Denial and sleep

This is the place for general discussions on fetishes, sexuality and anything else. What's on your mind right now?
itslate
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Straight

Denial and sleep

Post by itslate »

Hey guys,

I'm not really used to denying myself but I started to do that so I can edge better. But now, after a week of no orgasm and a lot of daily edging, I find I'm having trouble sleeping through the night and am tired a lot. I also have some real life issues that might factor in, though.

I realize I could just have some orgasms now and see for myself if I sleep better, but I don't want to. So my question is:

Does anyone else have trouble sleeping when being in denial and edging a lot?

andy wood
Explorer
Explorer
I am a: Switch
Dom/me(s): none currently (see "About Me")
Sub/Slave(s): none currently (see "About Me")

Re: Denial and sleep

Post by andy wood »

itslate,

Yes. I am a switch, and when I am submitting, I enjoy tease and denial and orgasm control.

I currently belong to Quiet Linda, and she has me edge frequently and cum rarely. It can be frustrating at times.

Also, a few weeks ago, I submitted to a different domme, who had me under "no touch" orgasm control for about a week. Not only was I not allowed to cum, I was not allowed to edge, or even to stroke at all. I was also mentally teased by PM messages, and by being told to view certain videos. I both loved and hated the sexual frustration that I felt for that week. It was affecting my daily life, making me sleepless at night, and both tired and preoccupied at work. Looking back on that time, I think I went a bit crazy.

I suppose that almost any pleasure, taken to excess, can be a harmful addiction. I think that right now with Quiet Linda, I have a "Goldilocks" level of sexual denial (not too much or too little).

Good luck with finding your own Goldilocks level of frustration.
"The savage bows down to idols of wood and stone; the civilized man, to idols of flesh and blood." - George Bernard Shaw

"Before you fall for someone, be sure they are willing and able to catch you." - me
jackstock
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
I am a: None of the above

Post by jackstock »

You have to vent that sexual energy
Teaser
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
I am a: Dom (Male)
Dom/me(s): none
Sub/Slave(s): none at the moment.

Post by Teaser »

No, I never noticed denial negatively affecting sleep. However, "some real life issues" factor in very heavily for me, especially trouble at work or health concerns in my closer family. So I would start looking into those other issues instead of denial and fix them, if possible at all.
hornbound
Explorer
Explorer

Post by hornbound »

Honestly, yes, there have been nights where after many days of denial I would be restless on a work night and find that I just kept thinking about cranking one out in order to fall asleep.

At that point I figure "fuck it, T&D is a fantasy I use for FUN, and if I can't sleep then it ain't fun," and I just go ahead and get off so I can fall asleep.

Having said that, if "other issues" in life are causing you lots of stress then they probably have more to do with your sleep distress than mere horniness.
SexualChoc
Chat Moderator

Post by SexualChoc »

orgasm denial is just that.. denying something you need, and want
this adds stress to your life and body
If you do not have good stress relief built in, it can easily affect your sleep paterns.
remember the first rule, Real life is most important
If you are expierencing trouble at work/school/or wherever
go back to orgasms for a bit.. I know.. I am a BIG denial fan.
What I recomd is that you work on finding Other kinds of stress relief, and build them into your day
diffrent things work for diffrent people
Suggestions
Exercise-works well for people whit a lot of energy
meditation/prayer/art drawing/reading - works well for quite types
Spending time in nature, even in bad weather- can work for both types
Laugh- cheer yourself up with something funny, tv show, cartoons, whatever.

Do what works for you daily
and then try the denial..again.

I have found that afew people that visit this site, need to keep orgasm denial as a fantasy
if you try several stress relief technics, and perhaps even talk to a therapist.
and sitill can on function because of lack of sleep..
then you may be one of those who justneeds to keep it a fantasy.

