Eos Editor Preview - Milovana's new interactive webtease editor

You can find important news and current events here.
RemiHiyama
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
I am a: Switch

Re: Eos Editor Preview - Milovana's new interactive webtease editor

Post by RemiHiyama »

Are eval tags supposed to work in the labels of choice actions? I'm getting some weird behavior, but my best guess is that it's evaluating once and then showing the same thing every time the page is shown after that. Which isn't great since the point of the eval is to have dynamic text on the buttons.
Auto: Replaces selected instances of the word "not" with the word "definitely".
astonia
Explorer
Explorer

Post by astonia »

I've been playing around in the EOS editor and it's very cool. I'm a programmer, so I like the built in javascript capabilities. I have a bunch of ideas that I think would enhance the editor even further. I also found a few problems that would be nice to get fixed. I see there's a github project for issues, but it doesn't look like it's being actively used, so I'll list them here for now.

Issues:
  • Code Editor - In any page that shows the javascript code editor, the displayed cursor position doesn't match where the actual cursor is. I think there's something wrong with the web font used in the editor. I'm using Firefox 67.0.4. Right now I pretty much have to copy and paste the code into an external editor because the built in editor is unusable in this state.
  • Upload to Gallery - Only jpeg allowed, but the file browser opens with *.* filename filter
  • Notification - Notification.get behaves strangely. If the notification is not yet added, Notification.get doesn't return an object which is expected. When the notification is added and being displayed, Notification.get returns the notification as expected. However, after the notification has been clicked, and the notification is not longer shown, Notification.get still returns the notification object. That might make sense if there were a Notification.show or Notification.hide and a way to get the current visibility of the notification. As it is now, IMO, it should only return an object when the notification is actually on screen.
Features - Roughly in descending order of how awesome it would be to have them:
  • Javscript errors - It's pretty difficult to find code errors without resorting to lots of console.log statements. Right now when a code error occurs the browser console just displays a cryptic error that doesn't pinpoint the cause. It would be good if that could be improved to maybe output the statement where the error occurred.
  • Allow .js includes - I have lots of javascript objects and the init script is unwieldy. It would be great to allow uploading .js files to the project and then including them.
  • Allow png and gif images.
  • Say Action - Create from code (not just the text, but an entire bubble) (font size / color / background color)
  • Page Labels - Basically an "Action" on a page that doesn't do anything other than being a placeholder with a unique name. Then you can use pages.goto('pagename:label') to jump to that label within a page.
  • Notification - Create/Remove from within code
  • Change the background color. Is there a way to currently do this? I didn't see one.
  • Allow background image
  • Allow changing text position
  • Allow changing color of text within Choice buttons. I can add a <span> but style="color:#ff0000;" doesn't change the color.
  • Image object - There's a Sound object to play sounds from code, let's have an Image object to change images from code.
  • Image Action - Allow eval for image file name
  • Image Action - Allow clearing displayed image. I want a help page that can be opened up any time, but want to clear the background to just show text. Now I could use a transparent png, but png images aren't allowed.
  • Input Field - Allow different types of validated input (text (min/max length), number (integer/float), range, date, regex, etc. ). Right now you can check the input with code, but you have to jump back to ask for the field again if there was an issue which is kind of kludgey.
  • Image Action - Gallery Image - Allow using wildcard for file name
  • Input Field - When running a tease, auto set focus on the field so you can start typing immediately. Right now you have to click the mouse within the field to start typing
  • Use Web Font that has more Unicode 6.0 symbols such as playing cards U+1F0A0–1F0FF
  • Button/Notification Labels - Allow eval within labels
  • TeaseStorage - Share saved data between scripts. There could be separate storage areas for the authors scripts, as well as everyone's scripts. Global variables like name, gender, age, etc. would be useful and the user can set them once. These global variables can be managed by EOS and read only for teases.
  • Start another tease from within your tease. When the other tease ends, it comes back to your tease where you left off. That way we can have small shared sub-teases for various common tasks.
  • Allow multiple images on the screen at the same time
  • Image Gallery - Allow users to have their own personal galleries, and a tease can pull images from it (maybe based on tags or some sort of grouping capability)
  • Web Speech API (Text to Speech). Most modern browsers have this capability now. See https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... Speech_API
  • Gallery - Allow adding jpegs from "Files" area (not just uploading new jpegs)
  • Webm / Webp support
  • Webcam support
Last edited by astonia on Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lamei
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Lamei »

Is there a limit to the amount of variables that can be used? After making 'Snakes and Lingerie' I have been writing a new maze style tease that is very complex. I have reached line 98 in the Init Script area of EOS and it is displaying an error ;

! "Too many errors. (100% scanned)."

