Penile Plethysmograph

This is the place for all suggestions, releases and feedback regarding Milovana Hardware efforts.
PiJoy
Explorer
Explorer
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Dom/me(s): Not yet
Sub/Slave(s): Not yet

Re: Penile Plethysmograph: photographs of new prototype

Post by PiJoy »

PiJoy wrote:Greetings all,

I've made a working penile plethysmograph using conductive rubber: (See my earliest post.)
This seems to work well, for a first prototype. The conductive rubber I'm using is much higher resistance than the Indium/Gallium used in research instruments. This makes the resistance (a few kilo-ohms) a much easier value to make measurements from, using standard electronics (wheatstone bridge + differential amp.) The sensor is adjustable for girth, via a slot melted into the nylon webbing, and a wingnut for tool-free adjustment. Next time I'll use finer-gauge wire attached to the sensor, so the wires won't be so awkward.
<snip>
After a break from the holidays, I'm back to working on these sensors, starting with the conductive rubber penile plethysmograph. I have vastly improved the CPU processing power (8bit to 32-bit processor) that'll be reading this sensor and then controlling several channels of vibes. More CPU power will make it possible to try multiple algorithms for estimating CTO, to see which ones are best (this may be someting we'd need to how individuals differ, and account for that, as well. The ultimate purpose is to have sensors+software to detect "close to orgasm" (CTO), so the vibes can pause, or slow way down.
Anybody interested in hearing more, making suggestions, possibly serving as an alpha tester (nearby strongly preferred), please get in touch with me here or via private message.

PiJoy
(A kinky technologist, trying to multiply the joy in the world.)
scoobydome
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Penile Plethysmograph: photographs of new prototype

Post by scoobydome »

I have attempted this with a conductive rubber ring however the resistance seems to decrease instead of increase when the rubber is extended - doesn't make any sense, I think I may be getting wrong readings from my ohm meter... it's set to 2 Megaohms, and I connected the rubber to two metallic clips then connected to the ohm meter...

Is the project still going on?
PiJoy wrote:
PiJoy wrote:Greetings all,

I've made a working penile plethysmograph using conductive rubber: (See my earliest post.)
This seems to work well, for a first prototype. The conductive rubber I'm using is much higher resistance than the Indium/Gallium used in research instruments. This makes the resistance (a few kilo-ohms) a much easier value to make measurements from, using standard electronics (wheatstone bridge + differential amp.) The sensor is adjustable for girth, via a slot melted into the nylon webbing, and a wingnut for tool-free adjustment. Next time I'll use finer-gauge wire attached to the sensor, so the wires won't be so awkward.
<snip>
After a break from the holidays, I'm back to working on these sensors, starting with the conductive rubber penile plethysmograph. I have vastly improved the CPU processing power (8bit to 32-bit processor) that'll be reading this sensor and then controlling several channels of vibes. More CPU power will make it possible to try multiple algorithms for estimating CTO, to see which ones are best (this may be someting we'd need to how individuals differ, and account for that, as well. The ultimate purpose is to have sensors+software to detect "close to orgasm" (CTO), so the vibes can pause, or slow way down.
Anybody interested in hearing more, making suggestions, possibly serving as an alpha tester (nearby strongly preferred), please get in touch with me here or via private message.

PiJoy
(A kinky technologist, trying to multiply the joy in the world.)
Bandit224
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Re: Penile Plethysmograph

Post by Bandit224 »

How is the penile plethysmograph coming along? Would magnets interfere with the measurements? You could try using magnets to hold them in place, instead of wires.
PiJoy
Explorer
Explorer

Post by PiJoy »

Bandit224 wrote:How is the penile plethysmograph coming along? Would magnets interfere with the measurements? You could try using magnets to hold them in place, instead of wires.
Bandit,

I took a break from the penile plethysmograph (PP) to design/build a controller for a Hitachi Magic Wand (powered by house current.) I was approached by a guy who would like an automated teasing/tantalizing device for his lady, specifically one that controls a Hitachi to do the tantalizing. I have that working pretty well. For safety, the design uses opto-isolators to keep the House-current circuitry completely separate from the rest of the controller. If anybody's interested, I started off with the circuit and code at http://arduino.cc/playground/Code/ACPhaseControl.

