Eos Editor Preview - Milovana's new interactive webtease editor

You can find important news and current events here.
cookedGooseeggs
Curious Newbie
Curious Newbie

Re: Eos Editor Preview - Milovana's new interactive webtease editor

Post by cookedGooseeggs »

Hello everyone,
I have a question. I'm trying to make a tease using EOS and I've run into a problem. I have finished all the timers, pages, say, everything except audio. When I attempt to add the Audio:Play action, when I preview the tease it freezes the tease at the end of 2 pages before the audio is supposed to play. (IE: audio on page 20, tease freezes at the end of page 18) I have spent hours trying to figure it out. Is there another way to make the sound play without freezing the tease?
cookedGooseeggs
Curious Newbie
Curious Newbie

Post by cookedGooseeggs »

Never mind. I was just being dumb. I had a two timers on the same page that both led to non existent pages. EOS is such a fantastic creation tool though. I'm almost done with my tease and it was so painless aside from me being stupid.
seraph0x
Administrator
Administrator

Post by seraph0x »

Triple Alfa wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:54 pm I've finally found a little time to work on my eos tease project and it's going pretty well, but one thing is really annoying me.
When I have a page with a lot of Actions I can't scroll down the Actions by themselves. I can only scroll the entire page.
Should be fixed, thanks for the suggestion!
snakelinux wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:34 am Certain image sizes do not work well with certain resolutions. I have one image that is 1661x988 and another image that is 1662x987. My screen resolution is 1920x1080. I am using Chrome and Windows 10 with Chrome on maximize. These images cause the screen to constantly resize itself and it locks up the buttons in EOS. I have to resize the browser to unlock the screen. This happens when I click on the image Action and the image shows up on the right side of the screen. This is after I have selected an image inside the image Action.
Hmm. Thanks for the detailed description. I followed all the steps (image 1661x988; screen resolution 1920x1080; Chrome; select image inside image action) but unfortunately, the issue did not occur for me. Maybe if you could trigger the issue and take screenshots, that might help. (Ideally, if it's oscillating between two states, I'd need a screenshot of both states.)
snakelinux wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:34 am I made the images wide because EOS resizes based on height and not width. There is plenty of room for width. Because of this the wide images look better than the tall images. This might just be a feature of EOS but have you considered giving the option to put the images to the left side and the text to the right side ?
Yes, I'm planning to offer different "layout options" at some point (full-screen image only; background image; image and bubbles side-by-side) but it's not a simple feature - there is a lot to consider. So it might be a while before we have that.
snakelinux wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:34 am Whenever I click on Eval Action and start typing nothing happens. I have to click on the box before I can start typing. This does not happen in the say, prompt, goto and other Actions. This is really minor I know .
Fixed.
boundupone wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:42 pm I would love to have a forward and back option. Let me explain, I am working on a large tease with hundreds of pages, and when I scroll the list, click the page I need the list bounces back to the bottom, and while I can go to action next page and click on edit page, that is a number of clicks whereas a perma button would be great. Also, as there is no previous option anywhere, I have to scroll all through the list to the previous slide. In addition it would be good to have an up down option to, to simply go to the next or previous slide in the list regardless of if they are linked in the story flow.
Hmm, the story flow can split and merge, so there may be multiple next actions and multiple previous actions. So these would have to be lists? Maybe a button that goes to the first previous and first next page by default with a dropdown if there are multiple?

One thing that makes me hesitate here is that I don't want to clutter the interface too much since I want the editor to be beginner-friendly as well.

