Nyx(Flash Tease Editor) Tips and Tricks

All about the past, current and future webteases and the art of webteasing in general.
---
cumhardy
Experimentor
Experimentor
I am a: None of the above

Re: Nyx(Flash Tease Editor) Tips and Tricks

Post by cumhardy »

nvm, i worked it out. for some reaosn it doesnt play the vid unless i save it, exit nyx, open it up again and open the tease (and then i get an error message) then preview it, and the video plays. not sure why I have to do it that way though!
green
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Open to new ideas!
I am a: Switch

Post by green »

cumhardy wrote:nvm, i worked it out. for some reaosn it doesnt play the vid unless i save it, exit nyx, open it up again and open the tease (and then i get an error message) then preview it, and the video plays. not sure why I have to do it that way though!
Hmn. I don't need to reload nyx for it to work.

The error message appears because the visual editor can't parse the script, when the "pic" area is overwritten by something else ;).

Thanks for suggesting my thread to be a sticky ;D

~green~
You can own the earth and still - All you'll own is earth until
You can paint with all the colors of the wind
mastah007
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by mastah007 »

Ok I think I've got most of the basics down now. But I have a couple of questions.

Question 1:

My tease runs in a loop, there are 5 pages named 1..5 and they all have this code:

Code: Select all

delay(10, range(1,5,'page'))
So the tease jumps back and forth between those 5 pages at random in a loop. And that works fine, that's what I want. The problem is when say I'm on page 4 and then if the random jump takes me to page 4 again - then it gets stuck in an infinite loop because the randomizer keeps giving me the number 4 every time!

How do I prevent this?

Question 2:

Is there any way to make the tease end after X minutes (where X is random)? I mean having a global variable to count the time perhaps or some sort of timeout function? I have made a page called end# which I want to jump to after my tease is done running the 5 page loop above. So I'd like to run the 5 page loop for X minutes, then jump to end#.

How can I do this?

Or possibly an alternative (less good) way to do it: Maybe have a randomizer on each of the 5 pages where there is a certain chance (say 1 in 100) to jump to the end page? Then I would get some boring results sometimes where the game ends very fast, but it would still be usable. Is it possibly to draw a random number and then if the special number comes up (1 in a 100) jump to the end page - if that number does NOT come up (99% of time) then continue to one of the random 5 other pages and continue the loop?
The only sub silly enough to have a name with "master" in it. Although it does leave open the possibility of switching...:D
green
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by green »

just a quick reply(I'm tired). Tell me if you need more details.
mastah007 wrote:Ok I think I've got most of the basics down now. But I have a couple of questions.

Question 1:

My tease runs in a loop, there are 5 pages named 1..5 and they all have this code:

delay(10, range(1,5,'page'))
So the tease jumps back and forth between those 5 pages at random in a loop. And that works fine, that's what I want. The problem is when say I'm on page 4 and then if the random jump takes me to page 4 again - then it gets stuck in an infinite loop because the randomizer keeps giving me the number 4 every time!

How do I prevent this?
You need to unset pages which have been opened, you can find more about the unset command in the helpfile(linked in my post).
mastah007 wrote: Question 2:

Is there any way to make the tease end after X minutes (where X is random)? I mean having a global variable to count the time perhaps or some sort of timeout function? I have made a page called end# which I want to jump to after my tease is done running the 5 page loop above. So I'd like to run the 5 page loop for X minutes, then jump to end#.

How can I do this?
You could make it so that the tease has for example 5 pages, while each is looping for a minute...
Or the tease has one page, with a invisible timer, that opens page end# after 5 mins.
mastah007 wrote: Or possibly an alternative (less good) way to do it: Maybe have a randomizer on each of the 5 pages where there is a certain chance (say 1 in 100) to jump to the end page? Then I would get some boring results sometimes where the game ends very fast, but it would still be usable. Is it possibly to draw a random number and then if the special number comes up (1 in a 100) jump to the end page - if that number does NOT come up (99% of time) then continue to one of the random 5 other pages and continue the loop?
Sure.. just make 99 pages that open the random 5 pages. And 1 "special" page.

If you don't "unset" pages each number will only be generated once... meaning, that the time frame won't be toooo long ;)...

~green~
green
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by green »

Update:
9. set() and unset()
10. The must(), mostnot(), numactionsfrom() and numactions() commands
cumhardy
Experimentor
Experimentor

Post by cumhardy »

this

please!

EDIT: oh wait, was it already? I spent so long looking for it in the archives I ended up searching for it, maybe it was here all along
cumhardy
Experimentor
Experimentor

Post by cumhardy »

can someone post an example of a script with the 'unset' command for unsetting multiple pages within a range?
I cant get it to work properly.

P.S. thanks for the dice in the sidebar idea green
camel
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Straight

numactions doesn't work?

Post by camel »

What am I doing wrong?

I used your example, the only thing I did differently was to add an "unset" page so I could start over, and removed your code comments. I also increased the third argument of numactions from 1 to 2 to make both 2 and 3 come up before page 1.

I'm pretty sure that numactions is not working because sometimes I get "1" on the first try.

unset#page(
'',
'',
mult(unset(1#),unset(2#),unset(3#),go(start#))
);

start#page(
'<TEXTFORMAT LEADING="2"><P ALIGN="CENTER"><FONT FACE="FontSans" SIZE="18" COLOR="#FFFFFF" LETTERSPACING="0" KERNING="0">Page 1 will only show after Page 2 and 3 have been shown.</FONT></P></TEXTFORMAT>',
pic("*"),
go(range(1,3,'page'))
);

1#page('This page shows up if range generated a 1',
pic("*"),
mult(
numactionsfrom(1#,2#,2),
go(start#));
);

2#page('This page shows up if range generated a 2',
pic("*"),
go(start#));

3#page('This page shows up if range generated a 3',
pic("*"),
go(start#));
Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong? I want page 1 to show up only if 2 and 3 have been seen.
seraph0x
Administrator
Administrator

Re: numactions doesn't work?

