[ALPHA-RELEASE (.09)][GuideMe] Random Mazes

Webteases are great, but what if you're in the mood for a slightly more immersive experience? Chat about Tease AI and other offline tease software.

Moderator: 1885

desertfox
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Straight
I am a: None of the above

Re: [ALPHA-RELEASE (.08)][GuideMe] Random Mazes

Post by desertfox »

Oh, also, one more thing, you MUST go through the intro sequence without skipping it via debug to the 'maze_main' page or it could be in a really weird state. Right at the end before you go in is when the program actually builds the maze and sets up a lot of flags.

Once you have seen the maze overview shot and are in there with navigation buttons, you can then back out of your encounters if they halt without too much worry of breaking anything.
Frozen88
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Frozen88 »

Thanks again for all your effort and work. :thankyou:
Spoiler: show
Mhh, a third ritual :w00t:
Probably I can only go playing from monday...
Mh, where can I get that ritual? :innocent:
I think I have to make my own map and help Michaela again, maybe I get new Information.
Then I didn't try the second ritual with a full white orb at the fountain (when I remember right, I tried it at the frozen waterfall and skylights).
And at all have to try new things with the orb.

I'm exited if I'll find anything next week :mbounce:

Ps: Some encounters get really intense. I was tempted to not remember heathers name, maybe I wouldn't had to hold the edge for some minutes then :\'-(
And after maney maney edges, before some encounters I need a little break, or I have no chance :lol:
But I love it that way :love:
desertfox
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by desertfox »

Frozen88 wrote:Thanks again for all your effort and work. :thankyou:
Mhh, a third ritual :w00t:
Probably I can only go playing from monday...
Mh, where can I get that ritual? :innocent:
I think I have to make my own map and help Michaela again, maybe I get new Information.
Then I didn't try the second ritual with a full white orb at the fountain (when I remember right, I tried it at the frozen waterfall and skylights).
And at all have to try new things with the orb.

I'm exited if I'll find anything next week :mbounce:

Ps: Some encounters get really intense. I was tempted to not remember heathers name, maybe I wouldn't had to hold the edge for some minutes then :\'-(
And after maney maney edges, before some encounters I need a little break, or I have no chance :lol:
But I love it that way :love:
Patch is up, .09.
This should fix the little errors you found and the rituals should work correctly when you do them outside an encounter.

Just to save you, I wouldn't go nuts trying the rituals out everywhere, I didn't get a chance to put a lot of places to use them yet :(

You just have to go back to somewhere you already tried a ritual and failed because you didn't have enough power. Now that you have the orb, use that and try it again! After that is is pretty much the end of where I'm at, frowny face.
I'm glad the flow of everything together is working, I usually have been making each tease one at a time with a week or more between, so I'm not always sure about the pacing, so it is good to hear that it is working out!

Also don't forget a about 10 or so of the teases were written by Schefflera for his maze. I just added in a few return variations and built out maybe 2 of them, but a lot of credit goes to his tease writing for many of them.
lestrian
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Re: [ALPHA-RELEASE (.09)][GuideMe] Random Mazes

Post by lestrian »

is there any risk my savefile would break if i apply the patch?
desertfox
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by desertfox »

I don't think so, most of the fixes were basically teases that were missing a button or things that would cause a script to fail. The story fixes were mostly there to make sure the trigger chain that moves the story along wouldn't fail in some cases.

There were no major mechanical changes with how the maze works at all, so I would say you are pretty safe to update. If something goes wacky let me know and I can try to see if I can fix it.
Frozen88
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Frozen88 »

desertfox wrote: Also don't forget a about 10 or so of the teases were written by Schefflera for his maze. I just added in a few return variations and built out maybe 2 of them, but a lot of credit goes to his tease writing for many of them.
Then I want to thank Schefflera too :)
I also loved your mazes :innocent:

:thankyou:
meowww
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Re: [ALPHA-RELEASE][GuideMe] Random Mazes

Post by meowww »

Ok i just have to ask now, am i stupid? Don´t answer this, i know i am lol

i played around with this Maze now for a few Days (by now i started a new one) and i just can´t figure out how to progress the Story, hell i don´t even know if i may did progressed the Story at somepoint, but i doubt it, cause i guess the Story would be obvious, so even i can´t be dump enough to not realize this, maybe i am...who knows, that´s why i am here asking now...

Is there a way how i can tell that i keep the Story going?

Is it obvious if i progress the Story?

So far i run around in my first Maze, encountered my Guide a few Times and depending on who i encountered to this time she may or may not had new Question for me to ask, is this how to progress the Story?

In my new Maze now, i have encounter my guide only once so far and only could ask her this one Question about where we first meet, she tells me that i could visit her again (only once) if i go there and i would figure out how to get her attention, well guess what i can´t figure it out >.<

By the way this is no critic on the Maze, the Maze it awesome, it just makes me feel so stupid for not being able to figure this out alone and i do not want to leave the Maze until i could follow the Story, i may don´t even want to leave afterwards as well, cause i just love to be teased into madness xD
desertfox
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by desertfox »

No way! One thing I was really worried about was that the start of the 'story' had a weird trigger, and again there isn't much 'story' there yet to be honest, there are maybe 5 or 6 steps of it is all.

