FB: Math on Edge (Now with poll!)

All about the past, current and future webteases and the art of webteasing in general.
---

What additional feature would you like best?

Poll ended at Fri May 10, 2019 3:09 pm

Additional harder difficulty level
11%
Additional easier difficulty level
11%
Very hard fifth girl
13%
Medium hard fifth girl
21%
Easy fifth girl
5%
Restrict to denial/ruined orgasm at the start of the game
24%
Skippable texts and intros for advanced players
13%
Timers all the time (= no rests possible)
3%

Total votes: 38

itslate
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Straight

Re: FB: Math on Edge (Now with poll!)

Post by itslate »

Iambadwithnames wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:02 pm How do you unlock the fifth girl?
Spoiler: show
There's seven girls in total.
There is the starting four.
Cayenne only comes at the beginning and end.
Kiera is activated once you get few points in a playthrough. I just patched the game so that she gets deactivated once you win a game. If this is bugged please tell me.
Alex can be activated in the settings with no prior restrictions.
Unnamed_007
Explorer
Explorer
I am a: Switch

Post by Unnamed_007 »

The tease seems very well done apart from what could be called a personal quirk, specifically, in some of the girls, especially at the higher difficulty rounds the pictures turn from solo female to male/female. It's a big turn off for me personally, and I was pretty disappointing since the tease is marked female-top and not both female and male top.

Could you include a setting for it, or offer a guideme version so we can replace pictures as needed?

Thank you.
itslate
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by itslate »

Hey, thanks for the feedback.

I thought the male/female pics were not male-top. At least I can't think of any.

But sure, people have different tastes! I don't know how to make it a Guide-Me-Tease, but if anyone can do it for me or explain it, I'll help. Just make sure to also adjust some lines, especially with Caprice, Kiera and Alex, because they reference the contents of the pictures.
Unnamed_007
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Unnamed_007 »

Hey,

I have played the game once more since the last feedback, and while I still didn't earn a full orgasm (damn RNG), I did get ruined once, and a denial the other time; I now have more feedback:

The randomness of the math is too game-changing. It seems that the formula you're using can generate wildly different numbers even at the same difficulty. (easy to notice when you have to restart because of wrong answer)

For example, at the same difficulty you could get either of these sequences: 5 7 5 2 2 0 or 2 9 1 0 8 2. I think it's obvious which one would be easier to remember.

This is compounded even more when you introduce addition and multiplication. For example: 150 + 5 x 25 vs 172 + 8 x 6.

As for solutions, you could have each math question be drawn from an array of questions that are hand-made by you, this way you can guarantee uniform difficulty.

Alternatively, an easy-math mode would be very appreciated. A toggle in the settings. I'd even be up for it reducing the points you can get because of the lower difficulty, let's say with it on, you can only get up to 75 points, instead of 100.

In the same vein of allowing options, I'd very much appreciate +1 and +10 points buttons in settings. This is not because I want to make it easier, but because I might change my mind on making it harder. I usually like to start with -20, but this session I changed my mind and wanted to start with 0, however the only way to do that (that I found) was to reset the settings, which also removed hardmode as an option, and removed Keira as well.

Riding on the same wave, I'd also make Keira toggleable in the settings, just like Alex. Regardless of if you used it in the last round or not. Perhaps after you play the first time, when hardmore unlocks, Keira unlocks as well.

As you can tell, I'm very much in favor of giving people choice, and allowing them to tailor the experience to their own ability and difficulty level.

I hope this is useful feedback, and let me know if you have any questions about my experience.
itslate
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by itslate »

This is really helpful feedback! I hope my answers don't disappoint you too much.
For example, at the same difficulty you could get either of these sequences: 5 7 5 2 2 0 or 2 9 1 0 8 2. I think it's obvious which one would be easier to remember.
To me it is not that obvious, actually. Generally, bigger one-digit-numbers are harder to remember than smaller ones and patterns are easier to remember. Then again, the brain is a very difficult and complex thing, so maybe the player gets the idea to memorize the second sequence as a birthday or breaks it up as 29-108-2. There are a whole lot of mnemonic devices out there and everyone is different.
This is compounded even more when you introduce addition and multiplication. For example: 150 + 5 x 25 vs 172 + 8 x 6.
You're totally right, that is a problem. I used formulas that generate random numbers for mathematical operations. But the random numbers actually lie in pretty small intervalls. So I am a bit surprised that you got so differenct last numbers there: 25 and 6. Multiplying with a number like 25 is a lot harder than multiplying with 6 or with 13 for that matter. So that seems to be more of a bug here, as usually those intervals are a lot smaller. Especially for multiplication I forced numbers to be between 5 numbers max. So could you tell me which girl and round this was?
The randomness does mean individual calculation might vary quite a bit in difficulty. But over a match, it should even out.
As for solutions, you could have each math question be drawn from an array of questions that are hand-made by you, this way you can guarantee uniform difficulty.
I see where you are coming from, but I want indefinite replayability. I'd rather make the intervals even smaller if I get more feedback like this and risk duplicating calculations that way.
Alternatively, an easy-math mode would be very appreciated. A toggle in the settings. I'd even be up for it reducing the points you can get because of the lower difficulty, let's say with it on, you can only get up to 75 points, instead of 100.
That is really the one last big feature I am thinking about. And you touched on one of my problems with it:
- What should be the penalty for easier math? Capping the points might be an idea, yeah. But this isn't really fair if you think about it. You would have to compare the easier math with the normal mode, which essentially caps your points by making the last rounds too hard math-wise.
- Math is so essential to this game that at some point you have to say: You can't make the math easier and still call it "Math on Edge". Then it's just edge a lot while we annoy you a bit.
- Implementing easier math takes a lot of time, because I have to edit every single calculation in the game.
- How to make Caprice easier mathwise without making the rest of her game easier?
Then again, adjusting the experience is a goal of mine. Also I dislike the idea of the choice in the third round between harder edging and harder math not be meaningful. I like your idea of making Kiera available in the settings, I think that's a better step of adressing the hard math. But I hear you and I'll keep thinking about it, but if I had to do something about it, I'd rather program a new easy math girl, because it's more fun to write.
I usually like to start with -20, but this session I changed my mind and wanted to start with 0, however the only way to do that (that I found) was to reset the settings
You should be able to abort the game and say you don't want to load the savegame when you start the tease again.
Unnamed_007
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Unnamed_007 »

