EOS audio issues in Firefox on Android

Post all technical issues and questions here. We'll gladly help you wherever we can.
fapnip
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

EOS audio issues in Firefox on Android

Post by fapnip »

Having some trouble figuring out the trick to getting audio to work correctly in FireFox on Android when writing EOS teases.

Seems to work as expected in my first tease (Be Nice or Else), but in FapJack, the beat sounds eventually work, but are apparently muted for around the first 30 seconds or so.

I pre-load the beat sounds in very similar ways on both teases. I'd like to figure out what I'm doing wrong in FapJack so I can correct the issue before I release any new teases.

(Beat sounds iOS, Safari, Chrome, all seems to be working correctly in both teases. Please let me know if it's not.)
Bandit224
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Straight

Re: EOS audio issues in Firefox on Android

Post by Bandit224 »

It works fine for me, but I am using Firefox on a PC. Try checking your settings on FapJack. I noticed that after changing the settings of the beat volume to max it worked fine.
fapnip
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by fapnip »

Bandit224 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 4:37 am It works fine for me, but I am using Firefox on a PC.
Yes, FapJack should work perfectly on FireFox/PC. It's FireFox/Android that I'm having trouble with.
Bandit224 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 4:37 am Try checking your settings on FapJack.
Thanks. Just to clarify, I'm the author of FapJack. I'm trying to correct the issue it has with FireFox/Android. I've tried multiple default volume levels, all to no avail.
Roblsforbobls
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
I am a: Switch

Post by Roblsforbobls »

fapnip wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 8:42 pm Having some trouble figuring out the trick to getting audio to work correctly in FireFox on Android when writing EOS teases.

Seems to work as expected in my first tease (Be Nice or Else), but in FapJack, the beat sounds eventually work, but are apparently muted for around the first 30 seconds or so.

I pre-load the beat sounds in very similar ways on both teases. I'd like to figure out what I'm doing wrong in FapJack so I can correct the issue before I release any new teases.

(Beat sounds iOS, Safari, Chrome, all seems to be working correctly in both teases. Please let me know if it's not.)
Interesting that this only happens on Android Firefox... I fiddled around with it myself and had the same issue, but I noticed a few things about the delay. First, the delay time starts when you get to the first page - if you wait there for like 10 seconds before going to the section with the metronome, it'll play the audio immediately as expected. Second, the delay occurs on your Be Nice tease as well, though it's a shorter delay (the only way to notice it is if you click through the text and answer the Choice action as fast as you can). I'm led to believe the preloading process is being delayed by something, and since Fapjack is much more complex by the way of amount of code it has to run (I'm assuming anyways), maybe that is why there is a longer delay? Is the issue fixed if you use a metronome that isn't preloaded? Is there any way to make the preloading occur earlier in the tease (might not help very much if it is in the initial script section)?
fapnip
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by fapnip »

Roblsforbobls wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 4:55 pm the delay occurs on your Be Nice tease as well, though it's a shorter delay (the only way to notice it is if you click through the text and answer the Choice action as fast as you can). I'm led to believe the preloading process is being delayed by something, and since Fapjack is much more complex by the way of amount of code it has to run (I'm assuming anyways), maybe that is why there is a longer delay?
I'm glad you were able to replicate it in Be Nice or Else! Gives me something to go on! Thank you!

I do load about twice as many audio files in FapJack as I do in Be Nice or Else. Early on, I did try reducing the number of audio files and setting the ones I use sooner as the first loaded, but that didn't seem to help at the time. Perhaps I was mistakenly running the wrong branch on FireFox when I was testing? Wouldn't be the first time I did something like that. I'll need to experiment more with this, and go through the work of getting remote debugging up and running on FireFox/Android again.
Roblsforbobls wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 4:55 pm Is there any way to make the preloading occur earlier in the tease (might not help very much if it is in the initial script section)?
The pre-loading occurs right in the start. Loads and stops the files while saying "Welcome", then plays/stops them after clicking any of the initial options for devices that need user interaction to authenticate HTML5 audio. About as early in the game as I can do it.

Perhaps it would help if I pre-load half (the files I'm more likely to use early on) on the initial start page, then the other half on the "Get ready to Stroke" prompt page? (Though I do currently skip the get-ready to stroke page on game resume, so I'd need to figure something out there.)

Looks EOS also has a "play" event for sounds objects. I probably should experiment with that to see if that event triggers on firefox when the audio actually starts to play, or if it just triggers when I call the play() method.
Roblsforbobls
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
I am a: Switch

Post by Roblsforbobls »

fapnip wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 5:45 pm Early on, I did try reducing the number of audio files and setting the ones I use sooner as the first loaded, but that didn't seem to help at the time.

Perhaps it would help if I pre-load half (the files I'm more likely to use early on) on the initial start page, then the other half on the "Get ready to Stroke" prompt page? (Though I do currently skip the get-ready to stroke page on game resume, so I'd need to figure something out there.)
I think that might help. Loading less things at once could put less strain on the system and allow the audio files to be called earlier. Then again if the player advances to that second 'get ready to stroke' page very quickly, maybe it wouldn't help as much. It's worth a try at least!
fapnip wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 5:45 pm Looks EOS also has a "play" event for sounds objects. I probably should experiment with that to see if that event triggers on firefox when the audio actually starts to play, or if it just triggers when I call the play() method.
In my experience, events like that are emitted regardless of how they get triggered, so I would expect the same to be true for the "play" event. I've never used that one before though, so not 100% sure.
With experimenting with audio events (and I discussed this briefly on my last forum post as well), I've learned that it takes at least 1 ms for the system to respond to an emitted event.
For ex: previously I set up a listener for music to stop playing, which would then let x = Date.now(). On a later page, in one eval action I stopped the music and then immediately tried setting a notification title = x, but the notification was always set to 0. Despite that, a Say action would still display the right value for x. The notification only showed the right value of x when I separated the eval action into two different evals. The first eval action stopped the music, then I had a timer for 1 ms, then a second eval action changed the notification title to x.