
Administrator

Post by seraph0x »

Roblsforbobls wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:09 amClicking the arrow, while bringing you back to the most recent text, does not re-enable automatic scrolling.
Oops, fixed. :innocent:

Roblsforbobls wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:09 amThank you for your work on this! :-D
Happy to help. Thanks for the feedback! :smile:
undeniable_denial
Explorer
Explorer

Re: [Solved] EOS - "Choice" action bug (doesn't scroll sometimes)

Post by undeniable_denial »

Thanks a lot, seraph0x. This is great news!