[ALPHA-RELEASE (.09)][GuideMe] Random Mazes

Webteases are great, but what if you're in the mood for a slightly more immersive experience? Chat about Tease AI and other offline tease software.

Moderator: 1885

Frozen88
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Re: [ALPHA-RELEASE (.06)][GuideMe] Random Mazes

Post by Frozen88 »

Found the same bug. :whistle:

In the starting post is a tutorial for trouble shooting.
desertfox
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Straight
I am a: None of the above

Re: [ALPHA-RELEASE (.06)][GuideMe] Random Mazes

Post by desertfox »

Balls! Patched. Forgot one little button :)

Also as frozen said, you can use the troubleshooting on the first page to go back to the maze_main page. Even putting this fix in won't get you out of there, it has to re-enter the encounter to pick up the changes.
Frozen88
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Re: [ALPHA-RELEASE (.07)][GuideMe] Random Mazes

Post by Frozen88 »

I also found a dead end with Lauren just now.
Sorry, didn't make a screenshot :(
Spoiler: show
Just discovered something new with Milena :innocent:
I became her servant :-D
But on each page were "continue" buttons, I think they shouldn't be there?
desertfox
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by desertfox »

Frozen88 wrote:I also found a dead end with Lauren just now.
Sorry, didn't make a screenshot :(
Just discovered something new with Milena :innocent:
I became her servant :-D
But on each page were "continue" buttons, I think they shouldn't be there?

Yeah there is a GlobalButton option in the script engine, I probably didn't remove it somewhere I should have which keeps it on every page from that time onward. Will look into that guy too.
And no problem on the screen shots, I can usually find them once I know they are there. It's hard to thoroughly click through all the options sometimes, thanks for finding them and letting me know!

*edit* Patched both! Quick little typos there, whew.
Last edited by desertfox on Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
PlayfulGuy
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual/Bi-Curious
I am a: Switch
Dom/me(s): No domme
Sub/Slave(s): No sub

Post by PlayfulGuy »

Happy to see this released! Downloading now...
Maybe this weekend I'll get a chance to try it out. Definitely looking forward to it.

Meanwhile I've been working on updates to the script engine. Hope to have an update to release soon, but lots of testing and regression testing to do, so realistically it will be a couple weeks at least. Have fixed many bugs, lifted some limitations and added some great new features, and am polishing off some more. If there's anything you'd like to see in the next version now's a good time to ask.

Congrats on getting this out there desertfox!

PG
desertfox
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by desertfox »

PlayfulGuy wrote:Happy to see this released! Downloading now...
Maybe this weekend I'll get a chance to try it out. Definitely looking forward to it.

Meanwhile I've been working on updates to the script engine. Hope to have an update to release soon, but lots of testing and regression testing to do, so realistically it will be a couple weeks at least. Have fixed many bugs, lifted some limitations and added some great new features, and am polishing off some more. If there's anything you'd like to see in the next version now's a good time to ask.

Congrats on getting this out there desertfox!

PG
Well thank you sir! Would not have done it without the script engine! I hope you enjoy seeing your language in all its glory throughout. I ended up with a style towards the end, my early ones had a scattering of formats but then I sort of unified how I did it.

So far not needing anything... well, based on the amount of bugs i'm producing... maybe some sort of "lint' to find 'dead' pages. Most of my bugs so far short of me mauling if statements have been leaving pages with no delay or button to escape from.

Really otherwise pretty much anything I could want to do is in there, there is a lot of flexibility there now.

Mechanically I'm having some performance issues but that is strictly the nature of how I'm doing the teases. I'm not sure you can do anything on your end. The cost is the file read operation I think, not the parsing of it, and I'm writing a bit 'line verbose'. But i'm a bit worried about doing some of the larger scripts I want and packing it all in. I'm not really sure if this is solvable and might be an issue with how I've handled loading the scripts up. Eh

Anyway yeah its really nice so far.
Frozen88
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Re: [ALPHA-RELEASE (.08)][GuideMe] Random Mazes

Post by Frozen88 »

I think I found a dead end with aria after she made someone pop.
This happy guy :whistle:
She notices you.

You.

