All about the past, current and future webteases and the art of webteasing in general.
---
Trusfrated
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Trusfrated »

https://milovana.com/webteases/showflash.php?id=35401

I felt compelled to start this thread so this tease by Lovecraft is not completely overlooked. It doesn't currently have a thumbnail, and only an average rating. But I think it has a lot of potential if it were to be fixed up just a little bit!

As it's description states, it is an adventure story. I particularly like these sorts of teases with a story that can go different ways. There are lots of twists and turns and ways the story can end prematurely. It's just such a huge tease that I can't imagine playing it in Nyx. I downloaded it and played it with GuideMe. I encountered several game-breaking bugs that I was able to work around with GuideMe's debug option (as well as skip longer delays). But they could be easily fixed. It's also so long that it could really use a code system to jump to certain chapters or checkpoints.

But, so much work went it this! It's something like 3000 pages! I encourage others to look at this tease. I also encourage Lovecraft to clean it up and release a bug-free version with checkpoints, perhaps even a GuideMe version.

Did anyone else like it?
ImageImage
lovecraft
Explorer
Explorer
Sexual Orientation: Straight

Re: Feedback: Will you save America? by Lovecraft

Post by lovecraft »

I worked on this tease several months and I finally released it because on nyx it was so buggy I couldnt work on it anymore. The copy/past function started to bug, the thumbnail do not work (I chose one but I dont know why it never worked). Maybe this is because this tease is too long (I wanted to create different possible stories), I dont know. So I finally gave up and released it.

If you send me the list of the main bugs, I can try to fix them. But nyx is so slow and buggy, I hope there is only a few bug to fix... :-/
Trusfrated
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Trusfrated »

The thumbnail issue can most likely be corrected using the technique in this thread.

I'm sorry you spent so much time on it only for Nyx to frustrate you into submission. We're all looking forward to Seraphox's forthcoming upgrades.

I ran your tease through Philo's MWT Editor's page checker and came up with a list of critical and non-critical errors. I'll PM you.

Thanks for your work on this and the one about Kika! Both were great. :wave:
ImageImage
CockHeroChampion12
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
I am a: Submissive

Post by CockHeroChampion12 »

lovecraft wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:22 pm I worked on this tease several months and I finally released it because on nyx it was so buggy I couldnt work on it anymore. The copy/past function started to bug, the thumbnail do not work (I chose one but I dont know why it never worked). Maybe this is because this tease is too long (I wanted to create different possible stories), I dont know. So I finally gave up and released it.

If you send me the list of the main bugs, I can try to fix them. But nyx is so slow and buggy, I hope there is only a few bug to fix... :-/
I agree totally with you on nyx taking the piss. But choosing a thumbnail is super easy and takes no time at all, just like Trusfrated said! I will try your tease when i get a free minute, but i have a crazy work/personal life schedule atm!
Spoiler: show
ImageImage ImageImage Image
CockHeroChampion12
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
I am a: Submissive

Post by CockHeroChampion12 »

Trusfrated wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:39 pm The thumbnail issue can most likely be corrected using the technique in this thread.

I'm sorry you spent so much time on it only for Nyx to frustrate you into submission. We're all looking forward to Seraphox's forthcoming upgrades.

I ran your tease through Philo's MWT Editor's page checker and came up with a list of critical and non-critical errors. I'll PM you.

Thanks for your work on this and the one about Kika! Both were great. :wave:
Hi, could you link me to Philo's MWT Editor's page checker please?
ImageImage ImageImage Image
Trusfrated
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Trusfrated »

CockHeroChampion12 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:07 pm Hi, could you link me to Philo's MWT Editor's page checker please?
The main thread for the "offline editor" is here. (I think "MWT" --part of the filename-- stands for Milovana WebTease.)

It was made by Philo to allow creation of teases offline, in XML. I also has the functionality to check your tease for errors, and to convert the XML to NYX. That way, you could just copy and paste all of the code without dealing with NYX's visual editor. It's not perfect, but myself and several others have found it really helpful in creating our teases. Because it generates XML natively, you can test your tease offline with GuideMe or TeaseMe, as well.

Regarding Lovecraft's tease, yesterday while looking at the code in the Offline Editor I noticed there are huge sections that I didn't see before. It looks like there are large chunks of the story (alternate endings/options) that aren't accessible because no page button or delay links to it. In other words, there's a lot of content that was created but not used. :w00t:

Here's hoping we can see a proper, full, bug-free, (maybe even checkpoint-enabled) release of this someday. :smile:
ImageImage
lovecraft
Explorer
Explorer

Post by lovecraft »

I didnt realized my tease was so buggy when I published it :-(

So I unpublished it, I am starting to correct the main errors with the file Trusfrated sent me (thanks !) and then I will publish it in a debugged version.

Thanks for the advice for the thumbnail, I will correct that too !
Shattered
Experimentor
Experimentor
I am a: Switch

Post by Shattered »

lovecraft wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:22 pm I worked on this tease several months and I finally released it because on nyx it was so buggy I couldnt work on it anymore. The copy/past function started to bug, the thumbnail do not work (I chose one but I dont know why it never worked). Maybe this is because this tease is too long (I wanted to create different possible stories), I dont know. So I finally gave up and released it.

My experience is when you upload an image, ctrl stops working until you reset your browser. :lol:

Might help.
onlytropics
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by onlytropics »

I can't really say anything about bugs, I haven't tried it.