However, I've departed significantly from there. Among other things, I've added multiple modes of operation and removed the delay loops. (IMHO, delay loops in an interrupt service routine is not good design.) If any of you are on FetLife, I have more tech detail on my Hitachi controller written up at https://fetlife.com/users/1122050/posts/899880 .

I've got the hardware working for the PP based on conductive rubber and also an anal probe that uses a force-sensitive resistor (FSR.) Now I have to port my old algorithm to the new processor and language. Slow progress, but I'm getting there.

Magnets would not affect any of the sensors I am or am planning to use. Magnets might be a convenient means to attach. The question is, what do they attach to. And what does that thing attach to -- and how? Magnets sound like they could act as a quick attach/detach device, and anything that makes a toy easier to use is IMHO a good thing. However, I'm still not quite clear exactly how you're thinking of using the magnets. If you can easily make one, I'd love to see a diagram or sketch.

Thanks for your comments and ideas,

PiJoy
Bandit224
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Bandit224 »

On the magnets, I was just thinking having opposite polarity magnets, plus to one sensor and negative to the other. Then, the magnets would grip together with the cock in between. The opposite poles attract so the magnets would push each other into the opposite sides of the cock, while holding the sensors to the cock.
Basically, instead of wires gripping the sensors to the cock, the magnets would act as a weak clamp to clamp the sensors to the cock.
negative magnet -> sensor -> Cock <- sensor <- positive magnet

On the good side, as the cock expands during an erection, it would easily separate the magnets making it feel no restriction at the head of the penis, or any other inconveniences of a wire.

On the bad, if the magnets are too weak, they'll fall off too easily, and if they're too strong they'll be uncomfortable. Wires, on the other hand, are adjustable.
lemming
Explorer
Explorer

Post by lemming »

So PiJoy, you seem to have all the pieces in place to build the automated teasing machine, at least for a woman.

With a bound lady, with the hitachi bound in place, your machine gets us at least 50% of the way there. So then what is required in your mind to take that next step where the machine can sense kegel contractions (which can't be avoided on the way to orgasm, if I understand correctly and from experiments with my wife where she describes it as amazing when I tease her and feel for those contractions with my fingers to stop)

How close are you to the holy grail?
PiJoy
Explorer
Explorer

Post by PiJoy »

lemming wrote:So PiJoy, you seem to have all the pieces in place to build the automated teasing machine, at least for a woman.

With a bound lady, with the hitachi bound in place, your machine gets us at least 50% of the way there. So then what is required in your mind to take that next step where the machine can sense kegel contractions (which can't be avoided on the way to orgasm, if I understand correctly and from experiments with my wife where she describes it as amazing when I tease her and feel for those contractions with my fingers to stop)

How close are you to the holy grail?

@lemming,

Thanks for your kind words. Thanks also for describing how you and your wife do teasing, based on vaginal contractions.

My progress is slower than I'd like due to personal issues. (Among other things, I'm on crutches and my knee may need surgery.)

I'm pleased with my Hitachi controller, and I've gotten more comments/interest in that than in a teasing device for either sex. However, I'm still more interested in automated teasing, and the Hitachi is an uncomfortable overload for me, unless I'm running it at a very low speed or in such short bursts that it never gets up to full speed. I think I'm more tactile/sensitive than most guys.

At present, I'm actually closer to the "Holy Grail" of hands-free, fully automated teasing for males, rather than females. I have one sensor (anal probe) that works for both sexes and another (conductive-rubber based penile phethysmograph) that works only on males. As far as a vaginal contraction/kegel sensor, I've been told that keeping it in the same place is difficult, resulting in motion artifacts in the signal. I also have more ability to run tests with myself as the test subject than on women. There is some data published on female plethy/muscle response (e.g. from Prof. Meston's lab, see http://www.springerlink.com/content/f88 ... 1r/?MUD=MP ), but lack of the ability to do tests on a female subject is one of the main reasons my device is closer to perfection for males than for females.

The main issue right now is developing and optimizing algorithms that go from raw sensor signal to a robust estimate of "closeness to orgasm" AKA CTO. A closely related issue (for a system to work for anybody other than me) is developing a reliable, automated means to adjust the parameters of the CTO-estimation algorithm to different users. I think this is key because people respond differently, so what works well to estimate CTO for one, may not work nearly as well for another user, even one of the same sex.