I have checked all my variables and there are no errors. If I delete a couple of lines the error message disappears. It seems 98 lines is the limit.I estimate that I will need approximately 150 variables for the new tease. If someone could advise that would be great as I can't continue making the current tease. Thanks
Last edited by Lamei on Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RemiHiyama
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by RemiHiyama »

I've seen that message too. It's confusing because my script still seems to function, so I don't know what the issue is.
Auto: Replaces selected instances of the word "not" with the word "definitely".
xman911
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Straight

Post by xman911 »

Roblsforbobls wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:43 am
Triple Alfa wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:40 am First, about the preview code and storage. The storage does not get wiped when entering preview mode. What I would do, is for testing create a button on your start page that will reset the values. You create a function like this in your init file:

Code: Select all

function resetValues() {
teaseStorage("newPlayer", 0);
teaseStorage("myOtherValues", "relevant Values);
}
You can then call this from the button by having it do an eval action with:

resetValues();
Now you can easily reset anything to test the newPlayer/returningPlayer scenarios.
snakelinux wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:39 am 2) You should give users the ability to reset their stored variables. This is especially useful if there is a bug in your code. Setup a page that when a user clicks the button to reset it runs this function with the variable names changed to your stored variable names.
function refresh() {
teaseStorage.setItem("storedVariable1",undefined);
teaseStorage.setItem("storedVariable2",undefined);
}
I'm a novice at best when it comes to Java, so I was having the hardest time getting these codes to work to reset my stored variables. Here's my storage code:

var apple = teaseStorage.getItem("i") ||0 
apple++
teaseStorage.setItem("i", apple) 
I use Say: "apple =

apple
" to assess that the variable storage is working (it does).

By fiddling around with the solutions from previous comments and struggling to get them to work, I happened upon a working piece of code to refresh and reset stored variables:

teaseStorage.setItem("i", 0)
Note that I used "i" here because that's what I used in my stored variable code. Hopefully this helps someone!
Isn't it simpler to just make a button that makes for example "a = 0" that will reset the value of variable "a" to 0. Of course if the default number for said variable is a 100... then you put in code "a = 100" , so it gets its starting value. Basically copy your "Initializaton" values, to Re-initialize the whole thing with a button. Of course for this button to work without going anywhere it should loop to the same page. I tested it with a single variable... after clicking on the button my variable went from number 26 to 0 and then started to "accumulate" again, but it should work for any number of variables.
xman911
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by xman911 »

Lamei wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:06 am I estimate that I will need approximately 150 variables for the new tease. If someone could advise that would be great as I can't continue making the current tease. Thanks
Why would you need... 150... variables... that's just mind boggling number... are you going to make an intergalactic spaceship... and not a milovana tease. Are you sure... you need that many...

I don't think anyone needs that many variables. Are you putting a variable on every page... why do you need so many?! Even 10 variables is probably overkill for most things.

OK... maybe you need them... you can initialize more than one variable in one line by using separator ";"

here is an example.

var money = 0
var time = 0
var x = 0
Would become...

var money = 0; var time = 0; var x = 0

But I still can't imagine why you would use so many... why would you track a 150... variables... what for... does every girl have her own variable. It would be interesting 150 different girls with their own variables...

