Penile Plethysmograph

This is the place for all suggestions, releases and feedback regarding Milovana Hardware efforts.
fursub
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Penile Plethysmograph

Post by fursub »

I suggest running an algorithm on the data, whether analogue or digital, that takes into account the contractions as a whole rather than working on each pulse.

But what should the algorithm be?

I remember PCM3 (PC Mistress 3) had such an algorithm built in based on how long it took to edge but can't remember what it was.

So for example using this technique one could learn the algorithm by hitting the space button at each edge for 3 edges, PC shuts off vibe for a short while after each space bar hit. Then off it runs on its own!
Nezhul
Experimentor
Experimentor
Sexual Orientation: Straight

Post by Nezhul »

I believe that's not really eficient because:
1) I expect that the more you are teased the less you'll need to edge (as it's getting more sensitive)
2) The time may highly depend on your current arousal Which in my case would depend on the current scene in the video. There may be just a naked women, or a naked women CUMMING and moaning which is far more arousing to me.
Check out my new site, and read SexTV story there!
Also I have the DARK section that features feature Erotic Horror.
I also launched a SubscribeStar recently! Please come check it out!
Updated whenever I feel like it. :wave: :love:
smallhorse

Post by smallhorse »

In fact i myself use a Running-Average algorithm which turns off vibrations only if the twitch has a specific intensity over eg 200ms. Also slowly starting the vibrations helps in more control over initial twitches. Or you could just ignore the sensor readings for some seconds after a restart.
Also indeed it requires selfcontrol because just relaxing you will twitch often without edging. For myself in eg bondage it is a huge turnon to be able to edge (even taking some time) but yet unable to come. And yes. Edging IS frustrating in a Way ;-))
PiJoy
Explorer
Explorer
Dom/me(s): Not yet
Sub/Slave(s): Not yet

Post by PiJoy »

fursub wrote:I suggest running an algorithm on the data, whether analogue or digital, that takes into account the contractions as a whole rather than working on each pulse.

But what should the algorithm be?

I remember PCM3 (PC Mistress 3) had such an algorithm built in based on how long it took to edge but can't remember what it was.

<snip>
--------
Here's some info on the key aspects of an algorithm I used with a similar analog sensor, a force-sensing resistor (FSR):

I found that a high-pass filter (DC-blocking filter) did a good job of removing session-to-session bias variations and slow drifts that seem unrelated to pre-orgasm-sensing. Stripping off the DC/very low freq variations permitted me to amplify the resulting signal significantly, which was very helpful. Since I also had a vibrator built into the toy, I found it neccessary to also fiter out the high frequency variations (from the vibe.) The combination of high-pass, gain and low-pass was the equivalent of a bandpass filter plus lots of gain, leading to a sensor sensitive to the frequency band most of interest. My data flow was essentially this:

FSR_sensor => Linearizing Circuit => High-pass filter => Amplifier => Low-pass filter =>

A2D_ converter=> microprocessor => detection_algorithm =>

adjustable threshhold /timeout/hysteresis => vibrator-control

My detection algorithm first scored each detected squeeze (area of the pulse, between the signal and a programmable threshold), and time-tagged them into a buffer. The second part of the algorithm weighted the squeeze history buffer, using age as the main weighting factor (with older events weighted less.) This signal processing resulted in an arousal or, more to the point, "close-to-orgasm" signal."

I applied an adjustable threshhold to that signal, along with a (programmable) timeout. The resulting system let my vibrators run when the pre-orgasm signal was below the current threshhold. When the threshhold was exceeded, a timer was engaged, and the vibrators were turned off for just enough time for the subject's closeness to orgasm to decrease. Similarly, the algorithm wouldn't re-engage the vibrators until the signal had dropped to some (again programmable) level. The result is a nice long sessions of being highly aroused, but unable to cum.

Since I enjoy the eventual orgasm, instead of frustration, I added a "finale" mode to my system, triggered by a button. This caused my controller to "roll the dice" to determine how many more near-orgasms to put me through, before it turned on all the vibrators full-blast, to make me cum. However, I gave it a significant range to choose from. What I liked about this was that, once I pushed the finale button, I knew that any edge/near orgasm *might* finally be the big O I wanted so badly, however, I never knew what random number my controller selected, until I was cumming!

Any thoughts or comments would be most welcome.
camel
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
I am a: Switch

Post by camel »

What I liked about this was that, once I pushed the finale button, I knew that any edge/near orgasm *might* finally be the big O I wanted so badly, however, I never knew what random number my controller selected, until I was cumming!
WANT!

Why doesn't anyone sell these things???

Can you make a new one, PiJoy? Can your algorithm adjust to others?
PiJoy
Explorer
Explorer

Post by PiJoy »

camel wrote:
What I liked about this was that, once I pushed the finale button, I knew that any edge/near orgasm *might* finally be the big O I wanted so badly, however, I never knew what random number my controller selected, until I was cumming!
WANT!