Please feel free to continue thinking about what this feature would look like exactly. If we can come up with a good design and many of you say that you would find it useful, I'm happy to work on it.
snakelinux
Explorer
Explorer
Sexual Orientation: Straight
I am a: Submissive

Post by snakelinux »

seraph0x wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:18 pm
Triple Alfa wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:54 pm I've finally found a little time to work on my eos tease project and it's going pretty well, but one thing is really annoying me.
When I have a page with a lot of Actions I can't scroll down the Actions by themselves. I can only scroll the entire page.
Should be fixed, thanks for the suggestion!
Verified as fixed!
snakelinux wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:34 am Certain image sizes do not work well with certain resolutions. I have one image that is 1661x988 and another image that is 1662x987. My screen resolution is 1920x1080. I am using Chrome and Windows 10 with Chrome on maximize. These images cause the screen to constantly resize itself and it locks up the buttons in EOS. I have to resize the browser to unlock the screen. This happens when I click on the image Action and the image shows up on the right side of the screen. This is after I have selected an image inside the image Action.
Hmm. Thanks for the detailed description. I followed all the steps (image 1661x988; screen resolution 1920x1080; Chrome; select image inside image action) but unfortunately, the issue did not occur for me. Maybe if you could trigger the issue and take screenshots, that might help. (Ideally, if it's oscillating between two states, I'd need a screenshot of both states.)
Problem is no longer present. I tested it several times before so I can only conclude that one of the other fixes somehow fixed it. Thanks!
seraph0x wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:18 pm Yes, I'm planning to offer different "layout options" at some point (full-screen image only; background image; image and bubbles side-by-side) but it's not a simple feature - there is a lot to consider. So it might be a while before we have that.
Thanks for looking into it.
snakelinux wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:34 am Whenever I click on Eval Action and start typing nothing happens. I have to click on the box before I can start typing. This does not happen in the say, prompt, goto and other Actions. This is really minor I know .
Fixed.
Verified. Thank you!
For a list of games (mostly mine) and links see http://snakelinux.blogspot.com/
FootlongSub
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
I am a: Switch

Post by FootlongSub »

Hello Everyone!

I am currently working on my first Eos tease and am really enjoying myself, playing around with all the features. But I have run into a problem because I want to implement a counter that keeps track of all the points you earn over the course of the tease. I have managed to assign the counter an initial value but I can't seem to manage increasing it. Does anyone know how this can be done?
Quarz
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Quarz »

FootlongSub wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:46 pm Hello Everyone!

I am currently working on my first Eos tease and am really enjoying myself, playing around with all the features. But I have run into a problem because I want to implement a counter that keeps track of all the points you earn over the course of the tease. I have managed to assign the counter an initial value but I can't seem to manage increasing it. Does anyone know how this can be done?
Let's say your variable is named "points".
I assume you have assigned it its initial value by writing something like "points = 0;" either in the init script or into an Eval action that runs prior to you wanting to increase the counter.

In that case making an Eval action with "points += 1;" should increase the value of points by 1. Similar for other amounts.

If you have assigned the initial value via an Eval action take care not to have it run again after you increased the value.
Shattered
Experimentor
Experimentor

Post by Shattered »

Quarz wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:49 am
FootlongSub wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:46 pm Hello Everyone!

Let's say your variable is named "points".
I assume you have assigned it its initial value by writing something like "points = 0;" either in the init script or into an Eval action that runs prior to you wanting to increase the counter.

In that case making an Eval action with "points += 1;" should increase the value of points by 1. Similar for other amounts.

If you have assigned the initial value via an Eval action take care not to have it run again after you increased the value.
you can also make an eval thats just

Code: Select all

points++

to increase by one

or

points--

to decrease by one

Useful little shorthand I found
Quarz
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Quarz »

I'm close to finishing my next tease and I thought about having a few people play it before publishing in order to catch bugs and grammar mistakes.

That brings up the question how to share an Eos tease with someone else before publishing it.
Does sending them the backup file work or would they not be able to load that?
Or is there maybe some even better way to do it?
seraph0x
Administrator
Administrator

Post by seraph0x »

Quarz wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:59 pm I'm close to finishing my next tease and I thought about having a few people play it before publishing in order to catch bugs and grammar mistakes.