P.S. Now I looked at your Snakes and Lingerie tease... and still can't comprehend for what you would initiate this many variables.
Last edited by xman911 on Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
xman911
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by xman911 »

RemiHiyama wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:13 am Are eval tags supposed to work in the labels of choice actions? I'm getting some weird behavior, but my best guess is that it's evaluating once and then showing the same thing every time the page is shown after that. Which isn't great since the point of the eval is to have dynamic text on the buttons.
No it evaluates every time, it can evaluate more than one time in a single page (if you want that). Maybe you somehow botched the thing and it's just stuck.
xman911
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by xman911 »

Roblsforbobls wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:50 am Ok two things, I have a suggestion and I think I've found a bug.

Here's the suggestion: it would be great to be able to use eval tags in notification titles. For example, this would allow a notification to display the number of points a player has throughout the game and change that number from page to page. Currently the only way to keep the player updated on their points (to my knowledge) is to have either a notification button to display the points when pushed or to tell the player with a Say action on every page.

Here's the bug:
I use the Say action and insert an eval tag in it:

apples+1
When "apples" is equal to 1, this code yields 11 instead of 2. However when I do

apples-1
it gives 0. Furthermore, you can get around the issue by doing

apples-0+1
to get the expected value of 2. It follows the same behavior when trying to add two variables as well.

You should only use "apples" without + or -, if you want to display the actual numerical value of how many apples you have.

apples
If you want to add more apples you should use Eval and write proper counter. Here is an example if I want to ad 1 apple to my apples.

apples = apples + 1
or shorter version of the above.

apples += 1
even shorter

apples++
And if I want to add 10 apples.

apples = apples + 10

apples += 10
Roblsforbobls
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Asexual

Post by Roblsforbobls »

xman911 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:48 pm

Isn't it simpler to just make a button that makes for example "a = 0" that will reset the value of variable "a" to 0. Of course if the default number for said variable is a 100... then you put in code "a = 100" , so it gets its starting value. Basically copy your "Initializaton" values, to Re-initialize the whole thing with a button. Of course for this button to work without going anywhere it should loop to the same page. I tested it with a single variable... after clicking on the button my variable went from number 26 to 0 and then started to "accumulate" again, but it should work for any number of variables.
I tried to replicate what you did, and made a button that set apple = 0. It did not work because I am using tease storage (meaning the tease will keep that information stored between sessions), not normal variables.

To be clear, if it was this:
initial var: apple = 0
eval: apple++
Say: apple = <apple>,
then a button with eval: apple = 0
would work.

However, it does not work using the code required for tease storage:
initial var: apple = 0
eval: var apple = teaseStorage.getItem("i") ||0
apple++
teaseStorage.setItem("i", apple)

I think every time you use storage it is taking the value that is stored in "i", not what is stored in apple. My understanding is that it only uses apple to interface with "i"?
Lamei
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Lamei »

RemiHiyama wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:45 am I've seen that message too. It's confusing because my script still seems to function, so I don't know what the issue is.
Thanks for the feedback. I guess i'll keep writing the tease and if it wont run, ill have to split the tease into two parts.
Roblsforbobls
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Roblsforbobls »

You mentioned some features that I think would be awesome to have:
astonia wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:51 pm
  • Allow png and gif images.
So much yes!
  • Page Labels - Basically an "Action" on a page that doesn't do anything other than being a placeholder with a unique name. Then you can use pages.goto('pagename:label') to jump to that label within a page.
I agree, the only other way to do a similar thing would be to duplicate the page and remove the actions you don't want to happen. It would be easier to be able to just start at a certain point on the page (although it might be difficult to do if the image only appears when you start at the beginning of the page).
  • Image Action - Allow eval for image file name
This might be helpful provided that the images have identifiable/unique names
  • Image Action - Allow clearing displayed image. I want a help page that can be opened up any time, but want to clear the background to just show text. Now I could use a transparent png, but png images aren't allowed.
I think you're not the only one who wants this. If I have an about page without an image, it would be nice to be able to clear the image. Currently the previous image is used, and this has some utility, but should not be the only option.
  • Image Action - Gallery Image - Allow using wildcard for file name
If I am understanding you correctly, then you want to be able to select an image at random? This can be done already. If you want to select a random image from a group of images (rather than from all of the images) then you can put that group into its own gallery.
  • Input Field - When running a tease, auto set focus on the field so you can start typing immediately. Right now you have to click the mouse within the field to start typing
A quality of life improvement, I like it.
  • Button/Notification Labels - Allow eval within labels
I've asked for this in a previous comment too. This feature would allow notifications to display points; right now the only way to do so is through the Say action.
  • Allow multiple images on the screen at the same time
I could see this being useful in specific situations - an RPG tease could use multiple images to display multiple enemies.
  • Image Gallery - Allow users to have their own personal galleries, and a tease can pull images from it (maybe based on tags or some sort of grouping capability)
I'm not 100% sure what you mean by this, but I would love the ability to import a gallery from one tease to another so I don't have to upload the same pictures again.
astonia wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:51 pm [*]Web Speech API (Text to Speech). Most modern browsers have this capability now. See https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... Speech_API
[/list]
I've actually seen this implemented in "Futanari Mistress". The author probably downloaded the audio of text to speech and uploaded the audio separately. Not as easy as Web Speech API support, but a work-around for anyone who wants this feature right now.
Roblsforbobls
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Roblsforbobls »