Of all the Strokers...
PlayfulGuy
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by PlayfulGuy »

desertfox wrote: Well thank you sir! Would not have done it without the script engine! I hope you enjoy seeing your language in all its glory throughout.
Your welcome, and yeah, I'm totally stoked to see a large project like this made using something I created. It's very gratifying.
desertfox wrote: So far not needing anything... well, based on the amount of bugs i'm producing... maybe some sort of "lint' to find 'dead' pages. Most of my bugs so far short of me mauling if statements have been leaving pages with no delay or button to escape from.
You'll be happy to know that I encountered that same issue enough times in my testing and working on some things for myself that I have implemented a fix for this. I'll send you a PM with some notes in case you want to add it to your code before I get around to releasing the new version. Basically I made a change where if a page has no delay and no buttons a default "Continue" button gets added automatically.
desertfox wrote: Really otherwise pretty much anything I could want to do is in there, there is a lot of flexibility there now.
Awesome!
desertfox wrote: Mechanically I'm having some performance issues but that is strictly the nature of how I'm doing the teases. I'm not sure you can do anything on your end. The cost is the file read operation I think, not the parsing of it, and I'm writing a bit 'line verbose'.
I'll monitor this as I play through a maze and see what ideas I can come up with.
If you're thinking it's file read, have a look at your image sizes. I've noticed that one of the primary performance issues with Guideme is image size. In some of the picture sets I use for testing the original images were quite large (like 3000x5000 pixels) and I noticed the pages took a long time to load, yet other teases were quite fast. I resized all the images I use so that the largest dimension is 2000 pixels or less and it made a significant difference in how quickly the pages load. There's probably an optimal size that still gives good definition for the image without being too large, but I haven't experimented to determine what that size is.
It could well be it's the image load and not the script load causing the delays.

The average computer screen is still only a couple thousand pixels (maybe 2500) in it's largest dimension, and in a tease the image is often less than half the screen, so using 1250 pixels as the largest dimension is probably not unreasonable. This dramatically reduces the file sizes and total download size as well.

Question for you:
Damn! I signed in here to ask you something then I spent so long replying to your post that I can't remember what I was going to ask! I hate that!

Oh, I remember now... Are the mazes a set size and shape? Wondering about trying to map it as I go. Is it a grid or something I can sketch out ahead of time? But then I don't know where I'm starting do I? Oh well. If you can give any insight on what might help with mapping the maze...

PG
Frozen88
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Frozen88 »

You can either map it yourself or get an ingame map really fast, when you do a ritual.
You will see :)

I recommend the ingame map the first time.

€: I think I found a bug:
After my first time beeing allowed to cum i reentered the maze and did the ritual for the map before i met my guide.
It didn't work and after I filled the orb of my guide it also doesn't work now, when i performe the ritual.
Did i broke something?

Furthermore everytime I meet someone i just have the text:
The maze stretches out endlessly before you.

There and the enocunter seems bugged
desertfox
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by desertfox »

PlayfulGuy wrote: Oh, I remember now... Are the mazes a set size and shape? Wondering about trying to map it as I go. Is it a grid or something I can sketch out ahead of time? But then I don't know where I'm starting do I? Oh well. If you can give any insight on what might help with mapping the maze...
PG
Right now the map is 25x25 grid. It is very mapable, no weird things like moving two rooms at once or anything, so you can graph paper it out to your hearts content :) You do start at a random location in it, and the exit is somewhere randomly 'far away' as the crow flies.
desertfox
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by desertfox »

Frozen88 wrote:
After my first time beeing allowed to cum i reentered the maze and did the ritual for the map before i met my guide.
It didn't work and after I filled the orb of my guide it also doesn't work now, when i performe the ritual.
Did i broke something?

Big spoilers in here for anybody just fyi.
Glad you like aria, when I saw that encounter in iana's maze I had a lot of trouble with it so I knew I had to add more to it. I'll look into that bug.

Now for the rest I'm afraid for what I have done :) One of the patches I reworked the contract signing and intro tease, so I think I have destroyed something here, which I hope I didn't.

I reworked some flags with patches so I am thinking I might have messed you up if you have flags from before set and then I changed them. But let me see how did you go through the maze to the exit, or did you do an "I came" and went through the drifting sequence?

*EDIT* Reread your post, if as follows you did.
- Went through drift sequence, leaving the maze. This should remove your map, and undo your translated rituals
- Start up again. Went to rituals, translated the map one, then cast it, which failed.
- Encountered the guide. From here you said you didn't need the map, but you helped her out filling her orb? If you do that you are unfortunately map free that run. Story wise you passed up your chance for a map, but Michaela still wanted to take advantage of the opportunity to fill up her orb and do something else with it... (not written in yet unfortunately :( )
- However the being stuck not going into encounters, I'm not sure what is going on there :(
- Also as a hint to get the ritual to work you need a little more oomph (and my debugging of ritual results has not been that vigorous :( )

I have a feeling that i've patched you into a bad state by changing too many things. If you could possibly go into the alt+d menu, then on the Variables tab, find the one called "Flags" up top. If you click that, down below should have a bunch of values for it. If you can highlight that all and copy the flags and paste them to me, I may be able to 1. find the problem, and 2. write you a line to drop in the maze.xml to run once to fix your flags up.