Post by seraph0x »

camel wrote:I want page 1 to show up only if 2 and 3 have been seen.

unset(1#, 2#, 3#);    
must(1#, 2#, 3#);

start#page(
'<TEXTFORMAT LEADING="2"><P ALIGN="CENTER"><FONT FACE="FontSans" SIZE="18" COLOR="#FFFFFF" LETTERSPACING="0" KERNING="0">Page 1 will only show after Page 2 and 3 have been shown.</FONT></P></TEXTFORMAT>',
pic("*"),
go(range(1,3))
);

1#page('This page shows up if range generated a 1',
pic("*"),
go(start#));

2#page('This page shows up if range generated a 2',
pic("*"),
go(start#));

3#page('This page shows up if range generated a 3',
pic("*"),
go(start#));
Untested. The "must" command appears OUTSIDE of any page and sets up relationships between pages. The first argument is the page that you want to add constraints on (1#) and the following parameters are the pages that must have appeared before your constrained page will show up. All the constraints only apply to the range() command.

So the flow should be:

start#
2# or 3#
start#
2# or 3# (whichever wasn't shown yet)
start#
1#
start#
[ERROR, all actions set]

Let me know if it works.
seraph0x
Administrator
Administrator

Post by seraph0x »

As for numactions, that also has to be set before the script is executed, so you'd have:

numactions(1#, 2);

start#page(
... etc
NOTE THAT THERE IS A MAJOR BUG IN NYX PREVIEW THAT KEEPS CONSTRAINTS BETWEEN PREVIEW SESSIONS! Only way to get around it is to restart Nyx every time you change a constraint.

I gotta say, you guys are using functionality that I never intended for people to use, at least not before some major bugfixing on my part, which I ultimately didn't have time for. The new system is in the works though my day job is keeping me quite busy, so I don't have a release date at this time.
janmb
Experimentor
Experimentor
I am a: Submissive

Post by janmb »

seraph0x wrote:so I don't have a release date at this time.
I love the way you worded that, considering what site you are posting on :lol:
Yes, I most certainly CAN do it again!
Vinny Vodka
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Vinny Vodka »

Having just made my first flash tease I'm interested in learning what more I can do with the medium. One thing I haven't seen addressed yet is if there a way to capture a string and pass the information between pages.

For example, the user could see on page 1 "Hi, I'm Sandy. What's your name?" and have a box to type their name into. Then on page 2 "Hi name$, are you here to fix my air conditioner?".

2nd Question -I haven't found how to assign a variable. In my last tease the user was asked who had forbidden them from orgams with the options of
A) Wife/Girlfriend
B)Woman from internet
C)Webtease.

I used buttons to get the answer, which led to a short multipath by going to different pages, and this was all I'd planned to do with the information at the time. However near the end of the tease some 60 pages after the multipaths had merged I wanted to have Jana, the same woman who had asked the user the question originally, tell you to go and explain your failure to your wife/ woman from the internet/ milovana confessions forum. I ended up writing something that was wordier than I wanted it and felt clumsy (as Jana should have remembered your answer from before).

Is there a way to have instead assigned a variable called 'choice' and assigned it a value of A,B, or C, (or 1,2, or 3)?
If so, how could I have used the variable later to have a button bring you to page80# if $choice=A, page90# if $choice=B and page100# if $choice=C?
Could I alternatively use the variable in the dialogue as something like... if $choice=A Name$='your wife' if $choice=B Name$='your online Mistress' if $choice=C Name$='the confessions forum'. Then set it so that it says... "I think that Name$ needs to hear about your perversion."?
Vinny Vodka
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Vinny Vodka »

Bueler?
camel
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by camel »

Vinny,

The only variables are the boolean setting and unsetting of pages.

range(1, 60) will choose a page named 1 through 60 (not page1 through page60... I think that's range(1, 60, "page") but I'm not sure) and set the page.

I couldn't get must and mustnot to work (see immediately previous msgs in thread) before releasing "Cumming By Chance", so I ended up using set, unset, and range. At the start, a "loser" page (603) is set. If you do everything right, then range(602, 603) will push you to 602. However, if you tell her you didn't stroke your best throughout the count or stopped when she says off, it unsets 603 and sets 602, then forces you to try again until you get it right. The second time through (or thereafter) if you tell her you stroked your best and stopped when she says Off, then you get to that range(602, 603) and instead of continuing, it stops, saying "Well, we're done then, but you're still a loser."

Note: because range() will set the destination page, it's important that the destination page unsets itself if needed. Also, in the Nyx editor, the "reset" button doesn't always work for me... either you need a page that unsets/resets everything for a fresh start, or you need to refresh your browser, reloading the editor.

But if I were you, I'd use must and mustnot if I can get them to work. Actually, you had a question with three possibilities, so rather than must and mustnot, I'd only use must and have three different pages, one for each answer, and make sure that exactly one was set. Then, a range between three different forks would only choose the appropriate one if must() dependencies were set up correctly.
Vinny Vodka
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Vinny Vodka »

Thanks for the info. camel. I'll play around with those and see what I can and can't get to work with them.