xman911 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:57 pm
You should only use "apples" without + or -, if you want to display the actual numerical value of how many apples you have.

apples
If you want to add more apples you should use Eval and write proper counter. Here is an example if I want to ad 1 apple to my apples.

apples = apples + 1
I think the original issue was that I used quotes around the variable. Sometimes in a tease though you want the player to do <variable - 10> strokes, for example. Changing the variable itself would be a round-about way of making it work, because then I would have to return the variable to its original value right after the Say action. Thankfully, I am no longer having this issue, but thank you for the advice!
Last edited by Roblsforbobls on Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lamei
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Lamei »

xman911 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:44 pm
Lamei wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:06 am I estimate that I will need approximately 150 variables for the new tease. If someone could advise that would be great as I can't continue making the current tease. Thanks
Why would you need... 150... variables... that's just mind boggling number... are you going to make an intergalactic spaceship... and not a milovana tease. Are you sure... you need that many...

I don't think anyone needs that many variables. Are you putting a variable on every page... why do you need so many?! Even 10 variables is probably overkill for most things.

OK... maybe you need them... you can initialize more than one variable in one line by using separator ";"

here is an example.

var money = 0
var time = 0
var x = 0
Would become...

But I still can't imagine why you would use so many... why would you track a 150... variables... what for... does every girl have her own variable. It would be interesting 150 different girls with their own variables...

P.S. Now I looked at your Snakes and Lingerie tease... and still can't comprehend for what you would initiate this many variables.
:lol: I know 150 sounds crazy, Snakes and Lingerie used 28 variables. I can't give away too much but imagine getting lost in a maze tease that never plays the same way twice ;-) Thanks for your help, ill try putting multiple vars on the same line.
astonia
Explorer
Explorer

Post by astonia »

Lamei wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:14 pm
xman911 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:44 pm

here is an example.

var money = 0
var time = 0
var x = 0
Would become...

:lol: I know 150 sounds crazy, Snakes and Lingerie used 28 variables. I can't give away too much but imagine getting lost in a maze tease that never plays the same way twice ;-) Thanks for your help, ill try putting multiple vars on the same line.
I have a script running fine with over 600 lines, so I don't think it has anything to do with the number of lines. Most likely there's an error somewhere in the script or you're using a reserved word for a variable. If the problem is saving these variables in teaseStorage you can put them all in a single object and save just that one object with all your variables. I'm not sure if there's a length limit for each teaseStorage variable or not.
astonia
Explorer
Explorer

Post by astonia »

Roblsforbobls wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:10 pm
I'm not 100% sure what you mean by this, but I would love the ability to import a gallery from one tease to another so I don't have to upload the same pictures again.
Users would create their own personal galleries and give them tags like "mistress". Then when the tease is running there would be a way show an image from the user's gallery that is tagged "mistress". Then the user can have a consistent experience across teases with images to their own liking. There should be a fallback in the tease of course if the user doesn't have images of that type.

Thinking about this a little more, basically every tease now is self contained, and I think it would be great to have ways to share the content between teases as you can see with several items on my wish list to that effect.