I just want to say it sounds like it is a really long tease with a story, and being able to spread it out over more than one day sounds great to me. Like if you either add chapter links, or if you separate it into several teases. That offers the opportunity to add a bit of denial to it if the player wants to. :innocent:

I sincerely appreciate the work you already put into this, and I hope you take the time to make it a 5/7 tease :-D
Keep it up!
Reasons to have oranges at home:
1. they're healthy
2. smells nice
3. Milovana
Trusfrated
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Trusfrated »

Trusfrated wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:24 pm Regarding Lovecraft's tease, yesterday while looking at the code in the Offline Editor I noticed there are huge sections that I didn't see before. It looks like there are large chunks of the story (alternate endings/options) that aren't accessible because no page button or delay links to it. In other words, there's a lot of content that was created but not used. :w00t:

Here's hoping we can see a proper, full, bug-free, (maybe even checkpoint-enabled) release of this someday. :smile:
I'd just like to state that I made a mistake; the tease is not as buggy or orphaned as I had originally thought. It's now become clear that Lovecraft used some advanced Nyx scripting on some pages that didn't translate well when downloaded for offline use. I think a tease of this size works best offline or with breaks of some kind, but as published here on Milo it's likely working as intended. I apologize for making it sound like it was less than it is. :weep:
ImageImage
lovecraft
Explorer
Explorer

Post by lovecraft »

I published the tease. A lot of bugs are fixed. If there is still some bug, just tell me and I will try to fix them too, thanks !
Corvas
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Corvas »

Trusfrated wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:35 am https://milovana.com/webteases/showflash.php?id=35401

I felt compelled to start this thread so this tease by Lovecraft is not completely overlooked. It doesn't currently have a thumbnail, and only an average rating. But I think it has a lot of potential if it were to be fixed up just a little bit!

As it's description states, it is an adventure story. I particularly like these sorts of teases with a story that can go different ways. There are lots of twists and turns and ways the story can end prematurely. It's just such a huge tease that I can't imagine playing it in Nyx. I downloaded it and played it with GuideMe. I encountered several game-breaking bugs that I was able to work around with GuideMe's debug option (as well as skip longer delays). But they could be easily fixed. It's also so long that it could really use a code system to jump to certain chapters or checkpoints.

But, so much work went it this! It's something like 3000 pages! I encourage others to look at this tease. I also encourage Lovecraft to clean it up and release a bug-free version with checkpoints, perhaps even a GuideMe version.

Did anyone else like it?
I recently downloaded this tease and starting playing it with guideme but some of the pages don't seem to be able to be displayed starting at page 424 the tease uses some type of ui that guideme doesn't seem to be able to display and the screen just goes black, any idea how to get passed that? I'm a fairly new to using guideme so i'm not sure how all of the debug stuff works.
Trusfrated
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Trusfrated »

Corvas wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:07 pm I recently downloaded this tease and starting playing it with guideme but some of the pages don't seem to be able to be displayed starting at page 424 the tease uses some type of ui that guideme doesn't seem to be able to display and the screen just goes black, any idea how to get passed that? I'm a fairly new to using guideme so i'm not sure how all of the debug stuff works.
Yes, I had the same issue. Every time there is a major story junction point, the tease uses a special Nyx format that GuideMe (or the Downloader) can't comprehend. It's looks cool and unique in the browser, so I compliment the author on that. But for us that like to use GuideMe, it stops the tease dead in its tracks. You pretty much have to open the xml in a Notepad app and look at the original code in order to determine what the page said, what your choices were, and what pages to possibly jump to.

For example:
In GuideMe, look at the status line or use Alt-D to open the Debugging window to determine what page you are at.
Open the xml file that Philo's Downloader created and placed in the folder where your teases are stored. (I use Notepad++)
Search for the exact page name, or the phrase: "media:vert" and continue until you are at the section of code for that page.
You will see a bunch of captial "I"'s and right after that will be the text for the screen followed by the button choices. In the example for page424, it asks you if you give her your gun or refuse to. If you give her your gun you jump to page425, otherwise it is page873. You can use the dropdown menu in the Debugging window to jump to either of these pages.

I had intended to re-create the 9 offending pages myself so I could play through easier without interuption, but I haven't had time or desire lately. Lovecraft, if I did that (and maybe added checkpoints), would you mind if I shared the new xml file here? :whistle:
ImageImage
Corvas
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Corvas »

Trusfrated wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:29 am
Corvas wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:07 pm For example:
In GuideMe, look at the status line or use Alt-D to open the Debugging window
Thanks for the tips, knowing how to skip pages is a tremendous help to me :-D and navigating the xml file isn't too much of a hassle. Though if you ever did end up reworking some of the pages just to make it hassle free i'd certainly make use of it however i can certainly make due with it as is, i'm just glad i can actually play it, :-D 👍 thanks again.
lovecraft
Explorer
Explorer

Post by lovecraft »

I had intended to re-create the 9 offending pages myself so I could play through easier without interuption, but I haven't had time or desire lately. Lovecraft, if I did that (and maybe added checkpoints), would you mind if I shared the new xml file here? :whistle:
Of course you can share it. If I had known, I would do otherwise. Next time I will do something easier and more regular with the script. :innocent:

Edit : Is there anyone here who reached the happy end after the Kortney and Asa's stripclub, or is my tease way too hard ?