A tease should autoatmically have a forum topic

Do you think Milovana.com is perfect in every way? Hopefully not, so what can we do to improve? Every idea, suggestion or criticism is highly appreciated.
Afostar
Explorer
Explorer

A tease should autoatmically have a forum topic

Post by Afostar »

I think it'd be good that when a tease is posted it automatically gets a forum post, and to include that in the tease (at the rating bar for example). This way there always is a thread for a tease where people can easily give feedback and discuss it.

Perhaps a sub-forum would be good so as not to spam one of the main forums?
jlx666
Explorer
Explorer

Re: A tease should autoatmically have a forum topic

Post by jlx666 »

I think thats a great idea, that I think isn't that hard to implement, simply write a couple of lines code for creating threads, add a Tease-Reference-ID into the forum thread table and vise-versa Thread-ID into Tease table so they are linked to each other, but without knowing details of this forum I assume there could be a following problem:

Let's say I crated a tease and a forum topic is created as well. Then I want to delete my tease, so to automatically delete to forum thread I need to have permissons to do that, and I think users can't delete their own threads if there is at least one answer. that's what I have on my forum for example. But if I delete my tease but can't delete the thread - my thread would be linked with "nothing" and that (even if it was made possible by using non-strict table references) is a problem. At least because the rating that you mentioned would show undefined value or something like that.

I hope people understand what I mean by what I wrote. Kinda too tired to think clearly in foreign language. Sorry.
Bandit224
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Straight

Post by Bandit224 »

jlx666 is correct. Another issue would be the fact that spam teases (i.e. Looking for real-life dominatrix "tease") would also spam our forums. Other than that, I think it's an awesome idea.
cactusman
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by cactusman »

I'm not opposed, but it's not hard to create a feedback thread when post a new tease by hand. Perhaps the skills of the admins could be better used elsewhere, for example in improving search, which is much more tedious to do without automation.
seraph0x
Administrator
Administrator

Post by seraph0x »

Hmm, I think if we did that there would be a lot of empty feedback threads with no feedback. To some extent you already eluded to that when you said:
Afostar wrote:Perhaps a sub-forum would be good so as not to spam one of the main forums?
If I'm an author who wants feedback, I can pretty easily start a thread. And if there isn't an ocean of other feedback threads in a segregated sub-forum for it to disappear in, I actually have a pretty good chance of getting a response. So I like the fact that as an author I can put in a little extra effort if I want the reward of getting feedback. And as a user I know when an author is specifically looking for guidance. At the same time I can give my opinion on a tease whose author didn't ask for feedback as well - just start a thread myself.

That said, I do agree that teases and their feedback threads should be linked somehow, so that you can click a feedback button on the tease and be taken directly to the corresponding thread or a page where you can create one. I've just never quite had the time to set it up.

Thanks for the suggestion! :-)

Further discussion is most welcome, but I don't have a concrete plan to work on major site features until the new interactive tease system is at least in public beta status.
Afostar
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Afostar »

seraph0x wrote:That said, I do agree that teases and their feedback threads should be linked somehow, so that you can click a feedback button on the tease and be taken directly to the corresponding thread or a page where you can create one. I've just never quite had the time to set it up.

Thanks for the suggestion! :-)
That should be fine too, I just noticed that someone earlier mentioned that he wasn't sure if he even should start a feedback thread on his own tease.

Maybe at the point of submitting the tease also have a "Start a thread" input box like the one I am typing in now, which would then post the tease, create the forum post, and link the two.

I mostly suggested it for the direct link to the feedback thread, since I think that'd add a lot of feedback. The "tedium" of looking for a feedback thread and then starting one if there is none is probably putting off a lot of people from providing feedback, especially since the threads seem dispersed over various forums.

My reason for suggesting a sub-forum is that I'd expect most traffic to that forum would come from the link in the tease itself, which also makes the spam teases less of a problem since they'd be in the sub-forum that doesn't get that much direct "browse" traffic.