I do hope you keep trying though
denial lifestyle is a lot of fun.
all2true
is my other profile. see my chastity belt link :
http://www.milovana.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16#p139016
Rocky69
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Rocky69 »

try taking melatonin (an herb you can get over the counter) about 15-30 mins before you want to go to bed... it is a natural way to make you sleepy! :)
SexualChoc
Chat Moderator

Post by SexualChoc »

Rocky69 wrote:try taking melatonin (an herb you can get over the counter) about 15-30 mins before you want to go to bed... it is a natural way to make you sleepy! :)
:unsure:
I do NOT recomend taking medication without consulting a doctor
it does have side effects...
all2true
is my other profile. see my chastity belt link :
http://www.milovana.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16#p139016
Rocky69
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Rocky69 »

Melatonin is an OVER-THE-COUNTER NON-PRESCRIPTION **HERB**... it is NOT A DRUG or a MEDICINE!
and if you are having trouble sleeping it is an herb that is made to help you go to sleep...
one would be better to warn against drinking coffee or eating chocolate or drinking soft drinks to help stay awake.. since all of those ARE drugs (caffeine)! :)
PS - i can't help but find great humor in the idea that a website that has installments which often suggest a person take actions that can cause permanent damage, both physically and psychologically, would have a problem with someone recommending an herb to help one go to sleep... :)
Last edited by Rocky69 on Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
itslate
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by itslate »

I wake up a bit in my sleep after REM phases, turn, and sleep again almost instantly.
But at the moment, I sometimes get such a huge erection that I'm having trouble falling asleep again.
I'm guessing it's a mixture of real life issues and denial.

I know real life comes first. It's just that it would really suck if I can't go on denial without it interrupting my sleep. I won't have to be at my A game this weekend, but if it hasn't gotten better, I'll just stop the denial on Sunday.

Thanks for your input up until now. Keep it coming :)
itslate
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by itslate »

Well, it was definetly at least partially about the denial.

I now could finally sleep through a night. It helps if you aren't rock hard whenever you wake up a little bit... :(

This really sucks for me, because denial helps me edge more and is just really fun. Like andy said, I'll have to try and find the goldilocks level.
hornbound
Explorer
Explorer

Post by hornbound »

Rocky69 wrote:Melatonin is an OVER-THE-COUNTER NON-PRESCRIPTION **HERB**... it is NOT A DRUG or a MEDICINE!
and if you are having trouble sleeping it is an herb that is made to help you go to sleep...
one would be better to warn against drinking coffee or eating chocolate or drinking soft drinks to help stay awake.. since all of those ARE drugs (caffeine)! :)
PS - i can't help but find great humor in the idea that a website that has installments which often suggest a person take actions that can cause permanent damage, both physically and psychologically, would have a problem with someone recommending an herb to help one go to sleep... :)
Melatonin is not an herb, it is a hormone that many living things produce naturally.

"Melatonin (Listeni/ˌmɛləˈtoʊnɪn/), chemically N-acetyl-5-methoxytryptamine,[1] is a hormone found in animals, plants, fungi and bacteria in anticipation of the daily onset of darkness.[2] "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin

Of course as the description says it is found in many plants, so you can increase the amount of it in your system by eating these plants, which would qualify as an herbal remedy. However, the stuff you buy AFAIK is extracted and concentrated. It is classified by the US government as a "dietary supplement," but please note that when we take other hormones for medicinal purposes we generally call them drugs, ie taking extra testosterone is a "performance enhancing drug."

I do agree with you though that there is basically no downside to taking some melatonin if you can't sleep, and I think that because this is what the current research has concluded:

Sleep disorders

"A 2004 review found that "there was no evidence that melatonin had an effect on sleep onset latency or sleep efficiency" in people suffering from sleep restriction, such as from shift work and rapid transmeridian travel, while it did decrease sleep onset latency in people with a primary sleep disorder and it increased sleep efficiency in people with a secondary sleep disorder.[30]

Short and long term treatment of prolonged-release melatonin was found to be effective and safe, improving sleep latency, sleep quality and daytime alertness in insomnia patients.[77]"
AndySub
Explorer
Explorer
I am a: Submissive

Post by AndySub »

It does affect me that way too. Often I find myself going to sleep around 1am only to wake up at 2am and not be able to get back to sleep.

I seem to be doing better with that now though since starting to do yoga every day and getting more exercise. This is all Miss Linda inspired, she's encouraging her girls to maintain a fit and healthy lifestyle :-D

As far as melatonin goes you can bolster your levels of that by drinking cherry juice or eating cherries or walnuts (and many other food stuffs). I prefer cherry juice myself and that's helped too. I'm actually tired at bed time and tend to sleep for around 6-8 hours a night.

No need to fear the melatonin, although, I prefer the melatonin rich foods to the supplements personally.

Sleep well !