That brings up the question how to share an Eos tease with someone else before publishing it.
Does sending them the backup file work or would they not be able to load that?
Or is there maybe some even better way to do it?
I added a feature to Eos to allow private sharing of teases. Just go to the new "Share" tab in the Eos editor.

Be warned though, once you share a link, you can't take it back!
Quarz
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Quarz »

seraph0x wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:08 am I added a feature to Eos to allow private sharing of teases. Just go to the new "Share" tab in the Eos editor.

Be warned though, once you share a link, you can't take it back!
Thank you. That makes this a lot easier!
RemiHiyama
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by RemiHiyama »

Is there any way to have a dynamically coded image action? That is, pulling the filename from a javascript variable instead of using a hardcoded locator string?
Auto: Replaces selected instances of the word "not" with the word "definitely".
Roblsforbobls
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Asexual

Post by Roblsforbobls »

Triple Alfa wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:40 am First, about the preview code and storage. The storage does not get wiped when entering preview mode. What I would do, is for testing create a button on your start page that will reset the values. You create a function like this in your init file:

function resetValues() {
teaseStorage("newPlayer", 0);
teaseStorage("myOtherValues", "relevant Values);
}
You can then call this from the button by having it do an eval action with:

resetValues();
Now you can easily reset anything to test the newPlayer/returningPlayer scenarios.
snakelinux wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:39 am 2) You should give users the ability to reset their stored variables. This is especially useful if there is a bug in your code. Setup a page that when a user clicks the button to reset it runs this function with the variable names changed to your stored variable names.
function refresh() {
teaseStorage.setItem("storedVariable1",undefined);
teaseStorage.setItem("storedVariable2",undefined);
}
I'm a novice at best when it comes to Java, so I was having the hardest time getting these codes to work to reset my stored variables. Here's my storage code:

var apple = teaseStorage.getItem("i") ||0 
apple++
teaseStorage.setItem("i", apple) 
I use Say: "apple =

apple
" to assess that the variable storage is working (it does).

By fiddling around with the solutions from previous comments and struggling to get them to work, I happened upon a working piece of code to refresh and reset stored variables:

teaseStorage.setItem("i", 0)
Note that I used "i" here because that's what I used in my stored variable code. Hopefully this helps someone!
Roblsforbobls
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Roblsforbobls »

Ok two things, I have a suggestion and I think I've found a bug.

Here's the suggestion: it would be great to be able to use eval tags in notification titles. For example, this would allow a notification to display the number of points a player has throughout the game and change that number from page to page. Currently the only way to keep the player updated on their points (to my knowledge) is to have either a notification button to display the points when pushed or to tell the player with a Say action on every page.

Here's the bug:
I use the Say action and insert an eval tag in it:

apples+1
When "apples" is equal to 1, this code yields 11 instead of 2. However when I do

apples-1
it gives 0. Furthermore, you can get around the issue by doing

apples-0+1
to get the expected value of 2. It follows the same behavior when trying to add two variables as well.
Quarz
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Quarz »

Roblsforbobls wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:50 am Here's the bug:
I use the Say action and insert an eval tag in it:

apples+1
When "apples" is equal to 1, this code yields 11 instead of 2. However when I do

apples-1
it gives 0. Furthermore, you can get around the issue by doing

apples-0+1
to get the expected value of 2. It follows the same behavior when trying to add two variables as well.
I tried this out and get 2 for apples+1 and 0 for apples-1.
Could it be that your apples isn't equal to 1, but equal to '1'? 'cause then I get the behaviour you described. (Which is intended, I think)
Roblsforbobls
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Roblsforbobls »

Quarz wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:06 am I tried this out and get 2 for apples+1 and 0 for apples-1.
Could it be that your apples isn't equal to 1, but equal to '1'? 'cause then I get the behaviour you described. (Which is intended, I think)
Thanks for the reply! I went back and looked through all of my pages, but couldn't remember on which I had this issue on. So I couldn't reproduce it, but I think you're right, I probably had apples = ''1'. Plus, I didn't know you could do that with a variable - thanks for teaching me something new!