What do we do when Adobe Flash dies?

Post all technical issues and questions here. We'll gladly help you wherever we can.
seidenki
Explorer
Explorer

What do we do when Adobe Flash dies?

Post by seidenki »

Whilst Adobe is probably not going to EOL Flash any time soon, there are efforts to make it go away. The time is coming when it might not even be installed. So... is there a path forward away from the FlashTease plugin?

Sei.
kerkersklave
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Open to new ideas!
I am a: Slave

Re: What do we do when Adobe Flash dies?

Post by kerkersklave »

Implementing the viewer in HTML5 should be easy. Some flash teases use strange tricks that were propably not inteded as embedded html to move buttons arround or include videos, but 99,9% of webteases are pretty simple.

There is also a flashplayer written entirely in javascript out there that could be used if a html5 implementation is not ready in time.
rob204
Explorer
Explorer
Sexual Orientation: Straight
I am a: Submissive

Post by rob204 »

kerkersklave wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:11 pm Some flash teases use strange tricks that were propably not inteded as embedded html to move buttons arround or include videos
Yes, some flash teases deviate from the standard tease. But that's not a bad thing and I hope with the transition to HTML5 it will even get easier for authors to adjust the appearance and behavior of their teases.

Embedded HTML should be a no brainer with HTML5. You wouldn't even have to embed it. But you have to be extra careful not to create any security holes.

It's almost impossible to recover the old teases that used videos though since those videos are flash files themselves. As far as I know there are only very few (visible) teases that used videos since they always made trouble. You know, the file has to be hosted on another server, all parameters must be in the url, has no play control or events etc. Using files hosted on different servers also makes this unreliable since they can stop working anytime.

For example YouTube stopped support for flash-embedding videos. Most of the times the video just doesn't work at all. For example see Video Test by curiousSK or the workout video in section 3 of The Ultimatum, Part 3 by Trusfrated.

But on the last page of The Honest Nudes by sklavealex at least you get an explanation:
Of course you cannot click the link as any embedded content receives no mouse events.

Video support in regular teases seems to be a bit better currently? For example to see the xhamster or xvideos video in Your first anal experience by trythisthing in Firefox you just have to disable protection (because hosters don't support https) and allow flash:
ImageImage
kerkersklave
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Open to new ideas!
I am a: Slave

Post by kerkersklave »

Yes, "embedding" HTML is obvoisly easy with HTML 5. But these things as moving buttons were kind of a hack, so one has to simulate this hack in order to run old teases (or convert them by hand). But it is only a very few teases that are affected by this, so not a big issues.
As for allowing to embedd html this is always a security issue especially on a site that deals with user authentification etc. So one has to be very careful.
rob204
Explorer
Explorer
Sexual Orientation: Straight
I am a: Submissive

Post by rob204 »

kerkersklave wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:34 pm But these things as moving buttons were kind of a hack, so one has to simulate this hack in order to run old teases (or convert them by hand). But it is only a very few teases that are affected by this, so not a big issues.
I currently don't know any tease that really abused the way flash tease layouts work. Of course there are ways. The system almost begged authors to try placing buttons in weird places in a very systematic way. The visual editor never seemed to really work anyways. For the sake of best compatibility a replacement should try to recreate the quirks of the flash tease engine as close as possible, at least in some kind of compatibility mode.

If the HTML5 replacement would actually recreate the layout of the flash I don't see any problems though. There aren't that many ways to create a layout with horiz, vert and mult, so the most "hacky" flash teases would have to make assumptions about the viewport size to make specific positioning work. Those hacks never play well even with flash since the users would have to resize their browser windows accordingly.

But would we even want to recreate this "full screen" tease experience or, for example, approach the regular tease style? For myself I started to write a user script (based on greasemonkey) to replace flash and make them look like regular teases. I think for many teases it would actually work quite well. On the other hand I really love the old flash experience. And many teases use interesting text formatting (and colors) that don't quite work this way.