itslate wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:42 am -
I am not at all dissapointed, at the end of the day you have your own vision and reasoning for your project, and I can not hope to impose my own on your artwork. Reading over my initial post and your response it might seem like I was critical and there wasn't enough good things, so I'd like to preface this with saying that regardless of the issues, I do think that this is one of the best teases on the website. In a very short list, with one or two of Shattered's teases.

As for the math becoming redundant at some point, yes and no, I feel that if you make it way too easy Kiera-style, then yeah, it would just be slightly annoying like you said, but I think there's a common ground between too hard for some and learning disability math.

I'd be in favor of more girls as well, perhaps some other easy mode girls like Kiera.
itslate
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by itslate »

Hey all, I just wanted to drop in at the start of Christmas season and thank you for your support. It actually means something to me that this tease has been in the all time top 10 for most of the year.

I am thinking whether to incorporate more feedback for this tease (like an "edging mode" with easier math but more edging) or whether to convert my UTD tease to eos and give it a major rework. I don't have much time, but when I do, I'll work on one of the projects probably.

Have a great time
itslate
lestrian
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by lestrian »

Just started up a new game and played the Anjelica round. Are you supposed to immediately be in "edgemode" or is that a bug? Anjelica did ask me "You will choose how to torment yourself even more" and I only got the option "Harder edging" so maybe that's when it was selected for me?
itslate
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by itslate »

lestrian wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:58 pm Just started up a new game and played the Anjelica round. Are you supposed to immediately be in "edgemode" or is that a bug? Anjelica did ask me "You will choose how to torment yourself even more" and I only got the option "Harder edging" so maybe that's when it was selected for me?
This issue should be fixed with the new version. Please tell me if it comes up again.

And by the way, I just rolled out the last big update. I added Edgemode, which makes the math quite a bit easier but lets you edge more.

I hope you guys like it and I am now working on a new project, leaving Math on Edge behind me.

Unless you find bugs, of course ;-)
Okokokok
Curious Newbie
Curious Newbie

Post by Okokokok »

There isn’t audio on iPhone, is there a browser that works?
Kongming
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Kongming »

Not sure whether it's a bug, but the last 2 times I played it whenever I visit Anjelica she would initiate Edge Mode even though I deactivated it :(
shib
Explorer
Explorer

Post by shib »

itslate wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 2:29 pm This issue should be fixed with the new version. Please tell me if it comes up again.

And by the way, I just rolled out the last big update. I added Edgemode, which makes the math quite a bit easier but lets you edge more.

I hope you guys like it and I am now working on a new project, leaving Math on Edge behind me.

Unless you find bugs, of course ;-)
I chose Angelica first and had no other option than to enable harder edging, which then stuck for the rest of the girls as well.
I'm basically fine with this. Edging is my jam. Just thought you should know, since I'm ostensibly making a choice there.

A more pressing concern is that I was given an "edge 80 seconds" task during caprice says. At the end though, there was no button for edge 80 seconds; just 20, 40, and 60. That left me with no way of getting the sequence correct, regardless of my memory.
itslate
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by itslate »

Kongming wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:50 pm Not sure whether it's a bug, but the last 2 times I played it whenever I visit Anjelica she would initiate Edge Mode even though I deactivated it :(
Hmmm, that's strange. I double-checked the script.
How did she initiate it? Did she say things in the first 2 rounds of hers about you being in Edge Mode? Or was there no button for harder math in the third round?
shib wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:34 pm I chose Angelica first and had no other option than to enable harder edging, which then stuck for the rest of the girls as well.
I'm basically fine with this. Edging is my jam. Just thought you should know, since I'm ostensibly making a choice there.
Is this bug repeatable? This should only happen in Edge Mode.
shib wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:34 pm A more pressing concern is that I was given an "edge 80 seconds" task during caprice says. At the end though, there was no button for edge 80 seconds; just 20, 40, and 60. That left me with no way of getting the sequence correct, regardless of my memory.
This is happening in Edge Mode as well. You don't have to remember this task or input it. This is so you have to remember less tasks, but you pay for it with more edging.

You can deactivate Edge Mode in the settings (hopefully...).
Kongming
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Kongming »

itslate wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:52 am
Kongming wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:50 pm Not sure whether it's a bug, but the last 2 times I played it whenever I visit Anjelica she would initiate Edge Mode even though I deactivated it :(
Hmmm, that's strange. I double-checked the script.
How did she initiate it? Did she say things in the first 2 rounds of hers about you being in Edge Mode? Or was there no button for harder math in the third round?
So.. in Round 1 she says "Very good. Nice and close, especially in Edgemode". Not sure whether she always says it regardless in which mode she is.

In Round 3 I only have the option to choose "Harder Edging"

I just tested this again, with a reset save file and making sure that edgemode was deactivated.
itslate
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by itslate »

Kongming wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:04 pm I just tested this again, with a reset save file and making sure that edgemode was deactivated.
Thanks for your feedback. I think I found the error and it should be fixed now! :-)