Why doesn't anyone sell these things???

Can you make a new one, PiJoy? Can your algorithm adjust to others?
@Camel,

Thanks for your kind words about my edging system. I believe there are a couple reasons nobody is selling these things, at least not yet:

First off, the sensor and signal conditioning circuitry is complex, at least compared to most sex toys (with the exception of higher-end eStim rigs.) I've recently learned (to my sorrow) that my waterproofing of the sensor was inadequate, and corrosion killed my sensor, sometime while it was stored away.

Second, the algorithm to go from raw sensor signals to a good "close-to-orgasm" signal is somewhat complex, and (so far) is tuned only to my own responses. I suspect that tuning it to another guy would be easy. However, from the published literature on Female pelvic-muscle response is sufficiently different that the interface electronics and the algorithm would probably need to be different. I hate to be a money-grubbing SOB, but I do have dreams of eventually making a product. I'm happy to disclose the general approach I've taken (and I've done some of that in this and other forum threads here), but I'm not ready to share the actual code and detailed schematics yet. Sorry if that's a dissapointment; I'll have to see how things go.

Thirdly, I live in the US, a very lawsuit-happy place, and I'd be wary of selling anything (or even putting out detailed DIY instructions on the net) that could possibly hurt somebody, even if they didn't follow the instructions. One lawsuit could mean bankruptsy and other legal/financial woes. I recently got a nibble from a fellow who says he has the business experience and contacts to commerciallize this sort of thing, but I'm proceeding cautiously, since I've been burned before.

However, I'm not giving up. I've started re-designing the sensor (and making it more durable and waterproof.) I'm also looking at different ways to do the sensing and signal processing. My original used only one sensor, and did all calculations on an 8-bit CPU, and I was pushing its computational/speed limits. I may re-design it so that most of the compute-heavy work is done on a companion PC, and the microprocessor is basically just a smart I/O device. This drags a PC or laptop into the play space, but it also has its upsides -- both more computational fire power and the possibility of giving it a much better user interface. On the other hand, there are now 32-bit processors more widely available, and there's even a 32-bit ARM-based version of the Arduino, coming out by the end of this year. Fingers crossed on that! See
http://arduino.cc/blog/2011/09/17/ardui ... ker-faire/ and look for the "Arduino Due" partway down.

My current user interface is very bare bones -- LEDs on the vibrator channels and three pushbuttons + one dial for the user interface (designed to be held in one hand.) A system designed specifically for self use is different (at least from the user-interface perspective) from a system designed for use on another subject (err victim, <insert evil laughter here.>) Once I get my device working again, I'll probably be on the lookout for test subjects in my general area. It'll be at least a couple months; I have lots of other things competing for my time and effort. But I do intend to rebuild a system that works at least as well as what I had.

In the meantime, I suggest you look at this topic as a motivator to learn some electronics and programming -- what other course of study has helped you have intense orgasms? :-D
Nezhul
Experimentor
Experimentor

Post by Nezhul »

Hope you'll make this toy eventually. As for tuning (for men) I don't see a big problem here actually. Everyone has PC muscle responce, someone may have it a bit weaker than others, perhaps, but installing a simple variable on a toy to lower the limit recognized as PC flex should do.

What sensor do you use now?
Bandit224
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Bandit224 »

"I recently got a nibble from a fellow who says he has the business experience and contacts to commerciallize this sort of thing, but I'm proceeding cautiously, since I've been burned before. "

What you're doing could easily count as medical research. Sadly, the US has lots of strict rules regarding medical research as well, but we could be your lab rats. After all, medical researchers have people put potentially much more harmful things in their bodies. :lol:

"This drags a PC or laptop into the play space, but it also has its upsides -- both more computational fire power and the possibility of giving it a much better user interface. "

You have to use a PC, or laptop, to access milovana.com anyways, so people here are pretty used to masturbating near one. Though I guess this website could be accessed through a cellphone and probably a long list of other devices nowadays.
micheleFFS
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Open to new ideas!
Dom/me(s): Not currently serving a Superior. I'd love to negotiate a contract to encourage my writing, as I've done in the past.
Any genuine females interested?

Post by micheleFFS »

What exactly are you guys trying to build? I'm fascinated by this forum and have lurked for a while, don't have anything to contribute, but if you ever get a marketable device, I might be the person to write the documentation and marketing material.

I gather you're working on an interactive male masturbater. I suppose the addition of the penile plethysmograph is to detect when ejaculation is imminent and either increase or remove stimulation, depending on the experience the fiendish controller wishes the user to experience.