Basically when you walk around enough you should find a place that is a skylight in the ground .So you have to find a specific tile (that is randomized each time you go in the maze) to start it off. By going there and leaving, it should set off another encounter some time in the future that should be slightly different than the others (not foxy). Once you meet that person you can ask your guide about her in the 'check in' scene and that hopefully should get you going.

You should (if I didn't screw up :) ) see your guide periodically, when you start a maze for the first time it will be after 60 minutes, then every 30 minutes from then on.

You'll get a few more tools and unlock some mechanics, but there isn't currently a ton of stuff to do with any of it yet. Currently slowly building out more content, but it's going to be a while for the next round of stuff.

Also maybe i'm phrasing it wrong by calling it story. You have two things going on in the tease.
1. Walking from entrance to exit in the maze and having random encounters along the way.
2. A series of encounters that are chained together via triggers or going somewhere and doing something specific, like a main quest in an RPG game, which is what I keep calling the story.

Mechanically they look the same, but the story teases you will only see once and tend to be longer or have more dialog in them, though I did get a little chatty with some of the random teases too.

Hopefully that explains it a bit better.
2OI2
Explorer
Explorer
I am a: Submissive

Post by 2OI2 »

Hey,

i was wondering if someone knows how to meet Toxic a second time? The first encounter is triggered autom. , but havent acountered her a second time.

Besides that, great work. Great maze by schefflera!
meowww
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by meowww »

Thanks that explains it, i haven´t even done 1/4 of the Maze and haven´t found a skylight on the Ground, the Guide works fine, i just thought i had to do something to make her show up at the point we first meet again, next time before i ask i may should search every corner of the Maze first

Anyway i will look forward to more updates on your maze, i can´t imagen where this will go, at this state it already get´s called epic, so how about a silly Question do you aim for Legendary? xD

Oh and at one Point i think you stated, that you want us to experience the Story, i don´t know if this is possible, but if your Story is done at somepoint, how about two Playmodes:

A Storymode
The exit appears ONLY after you finish the Story

A Freeplay Mode
The exit is there all the time
desertfox
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by desertfox »

Toxic is somewhere out in the maze... Just have to find her :)

Also one issue I had trouble getting to work correctly was after your intro tease, there is a wheelbarrow left behind, and I wanted it immediately marked on the map, but you have to basically leave the square you are on, then walk back into it to reveal it, so it is very possible someone can leave that tease and walk away, never stepping foot in it while leaving it marked as visited on the map.

Again I was thinking it might not be a super smart idea to make you step on a single tile in a 25x25 maze to start everything off, but, ah well, it's done :)
Frozen88
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Frozen88 »

@Meowww:
Your Story progress isn't lost, when you finished the maze. So I don't think we need two modes.
After 848 Edges and 206 Encounters, 1 time regulary finished and 2 times losing :no:
I think I reached the actual story end with 3 rituals :innocent:

Some Encounters get very hard and myself so sensitive after so long teasing :\'-( :w00t: :innocent: :love:

Was looking for something special because of the third ritual and found the exit after ~30 minutes :-O
desertfox
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by desertfox »

Frozen88 wrote:@Meowww:
Your Story progress isn't lost, when you finished the maze. So I don't think we need two modes.
After 848 Edges and 206 Encounters, 1 time regulary finished and 2 times losing :no:
I think I reached the actual story end with 3 rituals :innocent:

Some Encounters get very hard and myself so sensitive after so long teasing :\'-( :w00t: :innocent: :love:

Was looking for something special because of the third ritual and found the exit after ~30 minutes :-O
For the love of god man that is a shit load of edges!
I do have a vague end state in mind, one where you have a bunch of stuff and have a bit more control over what you get yourself into. In my mind I want to see the start as a hub to go into different things, but I haven't thought it out all the way.

But I do want to have the whole thing served up in order the first time round.
Frozen88
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Frozen88 »

May I ask what you are planning to add in the future?
I have so much fun with your game. I consider to contribute an own encounter, but I'm not sure if it'll be good enough, especially with my bad english.
lestrian
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by lestrian »

desertfox wrote:I do have a vague end state in mind
hold on, is there not an ending? (i haven't read the rest of your post or the post above where you talked about mechanics since i want to avoid spoilers)

i'm absolutely loving the content so far. heather and the new jenya stuff especially. i've played for three days and i've explored about half of the maze. i've reached a few of the landmarks but i've still not found any way of making them interact with eachother or how to find the exit. i have to say that the maze is way too large and/or there is not enough content yet. if you want it to be large you might as well add all the encounters from iana's/bree's/talia's mazes. it's pretty boring to get the same encounters over and over (at least those that don't change when you get them again).