Or if you are masochistic you can do file reset and maybe it'll all work? either way I'm going to go run through it and make sure it is actually working on my end.

*EDIT2* Back from testing. Depending where you are on the rituals I had some issues. The map one was 'set up for failure'. I never had a path to actually make it work making the map. I also have some bugs in there for handling results correctly. I need to figure out whats going wrong, I should be able to get to it this weekend. I also got the Aria bug (and that sucks since it was a 'lowish' chance to get where you were going), and playfulguy gave me some code that will just put a button on dead pages so that should clean up a lot now and in the future.

But also if you can get me a copy of your Flags I can still try to sort you out too.
Last edited by desertfox on Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
desertfox
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by desertfox »

PlayfulGuy wrote:
desertfox wrote: Mechanically I'm having some performance issues but that is strictly the nature of how I'm doing the teases. I'm not sure you can do anything on your end. The cost is the file read operation I think, not the parsing of it, and I'm writing a bit 'line verbose'.
I'll monitor this as I play through a maze and see what ideas I can come up with.
If you're thinking it's file read, have a look at your image sizes. I've noticed that one of the primary performance issues with Guideme is image size. In some of the picture sets I use for testing the original images were quite large (like 3000x5000 pixels) and I noticed the pages took a long time to load, yet other teases were quite fast. I resized all the images I use so that the largest dimension is 2000 pixels or less and it made a significant difference in how quickly the pages load. There's probably an optimal size that still gives good definition for the image without being too large, but I haven't experimented to determine what that size is.
It could well be it's the image load and not the script load causing the delays.

The average computer screen is still only a couple thousand pixels (maybe 2500) in it's largest dimension, and in a tease the image is often less than half the screen, so using 1250 pixels as the largest dimension is probably not unreasonable. This dramatically reduces the file sizes and total download size as well.
I actually ran out of memory because I was using a picset that was 10 meg a picture, and I've been downsizing them to 1920x1080 after that :) But for actually running the script through it is behaving just fine.

Where I get hung up is loading it up, you'll see when you play the maze, the first tease you run into once you get into the maze is a particular culprit. The maze will hang for a second while it reads in the 2000 lines. If you slam the move button during that time it will actually push to and then immediately off the runscript page back to my movement page and out of the script. It would probably be fine if I could figure out how to kill the button from doing anything while it is loading up.

But I also hesitate because if I want to do a really long script in one file it'll exacerbate the problem, I thought includes might fix that but I think it stitches that all together right away.

Again it all comes down to how I'm doing the maze, basically you are in my guideme pages moving around, then when it has an encounter, you are moved to your loadscript page where it reads in the selected .scr file and plays it. On the script engine end I don't think there is anything to really do about it unfortunately.
Frozen88
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Frozen88 »

desertfox wrote:
Frozen88 wrote:
Did i broke something?

Big spoilers in here for anybody just fyi.
Glad you like aria, when I saw that encounter in iana's maze I had a lot of trouble with it so I knew I had to add more to it. I'll look into that bug.

Now for the rest I'm afraid for what I have done :) One of the patches I reworked the contract signing and intro tease, so I think I have destroyed something here, which I hope I didn't.

I reworked some flags with patches so I am thinking I might have messed you up if you have flags from before set and then I changed them. But let me see how did you go through the maze to the exit, or did you do an "I came" and went through the drifting sequence?

*EDIT* Reread your post, if as follows you did.
- Went through drift sequence, leaving the maze. This should remove your map, and undo your translated rituals
- Start up again. Went to rituals, translated the map one, then cast it, which failed.
- Encountered the guide. From here you said you didn't need the map, but you helped her out filling her orb? If you do that you are unfortunately map free that run. Story wise you passed up your chance for a map, but Michaela still wanted to take advantage of the opportunity to fill up her orb and do something else with it... (not written in yet unfortunately :( )
- However the being stuck not going into encounters, I'm not sure what is going on there :(
- Also as a hint to get the ritual to work you need a little more oomph (and my debugging of ritual results has not been that vigorous :( )

I have a feeling that i've patched you into a bad state by changing too many things. If you could possibly go into the alt+d menu, then on the Variables tab, find the one called "Flags" up top. If you click that, down below should have a bunch of values for it. If you can highlight that all and copy the flags and paste them to me, I may be able to 1. find the problem, and 2. write you a line to drop in the maze.xml to run once to fix your flags up.

Or if you are masochistic you can do file reset and maybe it'll all work? either way I'm going to go run through it and make sure it is actually working on my end.