If anybody reading is either in, or travels to the greater Boston area, by all means please contact me. I think a collaboration could help bring my device to fruition -- as well as being a lot of fun during development/testing.

Best regards,

PiJoy
Bandit224
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Bandit224 »

PiJoy wrote: The main issue right now is developing and optimizing algorithms that go from raw sensor signal to a robust estimate of "closeness to orgasm" AKA CTO. A closely related issue (for a system to work for anybody other than me) is developing a reliable, automated means to adjust the parameters of the CTO-estimation algorithm to different users. I think this is key because people respond differently, so what works well to estimate CTO for one, may not work nearly as well for another user, even one of the same sex.
A training and learning algorithm should be able to do that. You'd just need two keyboard keys to set for the lower and upper limits. You'd just need to have the user use the device, until they came, the first 10 times, and have the user click spacebar just before they came. After the software is trained to the upper limit, it could just have some part of the software interface change color to represent that the software thinks that the user is close to edging; if the user isn't, they could push the other key to train the software on that user's lower limits of edging.

It might also be good to use a training and learning algorithm to discover what range of vibration speed the user finds comfortable.
lemming
Explorer
Explorer

Post by lemming »

Thats tantalizing pijoy! I hope I dont have to wait for a final product to try. I'd rather have prototypes to try both on me and my wife. Obviously I pay more for prototypes and the reliability won't be there yet.

I'd love to test for you AT MY EXPENSE. I don't expect a free ride. Charge whatever you are planning to charge plus shipping plus parts and labor etc. I'm happy to pay and collaborate on beta testing. I don't want any stake in the final business or whatever, I just have dreamed of hooking one of these up to myself and wife for so long I don't want to wait anymore!! :)

PM me if interested.
lemming
Explorer
Explorer

Post by lemming »

PiJoy reading your message again I see you use an anal sensor to measure closeness to orgasm for females. Since I "manually" measure it on my wife via fingers in her vagina, it seems like it would be easy to provide you a lot of very accurate data to tune with.
PiJoy
Explorer
Explorer

Post by PiJoy »

lemming wrote:PiJoy reading your message again I see you use an anal sensor to measure closeness to orgasm for females. Since I "manually" measure it on my wife via fingers in her vagina, it seems like it would be easy to provide you a lot of very accurate data to tune with.
@lemming,

Please check your private messages. I just sent you a long one with lots of detail and questions.

PiJoy
scoobydome
Explorer
Explorer

Post by scoobydome »

Any reason not to use EMG readings directly within the vagina? (Aside from safety which would have to be taken into account...)
PiJoy
Explorer
Explorer

Post by PiJoy »

scoobydome wrote:Any reason not to use EMG readings directly within the vagina? (Aside from safety which would have to be taken into account...)
@scoobydome,

Doing EMG would mean electrical contact with the subject, and doing that safely and to FDA-mandated requirements would add greatly to the complexity and cost. (I used to design medical research equipment, and I know how tough those requirements and safety reviews would be.) Even though I'm not developing a device for either medical treatment or medical diagnosis, having any subject electrical contact would be getting closer than I'm comfortable to safety and regulatory issues.

Another issue is motion artifacts. The muscle contractions make most geometries for vaginal EMG sensors move around, so you get motion artifacts on top of the (already small) EMG signal(s.) FYI, here are some vaginal EMG sensors of differing geometries: http://incontinet.com/cervicalEMG.htm A vaginal photo-plethymsogram (AKA Geer gauge) is what I'd be more likely to use for a vaginal sensor. There are papers in the medical research literature that present and analyze such data; that makes it IMHO a better starting point for a vaginal sensor, if I were to develop one

Thirdly, the first couple working with me toward alpha testing has expressed a preference away from a vaginal sensor. I want to provide them with a system they'll use and give me feedback on how well its working, and what would make it better.
Bandit224
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Bandit224 »

Any news about how the alpha testing, and Penile Plethysmograph, are coming along?
shiba28
Explorer
Explorer
Sexual Orientation: Gay

Post by shiba28 »

Any updates on how the process is going? Would love to see a video of one of these devices in use