How to react to forum spam

This is the place for general discussions on fetishes, sexuality and anything else. What's on your mind right now?
seraph0x
Administrator
Administrator

How to react to forum spam

Post by seraph0x »

If you see a spam message, please do not reply to it. Spam messages with replies cause our admins a lot more work, because after we delete the spammer and all their posts (which takes two clicks) we have to manually go in and delete the left-over responses. So please don't reply to spammers.

So what to do instead? There is a report function in the top right corner of every post. It's a triangle with a little exclamation mark in it. If you click that you can report the post as spam and it'll pop out for any moderator looking at the forum. Please make sure the post is actually spam though, false reports again cause annoyance for our mods.

Thanks for the help! I'm currently working on new spam filters which should be in place by Monday. :-)
drippydick
Explorer
Explorer

Re: How to react to forum spam

Post by drippydick »

thank you I had no idea what to do about what appeared to be spam. :wave:
i am single i would like to be teased and humiliated in real life
impulse321
Explorer
Explorer

Post by impulse321 »

Thanks for pointing this out tool out; I'll start marking the spam posts.
[growls at spammers....]

Note that these "spam reporting" buttons only seem to appear (for me, at least) when logged in.
(that actually makes good sense, now that I think about it.)
seraph0x
Administrator
Administrator

Post by seraph0x »

impulse321 wrote:Note that these "spam reporting" buttons only seem to appear (for me, at least) when logged in.
(that actually makes good sense, now that I think about it.)
Yes, thanks for pointing that out. Only registered users can post reports!

Would be a bit ironic if we got a spam report spam problem. :-P
ordered
Explorer
Explorer

Post by ordered »

Thanks for taking care of that recent onslaught of spam. I'm glad you guys make a differentiation between straight-up spam and some of my postings that aren't always very popular. I hope by now you've seen that I'm a real person, and even though my thoughts are often off-topic for this site, I'm just sharing my heartsongs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPLYykClBXw

I wanted to embed that vid, but I either can't figure out or just can't do it. It's a bunch of hippies singing.
Little Miss Jay
Experimentor
Experimentor
Sexual Orientation: Straight
I am a: Domme (Female)

Post by Little Miss Jay »

Hi,

I know you admin guys work very hard keeping this site going and spam free but today and last night seen 20+ spam threads posted.
Some of the stuff is quite offensive to people, and if someone innocently clicks on it not knowing if it is spam- it can be quite daunting...

As I said, I know you guys do a lot to try to prevent these things from happening but I think something needs to be looked at regarding this.

Thanks for your attention and thank you for keeping Milovana going! :-)

Little Miss Jay x
gwendolyn
Curious Newbie
Curious Newbie

Post by gwendolyn »

Indigo wrote:Please please, please can't you implement some sort of simple "captcha" image prior to posting like this,
A javascript based hashcash might be a less obtrusive solution for a lot of people, it's basically a brute force script that calculates a value that proves your computer spent time creating the post. Most bots don't run javascript so they just send blank codes which can be dumped in the spam bin and the ones that do run it still get slowed down by quite a bit. (there's a plugin for wordpress for this, not sure about phpbb)
green
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Open to new ideas!
I am a: Switch

Post by green »

gwendolyn wrote:
Indigo wrote:Please please, please can't you implement some sort of simple "captcha" image prior to posting like this,
A javascript based hashcash might be a less obtrusive solution for a lot of people, it's basically a brute force script that calculates a value that proves your computer spent time creating the post. Most bots don't run javascript so they just send blank codes which can be dumped in the spam bin and the ones that do run it still get slowed down by quite a bit. (there's a plugin for wordpress for this, not sure about phpbb)
Hmmn. I don't think thats a good solution. You can check which data is being sent to the server nontheless, so you would just generate the formfield your java-script usually generates "manually", and send your timecode with the rest of the code.

So this may stop some bots, but it would be still possible to mass-spam, when you alter your bot or write a new one.

Good Captchas are probably the only safe solution. But Captches are not quite userfriendly. And when they are "good" they are often hard to read, and so they can easily become a usability-killer.

Email Verification, before an account can create posts, and using blacklists of "bot-mail-provider" may be a good solution though.

Hmnnn...