*EDIT2* Back from testing. Depending where you are on the rituals I had some issues. The map one was 'set up for failure'. I never had a path to actually make it work making the map. I also have some bugs in there for handling results correctly. I need to figure out whats going wrong, I should be able to get to it this weekend. I also got the Aria bug (and that sucks since it was a 'lowish' chance to get where you were going), and playfulguy gave me some code that will just put a button on dead pages so that should clean up a lot now and in the future.

But also if you can get me a copy of your Flags I can still try to sort you out too.
I exited through michelle, didn't drift.
I had to use alt+d to go back to the main maze sometime.
program_initialize,maze_theme_hedge,persist_Michaela_did_search_ritual,persist_met_michaela,persist_met_caseyconnelly,persist_met_milenad,persist_met_alexgrey,persist_met_toxic,persist_met_sherivi,persist_met_talia,persist_met_aleksa,persist_met_annaaj,persist_met_adelia,persist_met_leilaa,persist_met_janicea,persist_met_laurenc,persist_met_stephb,MichaelaGuideMidBreak,persist_milenad_know_her,persist_met_ariaa,persist_ariaa_didIntro,persist_met_kiera,persist_met_juliav,persist_met_jenya,persist_met_karissa,persist_karissa_likes_tea,persist_met_lilita,persist_met_xartHeather,persist_met_foxydi,persist_visited_fountain,persist_toxic_went_in_house,persist_visited_michaela_wheelbarrow,persist_jenya_punished,persist_foxydi_teaseCouch3,persist_met_anneli,persist_victoria_visited,persist_met_emily,persist_michaela_asked_about_anneli,persist_ritual_search,persist_ritual_awake,persist_anneli_refused,persist_milenad_subject,persist_ariaa_asked_question,persist_foxydi_edged_done,persist_met_rileemarks,inv_white_orb,contract_ruin,maze_did_encounter,rituals_used_ritual_search,rituals_success
bug.jpg
bug.jpg (355.57 KiB) Viewed 1601 times
€: After reloading the tease two times after this bug, it seems to work now :-O :blush: :w00t:

€€: When I use my full white orb and do the second ritual, I end in the same encounter as when I do a wrong translated ritual. Do I have to translate the ritual again after signing a new contract with michelle? Or should this happen? This encounter is really mean and now I drift for the first time in this save :\'-(
Thank you again for all your work! This tease is great, complex and I played it a lot in my holidays this week :)

Ps: English is not my mother tongue, it can be confusing.
Last edited by Frozen88 on Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PlayfulGuy
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by PlayfulGuy »

Frozen88 wrote:You can either map it yourself or get an ingame map really fast, when you do a ritual.
You will see :)

I recommend the ingame map the first time.
Excellent! Thanks.
desertfox wrote:
Right now the map is 25x25 grid. It is very mapable, no weird things like moving two rooms at once or anything, so you can graph paper it out to your hearts content :) You do start at a random location in it, and the exit is somewhere randomly 'far away' as the crow flies.
Thanks! And yeah, Includes stitch it all together at load time. I'll still poke around a bit and see if anything comes up.

Perhaps Philo will chime in on some of the things that affect performance. It's probably worth a post in the Guideme thread if you haven't already.

PG
desertfox
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by desertfox »

Frozen88 wrote: I exited through michelle, didn't drift.
I had to use alt+d to go back to the main maze sometime.
bug.jpg
€: After reloading the tease two times after this bug, it seems to work now :-O :blush: :w00t:

€€: When I use my full white orb and do the second ritual, I end in the same encounter as when I do a wrong translated ritual. Do I have to translate the ritual again after signing a new contract with michelle? Or should this happen? This encounter is really mean and now I drift for the first time in this save :\'-(
Glad you are enjoying so far!
I noticed it myself last night the ritual results are a hot mess as well as white orb usage and I'm going to make sure the next patch has them making sense. The encounter you get for botched rituals was supposed to be only for completing a wrongly translated one, but I didn't finish off everything I wanted to do with it so I tossed it in for a bunch of result cases. I think there are a bunch of logic errors there that need cleaning up though and you are wrongly getting into it.

I don't have that much going on with all the rituals yet either as I sort of made them up later on and it takes a lot to make sure everything works for each one. I also didn't want to go to crazy with them because I wasn't sure how they would be received, if they were a pain in the butt or not.

I'll take a look at your flags and see if there is anything that might throw you in there....

*Edit*
Welp, first off, looking at all those flags, whew, that's a lot of teases. I almost feel bad... almost :)

But they all look to be the right flags. There might be some lingering ones that didn't get cleaned up but should have no ill effect.

I think what is messing you up now is the ritual code, so I'm going to fix all that up and hopefully tonight or tomorrow should have a patch. You basically have one more step left before you effectively hit the end of what I have in the story as well so don't bash your head against a brick wall too much looking for more! You can get one more ritual and that's your stopping point for now until I get more stuff in there!