Chat - time to cut losses?

Post all technical issues and questions here. We'll gladly help you wherever we can.
ronin
Explorer
Explorer
I am a: None of the above

Re: Chat - time to cut losses?

Post by ronin »

Tashi wrote:"nonsensical drivel and opinions"

that certainly encapsulates every word you wrote.

This isn't just JAQing off on your part, there appears to me a deeper motivation. You've literally brushed off every single point where people said "This is volunteer. If you would like something, actually go through with it".

There is nothing stopping you from accomplishing the things you've proposed the chat can be used for. Everything else you complain about the chat (Interface, etc) would literally make it an even bigger drain on resources for the site.
Good point. I might give that some more thought and see what I can come up with. But it doesn't address the dozens, if not hundreds of posts across multiple threads as to the many times the chat has been screwed up in one way or another. And thats my main motivation. I see where theres been post after post of chat not being available for one reason or another - if it's broke, fix it. I don't understand why its allowed to go on the way it is.
Tashi
Explorer
Explorer
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual/Bi-Curious
I am a: Switch
Dom/me(s): My Goddess, the Queen of my Soul
Sub/Slave(s): http://tashilicious.tumblr.com/post/150 ... okers-here

No slaves, but I'd love for a wanker to play this

Post by Tashi »

Because it's a simple fix of "person with access turning the right button on".

And fixing it more permanently would cost money and time that is not avaible.
Banquo
Experimentor
Experimentor
Sexual Orientation: Straight

Post by Banquo »

ronin wrote:I see where theres been post after post of chat not being available for one reason or another - if it's broke, fix it. I don't understand why its allowed to go on the way it is.

Well that's a little further away from your original argument of "chat is a drain on the resources" isn't it now. I guess what you're suggesting overall is that the site devote yet more resources to it.

Sure it breaks down a lot, but as has been pointed out to you, several times, it's relatively easy to put right. Unlike the previous flashchat, which I have been told was a bitch to get going when it broke down, and one would assume was a much bigger drain on the resources of the site.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars - Oscar Wilde

My Webteases
Chastity Captions
ronin
Explorer
Explorer
I am a: None of the above

Post by ronin »

Only to a certain extent. Whats so irritating about it to me is as a lurker, I see the "coming soon" features - and they've been there for a while. I read about this new tease generator that's supposed to replace the Flash tease builder. And yet none of these features are being implemented. I know progress takes time, but come on. Chat apparently was making some pretty decent progress and then it all just stops, and now its shown to be unstable. So yeah, it looks like some haphazard attempt to put something up just to say its there, rather than taking the extra time to make it genuinely useable.
Dream_On
Chat Moderator

Post by Dream_On »

Offer to help make these other features happen if they are so important to you.
DoxysTurtle
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
I am a: Submissive

Post by DoxysTurtle »

As I have no real horse in this race or interest in participating further in this discussion, I'm going to break down the few points I feel worth mentioning/correcting, as you clearly took the time to read through my post and put thought into your response, but I have no plan to continue a discussion.
ronin wrote:
There are other sites that have better chatrooms, that are more stable, and more user friendly than this one. You cannot disagree with this, if you've spent any time at all on the internet. Does it work, yes. Does it work well? Arguable. It serves a vital role, but it has no aesthetics to speak of - it doesn't tie into the site theme at all. It crashes on average, once per week. Your argument is akin to arguing that a plate glass window can stop a bullet. Yes, it can, but it's not exactly the best option, is it?
I've spent a fair amount of time on the internet. I can agree there's both better and worse. If specifically speaking at to the aesthetics of the webclient being provided, I don't care to weigh in. Your comment about integration with the site theme is that it's something that Seraph0x chose not to do, not that the client being used is incapable of doing, nor do all agree (I remember comments in a different thread praising the lack of sidebars and it's plained looks for being easier to "hide" as a normal window). The great part about the current choice is if you don't like it, you can use a different client and get the aesthetics you want. As far as I know, there's no current client restrictions for connecting.
Great - so, there's no active development of the chat system, meaning there are no regular updates, bug fixes, improvements, or any other work being done to improve a flawed system.
We're running on two different pieces of software that are open source and regularly maintained and updated, A web-based client and an XMPP Server. Our current installations of both, including all plugins, are being actively updated still as patches/security fixes/etc come along. While there's no one currently developing any files or code to provide tighter integration or add features specifically for us, this does not mean that the software isn't being maintained for the current installs to stay up to date.

And on those two notes, I'm unsubscribing from the thread. Have fun and play nice everyone
princesscutie
Chat Moderator

Post by princesscutie »

No one else seems to agree that we don't need chat. Just an observation :rolleyes:
ronin wrote: nonsensical drivel or opinions.
I tried really hard to make some sense, and I was ignored :weep:
Not looking for a sub/slave. Please dont ask.

I am not a human who likes to imitate a Kitten, I am a kitten who sadly has to imitate a human sometimes.

"It is fascinated by moving objects, and chases them. It is known to chase its own tail and become dizzy from it. Although it can be difficult to earn its trust, it is very popular due to its adorable looks and behavior."
fearghas
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Dom/me(s): She's out there, somewhere. Maybe.

Post by fearghas »

Hi everybody

So, the many threads regarding chat problems seem to have died down quite a bit, which leaves me wondering if the trouble I'm having with chat is my problem and not the site's. I haven't been able to even get chat to open for two weeks. Is it gone, or do I have a problem on my end?

thanks.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."
- Marion Morrison
dr.d
Experimentor
Experimentor
I am a: Dom (Male)

Post by dr.d »

I have bad news and worse news ....the bad news is that what ever problem your having is on your end , I just left the chat room and it is working fine .

the worse news is that I have no idea how to help you , before I switched to mozilla firefox I had problems getting the chat to work , but I have no clue if you have the problem that I had , I wish I could be more helpful
She is the Angel that dances in my heart
princesscutie
Chat Moderator

Post by princesscutie »

fearghas wrote:Hi everybody

So, the many threads regarding chat problems seem to have died down quite a bit, which leaves me wondering if the trouble I'm having with chat is my problem and not the site's. I haven't been able to even get chat to open for two weeks. Is it gone, or do I have a problem on my end?

thanks.
It s your end, which is sad :weep:
Not looking for a sub/slave. Please dont ask.

I am not a human who likes to imitate a Kitten, I am a kitten who sadly has to imitate a human sometimes.

"It is fascinated by moving objects, and chases them. It is known to chase its own tail and become dizzy from it. Although it can be difficult to earn its trust, it is very popular due to its adorable looks and behavior."
Dream_On
Chat Moderator

Post by Dream_On »

Fearghas please elaborate on your problem if you can. Chat is up and has been for most of the time you have been having issues. How are you accessing chat? Through the milo website or through a client? If through the website which browser are you using? Have you tried other browsers? If through a client which one are you using?
fearghas
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Dom/me(s): She's out there, somewhere. Maybe.

Post by fearghas »

dr.d, princesscutie, thank you for your responses.

I'm running IE and was trying through the site. I thought I would try it one more time before replying on this thread, then got the brilliant idea to hit the compatibility view and bang goes the dynamite now it's working. again, thanks all for trying to help!
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."
- Marion Morrison