// Oh, and welcome to the forums!! :-)
You can own the earth and still - All you'll own is earth until
You can paint with all the colors of the wind
tslut
Explorer
Explorer

Post by tslut »

In addition to not replying, it's a bad idea to click a spam link directly (if you must click at all). When you click a link here, the other site can record which sites it is receiving clicks from. You can get around this (e.g. to verify that a link is spam) by copying the link URL into a new tab.
LickHerToo
Curious Newbie
Curious Newbie

Post by LickHerToo »

I just wish the site-Admin would add a button for under age material in the Teaser. It is just something to thing about. And it show that we do not approve of that type of material. Slave by choice is different then slave by abuse of adult to a minor. Lets make an oath we do not accept that type of material in cyber or in real life.
May we all agree. REPORT ABUSE OF MINORS.

Thank you, Mature FREE male, waiting for the day I surrender my dick. LOL Well I still wake up form that dream. ALONE!!!

Be safe
LickHerToo
prakash
Curious Newbie
Curious Newbie

Re: How to react to forum spam good

Post by prakash »

seraph0x wrote:If you see a spam message, please do not reply to it. Spam messages with replies cause our admins a lot more work, because after we delete the spammer and all their posts (which takes two clicks) we have to manually go in and delete the left-over responses. So please don't reply to spammers.

So what to do instead? There is a report function in the top right corner of every post. It's a triangle with a little exclamation mark in it. If you click that you can report the post as spam and it'll pop out for any moderator looking at the forum. Please make sure the post is actually spam though, false reports again cause annoyance for our mods.

Thanks for the help! I'm currently working on new spam filters which should be in place by Monday. :-)
:-) you are precisely right eventhen many emails being received to many innocents and without their knowing,they are getting victimised
dubble
Experimentor
Experimentor
I am a: Submissive

Post by dubble »

*Wonders if emailing the spammers is any different than replying to their spam* Of course, how many of them are going to use their real email address when they create their profile here? But it would be cool to inundate them with hateful emails... if they would be that stupid. Those fuckers piss me off! I believe in Karma. :yes:
Current SitRep: Chilling. Life is good.

Varium et mutabile semper femina
les
Experimentor
Experimentor
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual/Bi-Curious
I am a: Dom (Male)
Sub/Slave(s): My serfs
All 2 True is head Serf

Post by les »

Dear Seraph0x et al,

As I view every post that appears in the forum.
several times a day.
I am willing,
if the facility is available,
To suspend suspicious posts/posters for an Admin's final decision.

                                          Lord Les
                                 Be careful what you wish for!

Growing OLD Is Inevitable,
          But Growing UP... Is Optional
                    OR
                              Why do I have to stop being a KID now I can afford it.

                                
                                                                                                                                                   
dubble
Experimentor
Experimentor
I am a: Submissive

Post by dubble »

les wrote:
Dear Seraph0x et al,

several times a day.
I am willing,

That would be AWESOME! I vote for that so you can delete accounts like this dipshit: Fribeligroono

I'm praying for hell to rain down upon this spam-filled loser! Annoying for sure! :spam: :chop: :hang: :judge: :shoot2: :guns: :chair:

Of course maybe some of you computer whizz types can just send/email him something malicious... :whistle: ;-) to fix his 'little red wagon'... as they say! :lol: Well, I can dream, right? *considers hiring a mercenary*
Current SitRep: Chilling. Life is good.

Varium et mutabile semper femina
les
Experimentor
Experimentor
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual/Bi-Curious
I am a: Dom (Male)
Sub/Slave(s): My serfs
All 2 True is head Serf

Post by les »

dubble wrote:
les wrote:
Dear Seraph0x et al,

several times a day.
I am willing,

That would be AWESOME! I vote for that so you can delete accounts like this dipshit: Fribeligroono

I'm praying for hell to rain down upon this spam-filled loser! Annoying for sure! :spam: :chop: :hang: :judge: :shoot2: :guns: :chair:

Of course maybe some of you computer whizz types can just send/email him something malicious... :whistle: ;-) to fix his 'little red wagon'... as they say! :lol: Well, I can dream, right? *considers hiring a mercenary*

Dearest dubble,
*Happy Hugs*

If we just do as you suggest we would be in "dubble Tribble" *Chuckles*.
Seraph0x has explained to me that an awful lot of them those "Varmits" are cut off at the pass.

I do thank you for your vote of confidence. :yes: *Kinky Kisses*

                                          Lord Les
                                 Be careful what you wish for!

Growing OLD Is Inevitable,
          But Growing UP... Is Optional
                    OR
                              Why do I have to stop being a KID now I can afford it.