Bring him to the edge X times, then allow/disallow orgasm and ejaculation? Tie the program to a webtease? Or is a state secret?

micheleFFS
Bandit224
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Bandit224 »

micheleFFS wrote:What exactly are you guys trying to build?
Bring him to the edge X times, then allow/disallow orgasm and ejaculation? Tie the program to a webtease? Or is a state secret?

micheleFFS
It's a bring him to edge X times and not allow orgasm and ejaculation until after the Xth edge. It'll likely get tied into the "call for participation" project to implement webtease software interaction with the device.
micheleFFS
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Open to new ideas!
Dom/me(s): Not currently serving a Superior. I'd love to negotiate a contract to encourage my writing, as I've done in the past.
Any genuine females interested?

Post by micheleFFS »

Thanks, Bandit. Sounds like a worthy project.

Where do I place my order?

micheleFFS
Bandit224
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Bandit224 »

micheleFFS wrote:Where do I place my order?
micheleFFS
Both projects are still in development and open-sourced. You'll have to build the device yourself from the source, but PiJoy might be starting a company.
PiJoy
Explorer
Explorer

Post by PiJoy »

Bandit224 wrote:
micheleFFS wrote:What exactly are you guys trying to build?

micheleFFS
It's a bring him to edge X times and not allow orgasm and ejaculation until after the Xth edge. It'll likely get tied into the "call for participation" project to implement webtease software interaction with the device.
Greetings all,

First off, thank you for your enthusiastic attitude, micheleFFS, Bandit224 and other who have contributed to this and related threads.

There are two different projects. The official one is to develop software and hardware to enable Milovana teases to control hardware (namely vibrators, for the first iteration.)

The separate topic of making a closeness-to-orgasm sensor and a teasing machine that uses the sensor, is something that I and some other Milovanan's (e.g. smallhorse and some other people active on this thread) have been working on, informally. Such a system could (as mentioned above) eventually allow orgasm, but it could also be set up (I believe) to do tease and complete denial of orgasm, especially if assisted by some light bondage (to keep the user's hands away from their genitals.) It's my hope to make my system work for both guys and gals, but I'm still rebuilding my system, and working on adding some improvements. I would very much like to develop sensors and signal processing (series of mathematical operations on the data) to detect closeness-to-orgasm in women and well as men. That will almost certainly be two related-but-different signal-processing algorithms, and possibly different sensors.

I haven't decided how much more of my own sensor and signal processing algorithms to reveal. I am in a situation where money is tight, so I *might* try to develop it as a product. However, there are numerous issues making that hard to do, at least in the regulation and lawsuit-happy USA, and there is also an existing patent, that I've mentioned somewhere on Milovana's forums. I think my sensor (and smalllhorse's completely different sensor) are sufficiently different in their operating principles that they don't infringe. However, I'm neither a lawyer nor a patent expert to be sure. In the meantime, feel free to get in touch with me, especially if you're in my general area (see my profile.)

However, I will continue to assist Milovanan's with hardware-enabling teases, and contribute all my efforts on that openly. (At this point, I don't think we've even considered what sort of open-source license to adopt, if any.) I favor some sort of open-source licensing of the vibrator/etc hardware-enabled tease hardware and software, so no company can take it and turn around and force us not to make or use the very hardware design and software we've developed. There are many open-source licenses that are appropriate to software. The situation is less clear for how best to open-source license hardware, namely, schematics, bill of materials (list of components) and circuit board patterns and related files needed to reproduce the hardware. If anybody reading this knows more about open-source licensing for hardware designs (or has a reasonably polite opinion), please don't hesitate to chime in.
PiJoy
Explorer
Explorer

Penile Plethysmograph: photographs of new prototype

Post by PiJoy »

Greetings all,

I've made a working penile plethysmograph using conductive rubber:
Conductive Rubber Band Based Penile Plethy, First Working Prototype
Conductive Rubber Band Based Penile Plethy, First Working Prototype
BandPlethyOverviewFront_RR60_1888.jpg (185.24 KiB) Viewed 5550 times

I suggest scrolling the image towards the bottom right corner, to see the thin conductive-rubber cord that is the key part of this sensor. The rubber is quite stretchy, and one can barely feel the sensor, when it's in place.

This seems to work well, for a first prototype. The conductive rubber I'm using is much higher resistance than the Indium/Gallium used in research instruments. This makes the resistance (a few kilo-ohms) a much easier value to make measurements from, using standard electronics (wheatstone bridge + differential amp.) The sensor is adjustable for girth, via a slot melted into the nylon webbing, and a wingnut for tool-free adjustment. Next time I'll use finer-gauge wire attached to the sensor, so the wires won't be so awkward.

Suggestions, comments, questions, or requests for more photos welcomed.
Nezhul
Experimentor
Experimentor

Post by Nezhul »

Request is only one - if you manage to build an edging device - spare some time to post a complete step-by-step instruction for noobz on how to build it. Personally I don't have time right now to study electronics to the extent of building the thing on my own.